The Student Room Group

which Cambridge college should I apply to

Im hoping to apply to do `physical NatSci in 2023, and am having difficulty choosing what college I want to go to. Im trying to decide between Fitzwilliam and homerton. My issue is I saw homerton at an open day last month and loved it, the atmosphere, facilities (I especially liked ensuites for all years and how its less formal than other colleges), and I didn't see Fitzwilliam, but the pictures online are really swaying me, especially kitchen size/facilities and location. Any advice? I am aware in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter but I just want to make sure I make the right choice:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Fitzwilliam is much closer to West Cambridge site, where a lot of the main science Depts (Physics, Materials Science) are located, so you will be travelling less to practicals held there. The atmosopheres are roughly similar (both non-traditional, relatively modern with high proportion of state school students). If it's important to you, Fitz regularly outperforms Homerton in the Collegiate academic league tables.
Reply 2
Original post by lordaxil
Fitzwilliam is much closer to West Cambridge site, where a lot of the main science Depts (Physics, Materials Science) are located, so you will be travelling less to practicals held there. The atmosopheres are roughly similar (both non-traditional, relatively modern with high proportion of state school students). If it's important to you, Fitz regularly outperforms Homerton in the Collegiate academic league tables.

Ah, ok, thank you! I didn't realise Fitzwilliam was also less traditional, its making me lean more towards there:smile:
Reply 3
sooo which did you end up picking?
Reply 4
Honestly I did ip dip do cause I could not choose for the life of me😅, but I went for Fitzwilliam in the end. But if I do get in, I dont think I will care where I am as long as I'm am there!
Original post by cersef
sooo which did you end up picking?
Reply 5
Original post by ava1289827
Honestly I did ip dip do cause I could not choose for the life of me😅, but I went for Fitzwilliam in the end. But if I do get in, I dont think I will care where I am as long as I'm am there!

Haha fair enough
I picked fitz cuz of the kitchens lol
Im hoping to apply to do `physical NatSci in 2023, and am having difficulty choosing what college I want to go to. Im trying to decide between Fitzwilliam and homerton. My issue is I saw homerton at an open day last month and loved it, the atmosphere, facilities (I especially liked ensuites for all years and how its less formal than other colleges), and I didn't see Fitzwilliam, but the pictures online are really swaying me, especially kitchen size/facilities and location. Any advice? I am aware in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter but I just want to make sure I make the right choice:smile:

Heya!
If it's of any help, you could check out this Oxbridge college comparison tool that goes over all of the colleges and their differences in a lot of detail :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
Oxbridge Mind
Reply 7
we’re two weeks past deadline-

Please note that Oxbridge Mind is a commercial company which is trying to make money out of you. Do not fall for their folksy marketing.

The information which they have linked commercially is all available for free on the Cambridge university websites, with links to college pages etc. It's more complete and more authoritative, so please use that instead. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by cersef
Haha fair enough
I picked fitz cuz of the kitchens lol

Ngl that was a huge factor for me wanting to go there too lol, what course have you applied to?
Ngl that was a huge factor for me wanting to go there too lol, what course have you applied to?

Yea ahaha i was stuck btwn this & emma, but made kitchens my final decisions
I’m applying to med 🫡
I know quite a few people who thought about applying to emma, but all of them decided not to idk why
Cant tell whether med would be my worst nightmare or kinda fun haha
Original post by cersef
Yea ahaha i was stuck btwn this & emma, but made kitchens my final decisions
I’m applying to med 🫡
I know quite a few people who thought about applying to emma, but all of them decided not to idk why
Cant tell whether med would be my worst nightmare or kinda fun haha

Maybe they saw the kitchens😭😭😭
I rlly was set on it tho bc i knew I’d feel at peace staring at the pretty pond

Probably leaning more into nightmare tho💀
Original post by cersef
Maybe they saw the kitchens😭😭😭
I rlly was set on it tho bc i knew I’d feel at peace staring at the pretty pond

Probably leaning more into nightmare tho💀

I mean the pretty pond might help you to be less stressed, but ovens>pond any day😭

Hahaha I feel you!! My teachers keep telling me their experiences at uni and its fully putting me off it😭😭
(edited 1 year ago)
welp all the best w the rest of your application!! God bless <33
hi! is this chat still open?
i've applied to fitz for physical natsci, mainly for the reasons people have listed above - great accom, close to the physics and materials sciences depts (which is what i want to eventually end up in), when did people who applied last year hear back? i know the rough timescale is coming up soon but since their interview period is the 4th to 15th december this year, how much notice do they give?
i'm absolutely overstressing about this but hey its still nice to know when i would expect an email, whether it's good or bad news.
Reply 16
Original post by asqwdfrgthjk
hi! is this chat still open?
i've applied to fitz for physical natsci, mainly for the reasons people have listed above - great accom, close to the physics and materials sciences depts (which is what i want to eventually end up in), when did people who applied last year hear back? i know the rough timescale is coming up soon but since their interview period is the 4th to 15th december this year, how much notice do they give?
i'm absolutely overstressing about this but hey its still nice to know when i would expect an email, whether it's good or bad news.

I heard back November 29th (took some finding lol), and I was the last out of everyone I knew to get a response, everyone else in my school got a reply a week or two before. I think the interviews were around the same time as well, so I’d expect to hear back in the next couple weeks. Good luck with everything!!
I heard back November 29th (took some finding lol), and I was the last out of everyone I knew to get a response, everyone else in my school got a reply a week or two before. I think the interviews were around the same time as well, so I’d expect to hear back in the next couple weeks. Good luck with everything!!

ok thank you!! oh dear that's still ages to wait... im in the same position with everyone else hearing back much earlier, one of my friends heard back nov 6th!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending