The Student Room Group

Twenty-one Oxbridge colleges took no black students last year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aj12
Afro-Caribbean men have the lowest literacy and maths scores, from this its not suprising many do not go onto oxbridge. The uni does not even know the race so its got nothing to do with that.

I love that this is getting negs despite I did not actually say anything racist.

Actually universities do know applicants race. If you don't believe me check your application to university and you will see a question on background.

Soo many of you who have responded to this post are just highlighting that you're a racist too. I'm a white girl and i definately believe oxbridge are still racist. 5 black students all applied to oxford for the same course in my college and the white guy whos application was no where near as good as theres managed to get an interview; whilst the others did not.

They no what they are doing, they are still trying to keep black people below white people. But these days they don't even need to go oxbridge to become something great. So oxbridge can stuff themselves.
Reply 241
Original post by MissPrecious..x
Actually universities do know applicants race. If you don't believe me check your application to university and you will see a question on background.

Soo many of you who have responded to this post are just highlighting that you're a racist too. I'm a white girl and i definately believe oxbridge are still racist. 5 black students all applied to oxford for the same course in my college and the white guy whos application was no where near as good as theres managed to get an interview; whilst the others did not.

They no what they are doing, they are still trying to keep black people below white people. But these days they don't even need to go oxbridge to become something great. So oxbridge can stuff themselves.

Actually I've only had about two replies to this post that I have seen. This one and another one.

If you read what I said its a statistic. Believe it or not but you cannot argue that black afro-Caribbean men tend to be behind their other class mates. They also tend to do worst in Maths and English tests slightly below white working class boys. This is a fact. Did I say black people are stupid? No. I repeated a fact that black children tend to do worse in tests. This could be for a whole multitude of reasons.

Are you an admission tutor working for Oxford? Did;t think so.

No thats just what you think they are doing based on some random anedotal evidence you have.
Reply 242
They can't give places to black people who don't apply. They probably make up less than 1% of all applicants..
Original post by DarkWhite
Maybe I'm confused, but if you don't describe yourself as black, and don't describe yourself as white, then what would you desribe yourself as?

Are you serious? :lolwut:

Do you think the world is made up of just white people and black people? What about Asian people: Indians, Pakistanis, etc. South Asians? Do you think Chinese and Japanese people are black? Or white? :rolleyes:
That's what I'm asking him - black and white aren't races, so what would non-blacks and non-whites describe themself as in terms of colour? After all, that's what the article is focusing on - colour.

Ah I understand what you meant now. Well this is a pretty standard ethnicity classification scheme: http://www.hounslow.gov.uk/monitoring_form.pdf
Reply 245
That's what I'm asking him - black and white aren't races, so what would non-blacks and non-whites describe themself as in terms of colour? After all, that's what the article is focusing on - colour.

Well I'm chinese and I think i'm actually whiter than most whites ( who seem rather pink to me). Quite sure i'm classified as 'yellow' by the 'whites though. Oh well, :rolleyes:
Reply 246
Original post by henryt
He must've bombed on his LNAT (which he naturally fails to mention).

LNAT results are emailed to applicants in January; candidates can't know them unless universities who take the LNAT tell them what they got on it. I think all of this is just an unfortunate consequence of applying for university the year before the increase in tuition fees. Oxford probably saw a spike in admissions and became more competitive as a result or something.
Reply 247

Maybe I'm confused, but if you don't describe yourself as black, and don't describe yourself as white, then what would you desribe yourself as? Some 1800s race clasifications use black, brown, white and yellow, but apart from that, I'm struggling to understand what you're asking :s

i relli lyk how you strayed completely from the subject, im askin what are the statitics of other ethnicities how have and are studying at oxbridge doesnt relli matter which of the 1800's types of race their from. dnt quote me if you can't reply with something sensible
Reply 248

AND BY THE WAY IM AM A GIRL! or do you need to bring statitics into that??
Reply 249
Original post by Krebs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/dec/06/oxford-colleges-no-black-students

"The university's admissions data confirms that only one black Briton of Caribbean descent was accepted for undergraduate study at Oxford last year"

Way to single someone out.

"I'm black and applied for Law at Oxford this year. Got 5 As at AS level, near-perfect predictions far beyond what they ask for and pretty nifty GCSE grades too. Didn't even get an interview and everyone thought there was something smelly in the water. They never told me why I wasn't good enough. I would be very worried for the future and direction of our society if this is why."- a comment

Why aren’t more black students getting into Oxford?
Oxford’s research shows that school attainment is the single biggest barrier to getting more black students to Oxford. In 2007, for example, around 23% of all white students nationally gained three As at A level (excluding General Studies), but just 9.6% of black students. Or look at it in numbers, in 2009: 29,000 white students got the requisite grades for Oxford (AAA excluding General Studies) compared to just 452 black students.

Once black students do apply, Oxford's own recent analysis shows that subject choice is a major reason for their lower success rate. Black students apply disproportionately for the most oversubscribed subjects. 44% of all black applicants apply for Oxford’s three most oversubscribed subjects (compared to just 17% of all white applicants). That means that nearly half of black applicants are applying for the same three subjects, and these are the three toughest subjects for admission.

Take Medicine. After Economics & Management, it is the most oversubscribed subject at Oxford. There are about eight applicants for every place available, all predicted top grades. A massive 29% of all black applicants to Oxford apply for Medicine compared to just 7% of all white applicants. No wonder the success rate is low.

Obviously this raises crucial questions for Oxford about what more it can do in its work with schools, teachers, and prospective candidates about subject choice. But what the statistics emphatically do not show is anything to substantiate accusations of discrimination or exclusion by the University.

On a related point, much has been made of the ‘one black Caribbean student’ admitted to Oxford in 2009. Not one black student, but one black Caribbean student - in one year, looking at only UK candidates, and only undergraduates. As Oxford has pointed out before, this is very selective use of data. In that year, there were actually 27 black UK students admitted to Oxford. Beyond black students alone, 22% of Oxford’s overall student body is non-white (BME).

http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/behind_the_headlines/101307.html
(edited 13 years ago)
The 'blacks' just weren't intelligent enough then.
"In England and Wales, 1.1 per cent of people are Black Caribbean, 0.9 per cent are Black African and a further 0.2 per cent are from Other Black groups" - It makes sense that if only 2.2 percent of the population are Black that admission into Oxbridge will be lower...
Original post by paula.a
AND BY THE WAY IM AM A GIRL! or do you need to bring statitics into that??

What on Earth are you on about? We were talking about race, ethnic origin, and skin colour; none of which [really] have anything to do with gender.

If you must know though, http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/gender.html
Reply 253
Where is there a space on the application form to say you're black?
ya darnt need oxfard me bredrin
I think it is around 1 in 10 ethnic applicants that is successful to Oxbridge whilst 1 in 3 or 4 "white" applicants are successful. There is racism, its just the way the world is.
Reply 256
Original post by King-Panther
I think it is around 1 in 10 ethnic applicants that is successful to Oxbridge whilst 1 in 3 or 4 "white" applicants are successful. There is racism, its just the way the world is.

Unless you can provide a source for this I will just have to assume you're making it up to suit your agenda. I'm almost certain that 1/3 of white applicants are not successful given that applications for places are way in excess of 3 to 1 for most courses and most applicants are white.

In any case, it still wouldn't necessarily be a sign of racism, as Oxford say "Once black students do apply, Oxford's own recent analysis shows that subject choice is a major reason for their lower success rate. Black students apply disproportionately for the most oversubscribed subjects. 44% of all black applicants apply for Oxford’s three most oversubscribed subjects (compared to just 17% of all white applicants). That means that nearly half of black applicants are applying for the same three subjects, and these are the three toughest subjects for admission."
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 257

What on Earth are you on about? We were talking about race, ethnic origin, and skin colour; none of which [really] have anything to do with gender.

If you must know though, http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/facts_and_figures/undergraduate_admissions_statistics/gender.html

you called me 'him' so i felt the need to remind you of that, despite it having nothing to do with the subject
Original post by Kiwiguy

Would you prefer to be called the negro's? :smile:

Would you prefer to be called the illiterate?

Hero, heroes. Do you spot a pattern?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 259
No surprise really, as so few black kids get even the minimum requirement for Oxford, AAA. And before you bash me, the statistics linked in the article on the University of Oxford's website confirms this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending