The Student Room Group

Will Germany dominate international football like Spain?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pane123
Schweinsteiger and Khedira aren't very effective as defensive mids.

There were several occasions in which the Germany defence looked vulnerable. There is a severe lack of pace at the back, which is why we saw it being mixed up as the tournament progressed. Germany didn't look anything special in the run up to the World Cup and were conceding goals to the likes of Cameroon.

Khedira is a good defensive mid, Schweinsteiger is hardly a defensive midfielder. He's very much a central player. Lahm and Boateng aren't slow and Howedes is not as far as I'm aware a first teamer in general. That just leaves Hummels, who otherwise is a good defender. Infact Lahm, Boateng and Hummels are all really good defenders.
Original post by Xinho
Khedira is a good defensive mid, Schweinsteiger is hardly a defensive midfielder. He's very much a central player. Lahm and Boateng aren't slow and Howedes is not as far as I'm aware a first teamer in general. That just leaves Hummels, who otherwise is a good defender. Infact Lahm, Boateng and Hummels are all really good defenders.

I was responding to someone who said Schweinsteiger was a good defensive midfielder. Khedira is not a defensive midfielder.

It doesn't matter if they are all good defenders, the fact of the matter is that Germany have looked vulnerable at the back in recent times. I struggle to see where the debate is here.

I am not suggesting it's a bad defence, in fact, I think it's very good, but far from perfect. I am simply responding to the question, "will Germany dominate international football?" and my answer is "no, I don't think so".
(edited 9 years ago)
Goetze 22, Kramer 23, Kroos 24, Muller 24, Draxler 20, Boateng 25, Hummells 25, Ozil 25, Schurrle 23, Howedes 26.. Those are just players who were in their world cup squad.

They have tons of young talent on top of all of that. They are going to dominate for years to come.
Original post by Michael!
Goetze 22, Kramer 23, Kroos 24, Muller 24, Draxler 20, Boateng 25, Hummells 25, Ozil 25, Schurrle 23, Howedes 26.. Those are just players who were in their world cup squad.

They have tons of young talent on top of all of that. They are going to dominate for years to come.

You can say the same thing for Spain tbh, they have loads of talented youngsters to replace the likes of Xavi and Iniesta.
Original post by samir12
You can say the same thing for Spain tbh, they have loads of talented youngsters to replace the likes of Xavi and Iniesta.

The difference is that all of those German players have world cup experience. Muller, Goetze, Kroos, Boateng, Hummells etc are already key members of the team. Spain have talented players but as we've seen in this world cup, that doesn't mean you're going to win trophies. It's all about being a well drilled/trained team and Germany's stereotype as being efficient and well organised isn't without merit.

Also. Like Germany, England played with a youthful squad with big name players mixed in; they both had an average squad age of around 26. But the difference is that one team ended the tournament with a scrappy point against Costa Rica and the other won the whole thing.
Yes, until they play italy.

Germamy can't beat italy, it's like a law of nature or something.
An interesting comparison of the Spanish GOAT era and the German world champions, both of them drew the core backbone of their team from one single club side in that country

Casillas
Ramos-Puyol-Pique-Capdevila
Xavi-Busquets-Alonso
Iniesta-Torres-Villa

Add in rotational guys like Fabregas and Pedro as well as Jordi Alba who came through in the later years of the era.

Neuer
Lahm-Boateng-Hummels-Hoewedes
Kroos-Khedira-Schweinsteiger
Mueller-Klose-Ozil

Again add in rotational guys like Mario Goetze and also the fact that Klose in an ex-Bayern player who played with many of the Germany squad when he was at Bayern a few years ago. Also let's not forget Holger Badstuber, who would have been a key player for them if he wasn't injured.

The key to winning at international football is for the best club side in your country to be dominated by home grown players and to basically base your national team on the club's line up with one or two extra's added in. It's also telling that so many players have won international tournaments while Pep Guardiola is the manager at their club.
So could say guardiola has indirectly managed 2 groups of players to World Cup victory. GOAT
Exactly it all really started with Pep Guardiola. Spain adopted his style of football and were successful in WC and Euros. Germany also adopted his style (not to the full extent) since he started managing Bayern Munich and won the WC.

The problem is that teams have figured out a way to play against his style so it will be more difficult for Germany to dominate like Spain did.
Original post by samir12
Exactly it all really started with Pep Guardiola. Spain adopted his style of football and were successful in WC and Euros. Germany also adopted his style (not to the full extent) since he started managing Bayern Munich and won the WC.

The problem is that teams have figured out a way to play against his style so it will be more difficult for Germany to dominate like Spain did.

The reason that Barcelona/Spain died out is because the lack of any attacking prowess. Of course Barca have Messi, but then Spain have nothing like that. It says it all when the national team would rather force their best player, Iniesta, to play out wide in order to accomodate an extra holding midfielder.

Germany/Bayern have found the perfect mix of tiki-taka and conviction in attack. Phillip Lahm and Thomas Mueller's linkup play make them tick. It's no coincidence that once Lahm was forced to move back to Right Back, Mueller was moved out to the wing and Klose played.

IMO, Spain would have been a far better side had they taken Xabi Alonso out of the team, let Iniesta play his natural position, and leave Xavi in the team but play him as deep lying midfielder alongside Busquets (like the Italians do with Pirlo/Verratti, and like Barca play), then you can have the tiki-taka between that middle 3 but two proper wingers as a CF.

Casillas
Dave-Ramos-Pique-Alba
Iniesta-Busquets-Xavi
Navas-Negredo-Silva

Something like that
Reply 30
yes...

Quick Reply

Latest