The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

How important are Gcse grades for the university of Bath

how important is this part of the application when compared to the predicted grades, subject combinations and personal statement for bath. Im asking this becuase its the weakest part of my application as im appying with 2 gcses because of personal reasons ive applied for accounting and management.
Reply 1
If you meet the basic entry requirements - typically GCSE Maths and English - you will probably be okay.
But you need to make sure that your referee mentions why you only have minimal GCSEs in your UCAS reference.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
If you meet the basic entry requirements - typically GCSE Maths and English - you will probably be okay.
But you need to make sure that your referee mentions why you only have minimal GCSEs in your UCAS reference.

i meet the english gcse grade but miss the maths grade by one (they want 6 but i have 5) but Baths says
" Your GCSE grades will be carefully considered as part of our contextual admissions process and depending on your circumstances, we may be able to consider you with 5 or C in Mathematics or 4 or C in English Language or Literature GCSE."
and i think i meet the contextual criteria but im still worried especially cause its said to be a competitive uni to get into.
Reply 3

i miss the maths grade by one ( they need 6 but i have 5) but Bath says
"Your GCSE grades will be carefully considered as part of our contextual admissions process and depending on your circumstances, we may be able to consider you with 5 or C in Mathematics or 4 or C in English Language or Literature GCSE."
and i think i meet the contextual criteria but im still worried because its said to be a competitive uni to get into
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #1
i miss the maths grade by one ( they need 6 but i have 5) but Bath says
"Your GCSE grades will be carefully considered as part of our contextual admissions process and depending on your circumstances, we may be able to consider you with 5 or C in Mathematics or 4 or C in English Language or Literature GCSE."
and i think i meet the contextual criteria but im still worried because its said to be a competitive uni to get into

If there is a reason why your GCSE Maths grades was low - and why you have not retaken it since - then your referee needs to mention in their reference. You can also submit a separate mitigating circumstances form to the Uni - Understanding mitigating circumstances for undergraduate applicants (bath.ac.uk)
Reply 5
If there is a reason why your GCSE Maths grades was low - and why you have not retaken it since - then your referee needs to mention in their reference. You can also submit a separate mitigating circumstances form to the Uni - Understanding mitigating circumstances for undergraduate applicants (bath.ac.uk)

I moved to the uk at 16 so I did my gcse's at a sixth form college who offered resit gcse's for people who failed thiers in high school so they only offered foundation eventhough i did higher in my country, the teaching i also got wasn't very great as the they were only concerned with getting students pass combined with me adjusting to the new system lead me to the grades i got. My new sixth form does offer resits but again only at foundation for maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
I moved to the uk at 16 so I did my gcse's at a sixth form college who offered resit gcse's for people who failed thiers in high school so they only offered foundation eventhough i did higher in my country, the teaching i also got wasn't very great as the they were only concerned with getting students pass combined with me adjusting to the new system lead me to the grades i got. My new sixth form does offer resits but again only at foundation for maths.

Do the Unis you are applying to require higher Maths or English GCSE grades than this?
Reply 7
Do the Unis you are applying to require higher Maths or English GCSE grades than this?

Im applied to Exeter,Southampton,Queen mary and york who only need a 5 but there A level grades needed are only AAB im predicted A*A*A so i decided Bath (who only need AAA) because its the best business uni i can apply with my Gcse's, i would have picked better ones but i cant cause of my Gcse's.
Reply 8
Unless you are taking A level Maths then the GCSE requirements are important for basic skills level and most Unis will not be flexible about this if you have no other evidence of your Maths skills - and btw, the Unis you have applied to are totally fine for Business, Bath in particular.

Quick Reply

Latest