The Student Room Group

Computer Science, Uni, University, Maths

I want to do Computer Science at Uni. Unfortunately I did not think as far ahead as uni when I received my GCSE results and so I don't do mathematics. I couldn't change to maths because it was an after school class it would not work for me at all with my home life. Can I still apply to good unis except Nottingham for computer science without Maths?

I say except Nottingham, as it's my top option right now
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by aspir0r
I want to do Computer Science at Uni. Unfortunately I did not think as far ahead as uni when I received my GCSE results and so I don't do mathematics. I couldn't change to maths because it was an after school class it would not work for me at all with my home life. Can I still apply to good unis except Nottingham for computer science without Maths?

A pure CS course is very Maths heavy but you could review Cyber Security which have excellent job prospects!
Original post by aspir0r

The majority of Computer Science degrees will require you have have studied A level Mathematics.

For example, these universities all require A levels Mathematics for their Computer Science degrees: University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, University of Manchester, University College London, University of Southampton, University of Exeter, and The University of Sheffield.

Those that will accept candidates without A levels Mathematics (in addition to University of Nottingham, which you've already mentioned) include:

Coventry University (they require "one from Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Further Mathematics, Computer Science, Computing or Design Technology" - see here)
University of Newcastle (they say "We are committed to encouraging the adoption of A level Computing. Students applying with an A level in Computing will receive favourable consideration", but make no mention of A level Maths - although they do required it at GCSE grade 6. See here.)
Oxford Brookes University (oddly, they don't seem to require any particular subjects at A level, but do require GCSE grade 4 in maths - see here).
De Montfort University (like Oxford Brookes, their only requirement is for GCSE grade 4 in maths).

Unfortunately, you're going to have to check each university you're interested in one-by-one to establish what their actual requirements are, and to see whether your A level subjects would be acceptable to them. However, you can see from the above that there are clearly several universities which don't require maths A level.
Original post by aspir0r

Top universities require Maths A level forC omputer Science, Those that didnt are shown below. This is a couple of years old so you will need to check current entry requirements.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics
What is your gcse maths grade?

I’d check Cardiff and lancaster as well as nottingham. Also see if Southampton still have a route via a foundation year.
Original post by aspir0r

Hi @aspir0r, thanks for starting this thread!

I just wanted to give some further information on our entry requirements for Computer Science as @DataVenia and @swanseajack1 have helpfully mentioned already. At Newcastle, we don't require students to have studied A Level Maths and we are happy to consider applications from students without this qualification. But to make sure you won't be at a disadvantage with the mathematical element of the course, we ask that applicants achieve a minimum of a grade B or 6 in GCSE Maths.

The standard entry requirements for our Computer Science BSc Honours programme are grades AAB at A Level in any subjects, excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking. If you'd like to chat to one of our current Computer Science students to find out how they're finding the course or learn about the maths content, our UniBuddy service is a good place to start!

I hope this helps you, and please do get in touch if you'd like to find out more about Computer Science at Newcastle 😊

Scott D
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
What is your gcse maths grade?

I’d check Cardiff and lancaster as well as nottingham. Also see if Southampton still have a route via a foundation year.

my GCSE maths grade is a six
Reply 7
My GCSE is a six , I think Lancaster is definitely up there in my top 3.
Original post by aspir0r
my GCSE maths grade is a six

Sounds like you'd have a great application to Lancaster and Nottingham!
Original post by aspir0r

Hi!

I see some people have mentioned Lancaster already in the replies, but that list is really useful so you should definitely take a look through it. One thing to mention about Lancaster is that we have a major/minor system for first year, meaning you will take a core module of a different degree course during first year as well, so if you have any other interests that might be useful (or not) to Computer Science you may be able to take a minor in this during first year and be able to expand your degree options a bit.

Good luck with your applications!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 10
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi!

I see some people have mentioned Lancaster already in the replies, but that list is really useful so you should definitely take a look through it. One thing to mention about Lancaster is that we have a major/minor system for first year, meaning you will take a core module of a different degree course during first year as well, so if you have any other interests that might be useful (or not) to Computer Science you may be able to take a minor in this during first year and be able to expand your degree options a bit.

Good luck with your applications!

- Laura (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Does that mean I can Minor in Cyber Security, as you have that degree course, as well as studying computer science? :O
Reply 11
I love the idea of cybersecurity :smile: but I'm not sure if I'd ever want to switch over to software engineering in the future.

Original post by Moxy22
A pure CS course is very Maths heavy but you could review Cyber Security which have excellent job prospects!
Original post by aspir0r
Does that mean I can Minor in Cyber Security, as you have that degree course, as well as studying computer science? :O

Hello! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster University. I didn't study A-level further maths. My university wants to emphasize how computer science is a broad topic and not all of them require maths. I think the level of maths required really depends on which aspects of computer science you want to focus on. For example, more maths will be required for fields like AI and machine learning, but it may not be the case for other aspects of Computer Science.

I think the available minor choices might be slightly different every year. I took Linguistics during my first year, and I know some friends from my course who took Economics and some who studied language courses like French. There were also other minor choices that are computer-related during my year, but I decided to take Linguistics because that's also one of my interests. Depending on the timetable of our major's core modules, sometimes the core modules of other degrees might happen at the same time as our major's, so we won't be able to take those subjects.

Here's a link to the course entry requirement for BSc Hons Computer Science at Lancaster University:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/#course-entry

I hope this can help you with making your decision, and feel free to ask current students about the university, the course or just student life in Lancaster on the Unibuddy platform:smile:. Good luck with your application! :smile:

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster University. I didn't study A-level further maths. My university wants to emphasize how computer science is a broad topic and not all of them require maths. I think the level of maths required really depends on which aspects of computer science you want to focus on. For example, more maths will be required for fields like AI and machine learning, but it may not be the case for other aspects of Computer Science.

I think the available minor choices might be slightly different every year. I took Linguistics during my first year, and I know some friends from my course who took Economics and some who studied language courses like French. There were also other minor choices that are computer-related during my year, but I decided to take Linguistics because that's also one of my interests. Depending on the timetable of our major's core modules, sometimes the core modules of other degrees might happen at the same time as our major's, so we won't be able to take those subjects.

Here's a link to the course entry requirement for BSc Hons Computer Science at Lancaster University:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/#course-entry

I hope this can help you with making your decision, and feel free to ask current students about the university, the course or just student life in Lancaster on the Unibuddy platform:smile:. Good luck with your application! :smile:

Thank you so much :smile:!!! This sounds awesomeeeee
Original post by aspir0r
Thank you so much :smile:!!! This sounds awesomeeeee

You're welcome :smile: All the best!

Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
Top universities require Maths A level forC omputer Science, Those that didnt are shown below. This is a couple of years old so you will need to check current entry requirements.

Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Sussex grade 6

Hey there I am currently In year 13 and am studying a level 3 IT extended nation diploma which means I will gain 3 A-levels and ik I may be a year late but I want to go to a good university if I get the right grades but my only issue is my GCSE Maths grade which is a 4 will any good universities except me please because I am really desperate to get some help as I am coming near to the UCAS deadline.
Original post by L2Driller
Hey there I am currently In year 13 and am studying a level 3 IT extended nation diploma which means I will gain 3 A-levels and ik I may be a year late but I want to go to a good university if I get the right grades but my only issue is my GCSE Maths grade which is a 4 will any good universities except me please because I am really desperate to get some help as I am coming near to the UCAS deadline.

Most leading universities require A level Maths with your BTEC. Below is a list I prepared a few years ago of some good universities that dont require A level Maths and their GCSE requirements. You might be wise to resit your Maths

Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Sussex grade 6
Reply 17
Most leading universities require A level Maths with your BTEC. Below is a list I prepared a few years ago of some good universities that dont require A level Maths and their GCSE requirements. You might be wise to resit your Maths

Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Sussex grade 6

I'm not sure as I have always been bad at maths and my only issue is I failed maths the first time and was doing a foundation paper and my english grade was a grade lit (5) and language(4) and say if I got really high grades for my current course would they still let me on the course for some of these universities.
They wont let you in without the appropriate Maths qualification. Computer science has very heavy Maths involvement especially at leading universities. Maybe you should be looking at a less Maths heavy subject
Reply 19
They wont let you in without the appropriate Maths qualification. Computer science has very heavy Maths involvement especially at leading universities. Maybe you should be looking at a less Maths heavy subject

I agree with you but what would you recommend as I’m thinking to switch to game development but is there any less maths heavy degrees to choose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending