The Student Room Group

Integrals

Stuck on the deduce part of showing the inequality contains the sum of 1/n from 2 to NScreenshot 2022-06-29 at 23.18.43.png
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Student 999
Stuck on the deduce part of showing the inequality contains the sum of 1/n from 2 to N

(1) You can plug any number in n, i.e. n=2,3,4... etc., and the inequality is still true.
(2) You can add inequalities. i.e. if a>b and c>d, then a+c>b+d.

I'm assuming you're stuck at the start. If you know these facts, the deduction should be fairly straightforward.
In fact, it's kind of a common "trick" involving sums and inequalities.

EDIT: Here's what you can do:

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
IMG_9FE694A31D92-1.jpegI'm struggling to see where I've gone wrong
Original post by tonyiptony
(1) You can plug any number in n, i.e. n=2,3,4... etc., and the inequality is still true.
(2) You can add inequalities. i.e. if a>b and c>d, then a+c>b+d.

I'm assuming you're stuck at the start. If you know these facts, the deduction should be fairly straightforward.
In fact, it's kind of a common "trick" involving sums and inequalities.

EDIT: Here's what you can do:

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
What do you think your problem is? Is it the 1-1/N on the right rather than 1?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mqb2766
What do you think your problem is? Is it the 1-1/N on the right rather than 1?

Yes, are you going to say that N tends to infinity 1-1/N tends to 1 to get that form.
But it isn't stated that N is a big number though?

The only other alternative that I can think of is to use 1-1/N< 1 but then the inequality signs will be different if you sub it in
Yes, are you going to say that N tends to infinity 1-1/N tends to 1 to get that form.

The only other alternative that I can think of is to use 1-1/N< 1 but then the inequality signs will be different if you sub it in

I think theyve just used the 1-1/N < 1 on the assumption that N is "large enough" (though it would be valid for all N). Not sure what you mean about the inequality signs being different as it will say
log()-1 < sum()
so you can conclude that the sum -> inf as log ->inf.

The values of 0 and 1 in the inequality are largely irrelevant as all you want to say is
log() ~< sum()
and as long as the left increasses to infinity, any small corrections to the sum get lost in the noise and we make the same conclusion that the sum() increases to infinitiy.
(edited 1 year ago)

I think you're getting ahead of yourself here.
At this point of the question, we didn't mention n being "large enough". It's just that n>1 (presumably a natural number as well, that's kind of the unspoken rule of math). So a simple 11n<1\displaystyle 1-\frac{1}{n}<1 will do.

Unless you've jumped ahead and I'm not aware.
(edited 1 year ago)
Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 11.11.43.pngI'm now confused again haha, from my above post I have ln(N) - sum <=1-1/N which isn't what they asked me to deduce. Hence I said that 1-1/N < 1 for all natural numbers of N however that'll result to my inequality to be ln(N) -sum < 1 which is what I'm confused about since I have the inequality sign <1 not <=1 which is what they want me to show.
Screenshot 2022-07-01 at 11.11.43.pngI'm now confused again haha, from my above post I have ln(N) - sum <=1-1/N which isn't what they asked me to deduce. Hence I said that 1-1/N < 1 for all natural numbers of N however that'll result to my inequality to be ln(N) -sum < 1 which is what I'm confused about since I have the inequality sign <1 not <=1 which is what they want me to show.

Showing < is stronger than <= and its < for all finite N. In the limit, it tends to 1. However, makes "zero" difference to the final deduction.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest