The Student Room Group

GCSE Options (please read and help me)

I've made like twenty threads on this topic, I'm a big overthinker and I don't know what's wrong with me, so I'm really sorry about yet another post. (please do help if you can though)
Okay, so my GCSE options are due in the week back to school, and I'm currently taking triple sci, eng, maths, hopefully FMSQ (y9 maths eoy will decide, I'm top set and working hard so its highly likely), spanish and computing. Now, I have 2 choices left, and my options are history, geography and drama.

History
- great for law (which is a career option for me)
- interesting
- could get a 9 with hard work (though this is true for all subjects)
- unis like it since its academic
- if I ever decide to take it as like a 4th A Level, it will be useful, though it's a bit unlikely
- I'm good at it (10/10 on last essay assessment)
- other stuff that I can't remember, but its all around a good subject
however:
- apparently very hard to memorise everything, and therefore stressful

geography
- human geography is interesting
- my school has a very high rate for 8s and 9s in it
- it's easier than history
- it's academic, so again good for uni
- will get 9 with hard work
- content is more about current events, which is better for understanding the world imo
- I'm good at it (17/20 on last assessment)
however:
- I'm unlikely to take it at a level
- two humanities could be really stressful on top of my other 9 subjects
- physical geography bores me, though I'm certain I'd be able to learn it and still get a 9 (I'd gaslight myself into thinking its important)

drama
- there's this bit at the back of my head that really, really wants to be an actor and just isn't ready to give up gcse drama as it's my last chance to act properly before taking academic a levels
- less stressful, fun subject
- probably would look forward to it every week but not sure if my opinion about it will change
- can get a 9
- (want to add, I know that there's essays and portfolios, I'm fine with all that)
however:
- group projects might mean that other people decide not to work (although this is fairly unlikely since i go to a highly academic school and everyone wants 9s)
- if I take it, I have to choose between history and geography and I *cant* do that (I don't understand my stupid self sometimes)
- universities such as oxbridge look down on it because its a creative (this is a *big* concern for me)
- none of my friends are taking creatives (yes I know I'm not meant to copy my friends but it's really just because I try to overachieve too much, and I don't want to be hindered by my options)
- all websites say to not take creatives if you want to go into law or medicine or other academic careers

Yeah, so the options are history + geography, or humanity + drama.
For drama, my biggest worry is if an university would prefer a 9 in geography over a 9 in drama, because I don't want my choices now to hinder me in any way when I apply in the future. For history + geography, I'm mainly worried about being stressed about (I have goals to get all 9s, and I'll be damn annoyed at myself if my options stop me from that). I'm also quite academic but everyone needs a calm down space imo.
Thank you so much if you're still reading. I'm extremely stressed out about my options and I really, really, *really* need advice, tips, basically anything you can tell me.
Reply 1
Hey! I do GCSE History on the Edexcel board, with my schools topics being Medicine through Time, Western Front 1914-18, Anglo-Saxon and Norman England, American West and Weimar and Nazi Germany.
Although there is a lot of content it's all pretty easy, and essays are easy to structure for most of the topics. The only weird one is American West, but your school probably does something different. If you're good at it now I'd highly recommend it.

I have friends who do GCSE Geography and they all say it's pretty easy. One of my friends does both and she says Geography is easier than History. I understand you might be stressed taking two extra humanities, but they're both fairly alright content-wise so long as you have a good memory, plus they do look good when applying to sixth form or college.

Now, Drama. My sisters both took drama, and they hated it. Everyone I know who takes drama has hated it. It's difficult to analyse, the group projects are a pain (as my sister said, you're only as good as your weakest member) and it's just a horrible subject. Obviously, I'm biased since I only have negative experiences, but one of my sisters was predicted a 9 and only got a 6, despite spending more time revising for it than any other subject.

However, your stress about uni- don't worry. Seriously. I get stressed all the time, and everyone tells me to just chill. They care more about grades than what subject you do, so just take GCSE's you enjoy and think you can get the highest in (obviously, check grade requirements for A-levels you're thinking of taking). Also, you're clearly well smart if you're in triple in year 9- I wouldn't be so worried. All 9's is a big thing, and Oxbridge tend to accept students more based on A-levels than GCSE's. So long as you pass everything, preferably getting 6/7's and above, it'll be fine.

If you're still interested in drama, maybe see if you can join a school production? Some schools let you join even if you aren't doing drama GCSE. If not, there might be a local amateur dramatics group you can join- that's what I did.

If you want any more advice, feel free to reply! I can ask people I know about their experiences, but I'm more than happy to help.
Hi, Im in year 10 at the minute. I can explain about geo as i take it, my sister takes btec drama and history so i can talk about those as well. My school made us choose between history and geography and most my year took geography. If you are considering law as a future career, history is very well respected in that field and i would take it to cover that basis. It is not a requirement to do law, but it will help with essay writing and the history behind law and crime and punishment.

Universities are starting to respect creative subjects more so i wouldnt worry about that. Drama can help with confidence and pairs really well with history. If you really enjoy the subject then I would take it, something as a bit of a break from all the core and career focused subjects your taking.

As for geo, Physical Geography isnt as boring as i first thought. We studied coasts and glaciers in y9 before we chose and i quite enjoyed coasts. In y10 we looked at natural hazards- volcanoes, earthquakes climate change, tropical storms. You look at case studies which link the physical to the human side of geography. We looked at Haiti 2010 earthquake, Japan 2011 earthquake and tsunami and Hurricane Katrina. Currently, we're doing the human side of geo, looking at Rio. I dont think this will present an issue, but if you are poorer in maths, there is maths content in geography, reading graphs, calculating mean etc. Also, there is fieldwork during the course, this means youll go on a trip. You have to remember this for the exam as it comes up in paper 3.

All in all, choose the two that you think you will ENJOY the most. Often, if you enjoy something more, it will lead to more motivation to study and eventually better grades. If physical geo isnt something you think youd enjoy, but you would enjoy taking the other 2, take history and drama.

If you have any questions on any of these subjects, Im more than happy to answer.

also should mention, my school are AQA for geo and history and BTEC Drama
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
hi! i did my gcses a while ago, 2020, and being honest they don’t impact as much as you’d think. i did gcse drama, geography and german. i ended up being really bad at geography, i only took it because of my teacher at the time, but i thrived in drama. i ended up doing it for a level too, i’m now doing a performance arts diploma before heading to uni to study acting in the autumn. at gcse level, not everyone actually cares about drama. it’s the harsh truth. people do take it bc they view it as an “easy subject”, but trust me it’s the opposite. performing skills, matched with written work and timed essays. it’s a lot more full on than people perceive it. geography was kinda fun, but i’m not very mathematical so i struggled when it came to those aspects. the trips were fun, but that’s about it. i do wish i had chosen history over geography in that department. overall, i’d say go with your gut. don’t worry about your future just yet, you’re still young. choose subjects you want to study, not ones you think universities will find appealing, it’ll make school life a lot more enjoyable
Reply 4
Original post by i_am_a_potato
I've made like twenty threads on this topic, I'm a big overthinker and I don't know what's wrong with me, so I'm really sorry about yet another post. (please do help if you can though)
Okay, so my GCSE options are due in the week back to school, and I'm currently taking triple sci, eng, maths, hopefully FMSQ (y9 maths eoy will decide, I'm top set and working hard so its highly likely), spanish and computing. Now, I have 2 choices left, and my options are history, geography and drama.

History
- great for law (which is a career option for me)
- interesting
- could get a 9 with hard work (though this is true for all subjects)
- unis like it since its academic
- if I ever decide to take it as like a 4th A Level, it will be useful, though it's a bit unlikely
- I'm good at it (10/10 on last essay assessment)
- other stuff that I can't remember, but its all around a good subject
however:
- apparently very hard to memorise everything, and therefore stressful

geography
- human geography is interesting
- my school has a very high rate for 8s and 9s in it
- it's easier than history
- it's academic, so again good for uni
- will get 9 with hard work
- content is more about current events, which is better for understanding the world imo
- I'm good at it (17/20 on last assessment)
however:
- I'm unlikely to take it at a level
- two humanities could be really stressful on top of my other 9 subjects
- physical geography bores me, though I'm certain I'd be able to learn it and still get a 9 (I'd gaslight myself into thinking its important)

drama
- there's this bit at the back of my head that really, really wants to be an actor and just isn't ready to give up gcse drama as it's my last chance to act properly before taking academic a levels
- less stressful, fun subject
- probably would look forward to it every week but not sure if my opinion about it will change
- can get a 9
- (want to add, I know that there's essays and portfolios, I'm fine with all that)
however:
- group projects might mean that other people decide not to work (although this is fairly unlikely since i go to a highly academic school and everyone wants 9s)
- if I take it, I have to choose between history and geography and I *cant* do that (I don't understand my stupid self sometimes)
- universities such as oxbridge look down on it because its a creative (this is a *big* concern for me)
- none of my friends are taking creatives (yes I know I'm not meant to copy my friends but it's really just because I try to overachieve too much, and I don't want to be hindered by my options)
- all websites say to not take creatives if you want to go into law or medicine or other academic careers

Yeah, so the options are history + geography, or humanity + drama.
For drama, my biggest worry is if an university would prefer a 9 in geography over a 9 in drama, because I don't want my choices now to hinder me in any way when I apply in the future. For history + geography, I'm mainly worried about being stressed about (I have goals to get all 9s, and I'll be damn annoyed at myself if my options stop me from that). I'm also quite academic but everyone needs a calm down space imo.
Thank you so much if you're still reading. I'm extremely stressed out about my options and I really, really, *really* need advice, tips, basically anything you can tell me.
Hey! As a Year 11 currently taking her GCSEs I will warn you that drama is a lot of hard work but so worth it and you will love having a practical subject so I can only highly recommend it! Just stay on top of your coursework! And unis actually really like to see that you’re getting involved with things outside everyone else. I.e if you’re thinking of applying to oxbridge everyone will take history etc but drama shows that you have aptitude to get involved in other stuff and other passions other than academics which is a huge thing for them in interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest