The Student Room Group

How old is the average A level student?

I never took A levels and it’s something I regret. I’m just curious what the average age an a level student is when they take their A Levels? And what year are they taken in
average age would be between 17-18, heavily skewed towards 18 - Year 13 for England
A Levels are studied in years 12 and 13, then the actual exams are taken at the end if year 13. You would be 16-17 in yr12 and 17-18 in yr13, so I guess the average age of an A Level student is 17 (most likely 18 when they take the exams), although some people do take them later on in life or during a gap year.
Having a late birthday i was actually only 17 when i took the exams, though 18 when i received my results, i have read this is rare for Grammar school students.
A friend of mine only just qualified for my year having a mid August birthday so was only 17 on results day, and actually still 17 only about 10 days before the start of the next academic year.
Two of my year actually stayed an additional year (3rd year 6th or year 14) to try and beef up their results, it was not common but most years at least one person did, not sure if this practice still continues (i read that if you are 18 or under on 1st August you can remain in school or 6th form college).
Also back in the 60s apparently Oxbridge candidates did an additional term at school??? It is actually mentioned in the obituary of a teacher who died suddenly and was also a former pupil, no idea how this worked.

Quick Reply

Latest