Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    As am I, how's the preperstion going? Magdalen, you?
    Nice, and I'll start tomorrow! I haven't had the time :/ It is pretty hard aha
    Awesome, I'm applying to merton xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennieRDS)
    Yay. Biochem! I applied to St Johns. You?

Absolutely loved the St Andrews open day. I like how the university is spread across the whole town (probably one of the reasons that I also love Oxford) and, like you, enjoy the calmness that comes from a small town like St Andrews. Where else did you apply? All biochemistry?
    Hi Jenny,
    I applied to Oxford (Lady Margaret Hall- as I thought it was the most relaxed atmosphere, starting to see a pattern here , St Andrews, Leicester, Bath and Edinburgh. I applied for biochem for all of them except some of them are biological sciences (biochemistry), not pure biochemistry.

What about you? Where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    Hi I also applied to Oxford, and Edinburgh (My other options are Glasgow, imperial and UCL) for Biochemistry.
    The interviews are held in December, and as far as I know, they will tell the ones listed for interviews a week or so before.
    Good luck!
    Thank you!
    So does that mean we will get notification of the interviews at the start of December??
    Man, I'm so nervous already!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find another thread more suitable so?! I'm really worried about the GCSE grades I got, I only got Cs and Bs I was predicted B/As but I had some very severe personal issues (family bereavement, parents divorce, and my own suicide attempt) hit all in the space of 2 months right before my exams. My school never told me about being able to notify the exam board about special circumstances so I never bothered. I'm really stressed out that now my GCSEs are going to cause problems for uni requirements (I'm looking at UCL, LSE, Queen Mary, Oxford and Cambridge). On the website all unis say that if there were personal problems which resulted in bad grades they will take that into consideration, and I've seen people saying that if it looks like you've made a massive improvement (I'm looking at 4 As for AS) that they tend not to be overly bothered about bad GCSE grades. However, it's it still a massive nag in my head, and is really bringing my self worth down! Sorry this is such a long winded questions! I do hope someone has an answer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyannie)
    Thank you!
    So does that mean we will get notification of the interviews at the start of December??
    Man, I'm so nervous already!!
    Yes, I'm quite nervous too, but we have to be patient!
    Exactly, we won't hear if we have been invited for interviews until then, so now all we can do is wait and focus on other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mulherinea01)
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find another thread more suitable so?! I'm really worried about the GCSE grades I got, I only got Cs and Bs I was predicted B/As but I had some very severe personal issues (family bereavement, parents divorce, and my own suicide attempt) hit all in the space of 2 months right before my exams. My school never told me about being able to notify the exam board about special circumstances so I never bothered. I'm really stressed out that now my GCSEs are going to cause problems for uni requirements (I'm looking at UCL, LSE, Queen Mary, Oxford and Cambridge). On the website all unis say that if there were personal problems which resulted in bad grades they will take that into consideration, and I've seen people saying that if it looks like you've made a massive improvement (I'm looking at 4 As for AS) that they tend not to be overly bothered about bad GCSE grades. However, it's it still a massive nag in my head, and is really bringing my self worth down! Sorry this is such a long winded questions! I do hope someone has an answer!
    Are you applying for next year (October 2016) ? or for 2017?

If you have alredy applied I think that you might send an email to your college or university, explaining your extenuating circumtances. If you are going to apply next year, just talk with your reference teacher and ask them to explain the circumstances.

About the GCSEs, I'm just an applicant, but as far as I'm concerned, if you have good AS and good predicted grades you won't have many problems. As long as you are passioante about the subject and show them that you have improved your grades, bad GCSE performance shouldn't really affect you negatively.

Best of luck anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone for Queen's here? :crown:

ReputationRep:

If you have alredy applied I think that you might send an email to your college or university, explaining your extenuating circumtances. If you are going to apply next year, just talk with your reference teacher and ask them to explain the circumstances.

About the GCSEs, I'm just an applicant, but as far as I'm concerned, if you have good AS and good predicted grades you won't have many problems. As long as you are passioante about the subject and show them that you have improved your grades, bad GCSE performance shouldn't really affect you negatively.

Best of luck anyway!
    For letting them know about special circumstances (or anything really), the communication must come from your school, not you - don't email them yourselves, talk to your referee or someone at school and they should know what they have to do.

ReputationRep:

Best of luck anyway!
    I'm apply for 2017. I will definitely get my teacher to include it. Thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    I'm apply for 2017. I will definitely get my teacher to include it. Thank you for the advice!
    You're welcome, next year when you are making the application just remember your teachers to talk about it on the UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iscribbletoomuch)
    Nice, and I'll start tomorrow! I haven't had the time :/ It is pretty hard aha
    Awesome, I'm applying to merton xD
    Ahh good luck, it is pretty tough yeh! The physics part especially

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportyannie)
    Hi Jenny,
    I applied to Oxford (Lady Margaret Hall- as I thought it was the most relaxed atmosphere, starting to see a pattern here , St Andrews, Leicester, Bath and Edinburgh. I applied for biochem for all of them except some of them are biological sciences (biochemistry), not pure biochemistry.

What about you? Where else did you apply?
    I've heard many people comment on the friendliness of LMH. I didn't visit it in the end though which is a shame. I applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York and Glasgow. All for biochemistry but, yes, some are biological sciences first and foremost. I'm very excited!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else looking to enter in 2018? Applied this year but will need to defer due to Army commitments. Jurisprudence at Keble!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseyBrown)
    At the open day they made a big deal about the importance of that HAT in shortlisting for interviews, along with GCSEs, but with more weight.

But I also think it is more than just something to get you to interview, and they will use your score along with everything else to make a final decision. I had quite a long chat with a History tutor, and she placed a lot of emphasis on it. I can kind of see why - it's definitely a different level to AS and A2.
    I figured it would be, I know the bottom 20% automatically get scrapped so I'm nervous. What else did she mention, what do they look at when considering applicants? Is your personal statement important? Do they even look at that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unistresshelp)
    I figured it would be, I know the bottom 20% automatically get scrapped so I'm nervous. What else did she mention, what do they look at when considering applicants? Is your personal statement important? Do they even look at that?
    Yes, they look at the PS- *esp* in a joint subject: it's your first shot at articulating why you are a good candidate for doing both subjects, and both sides read the PS to see how you link them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Ahh good luck, it is pretty tough yeh! The physics part especially
    Thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCDude)
    Yes, they look at the PS- *esp* in a joint subject: it's your first shot at articulating why you are a good candidate for doing both subjects, and both sides read the PS to see how you link them.
    But not so much if you're applying to do just history?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Cambridge has an ECF (Extenuating Circumstances Form). You will need to get your school or doctor or similar to complete it and send it when you apply in Oct 2016.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...umstances-form

It will NOT disadvantage your application if you have an ECF, and will help them to understand the context of your academic perfromance.

Also Cambridge is not so concerned by "less good" GCSEs anyway especially if they can see a strong academic performance at AS/A2.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else here applied to Oriel?
    I'm feeling kinda lonely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    Sent mine off for Geog at Jesus - anyone else applying for Jesus or Geog?
    I have! Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.