The Student Room Group

I want to study Software engineering at a good universities without a-level maths

My current gcse grade for maths is a 4 or a c and my english grade is a 5 for lit and 4 for language if I per say get the right Pearsons Btec national extended diploma grades(3-alevels) can I be accepted into a good university as I don't mind as long is it is technology related apart from media studies plss not recommend me this but any good university where my parents won't taunt me of going there and sorry if this aint grammatically correct I just didn't fix the errors as I am revising for my exam and also nearing closer to my ucas application deadline my apologies
Original post by Anonnymous31232
My current gcse grade for maths is a 4 or a c and my english grade is a 5 for lit and 4 for language if I per say get the right Pearsons Btec national extended diploma grades(3-alevels) can I be accepted into a good university as I don't mind as long is it is technology related apart from media studies plss not recommend me this but any good university where my parents won't taunt me of going there and sorry if this aint grammatically correct I just didn't fix the errors as I am revising for my exam and also nearing closer to my ucas application deadline my apologies

What do you class as a GOOD university. If you are looking at top universities you might find any. The only way to find out is to check the GCSE requirements for the university and course you are interested. A few years ago I did a list for Computer Science where A level Maths wasnt required and the relevant GCSE requirement. There are very few accepting grade 4 in Maths so you might need to resit your Maths. You can use this to start your research.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
What do you class as a GOOD university. If you are looking at top universities you might find any. The only way to find out is to check the GCSE requirements for the university and course you are interested. A few years ago I did a list for Computer Science where A level Maths wasnt required and the relevant GCSE requirement. There are very few accepting grade 4 in Maths so you might need to resit your Maths. You can use this to start your research.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics

I saw you put liverpool do they actually accept a 4 and if they do can you pls put down a link.
Reply 3
Original post by L2Driller
I saw you put liverpool do they actually accept a 4 and if they do can you pls put down a link.

I dont think Liverpool accept a 4 but they do accept a 6 here the link Computer Science with Software Development BSc (Hons) - 2024/25 entry - Courses - University of Liverpool
Reply 4

I don't think they accept a 4 but they do accept a 6 for this course Computer Science with Software Development BSc (Hons) - 2024/25 entry - Courses - University of Liverpool

This is taken from the current Liverpool website GCSE4/C in English and 4/C in Mathematics

AAA incl. A-level Maths or Computer Science. BTEC DDD* plus A-level Maths or Computer Science. If A-level Maths isn’t taken, require GCSE Maths Grade A (7) or above.
My qualifications are from: United Kingdom.
Your qualificationRequirements
About our typical entry requirements
A levels
AAA including Maths or Computer Science
Narrowly missed the entry requirements on results day? If you've studied these subjects, we may take them into account.
Applicants with the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) are eligible for a reduction in grade requirements. For this course, the offer is ABB with A in the EPQ.
You may automatically qualify for reduced entry requirements through our contextual offers scheme.
If you don't meet the entry requirements, you may be able to complete a foundation year which would allow you to progress to this course.
Available foundation years:
T levels
T levels are not currently accepted.
GCSE4/C in English and 4/C in MathematicsSubject requirements
For applicants from England: For science A levels that include the separately graded practical endorsement, a "Pass" is required.
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate
Acceptable at grade Distinction* (any subject) alongside AA at A level. A Levels must include Mathematics or Computer Science.
BTEC Level 3 Diploma
BTEC Level 3 National Diploma: Acceptable at grade Distinction* Distinction (any subject) alongside A at A level (including Mathematics or Computer Science).
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma: DDD* plus A level Maths or Computer Science. If A level Maths isn’t taken, require GCSE Maths Grade A (7) or above.
International Baccalaureate
36 overall including 5 in Higher Level Mathematics or Computer Science.
Irish Leaving CertificateH1,H1,H2,H2,H2, H2 including H2 in Higher Maths or Computer Science. We also require a minimum of H6 in Higher English, or O3 in Ordinary English and Ordinary Maths (plus indicative Maths test).Scottish Higher/Advanced Higher
Scottish Advanced Higher acceptable on the same basis as A levels
Welsh Baccalaureate AdvancedWelsh Bacc: Acceptable at grade A alongside AA at A level including Maths or Computer Science.Cambridge Pre-U DiplomaPrincipal subjects acceptable in lieu of A levels. D3 in Cambridge Pre U Principal Subject is accepted as equivalent to A-Level grade A M2 in Cambridge Pre U Principal Subject is accepted as equivalent to A-Level grade B Global Perspectives and Short Courses are not accepted.AccessConsidered if taking a relevant subject. 45 Level 3 credits at Distinction, including 15 Level 3 credits in Mathematical or Computer Science subjects is required. GCSE English and Mathematics grade C/grade 4 or above also required.International qualifications
Select your country or region to view specific entry requirements.
Many countries have a different education system to that of the UK, meaning your qualifications may not meet our entry requirements. Completing your Foundation Certificate, such as that offered by the University of Liverpool International College, means you're guaranteed a place on your chosen course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending