Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is Game of Thrones so popular? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You need to watch at least 5-6 episodes to get into it. I certainly didn't like the first few episodes.
    It gets a lot better. Season 2, 3, 4 are the best.
    The nudity, incest, rape stuff makes it realistic. Just skip ahead if you can't handle it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Okay good to hear. They are far too frequent at the moment, it just kills it for me.
    To make matters worse, she's from quite a conservative Indian Sikh family :lol: I think her dad recommended they watch it together but he obv didn't know about the scenes in it.

I know what you mean, I was a bit surprised when I first started watching it. You'll eventually find out why everyone's obsessed by the programme though.

Give it a bit of time and watch the plot develop :yes:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    When is GOT at its best?
    season 1 was true to the book and great.
    I enjoyed season 4 the most, since i like the major battle in that season. 2 was okay was well, red wedding was cool.
    the only season i wasnt into like the others was season 5, way to slow at times , same as the current one. But that porbably since i had to watch it week to week since half way through season 4. Muche easier/funner to binge watch it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think it encourages a lot of speculation about plot elements and the relationships between characters, and therefore has become very successful at engaging its viewership. It's not a show you just watch - it's a show you talk about with your friends.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Okay, hear me out peeps.

I spent 2 years of my 6th form life hearing about people talking about GOT and how unbelievably amazing it is. After hearing all this hype surrounding it, I planned to watch it last summer. I didn't get around to watching it but I have today since my exams have finished.

Okay, so I have only watched one episode so far so I haven't given it a proper chance, but I have picked up quite a bit of knowledge on GOT by watching scenes on youtube.

anddddd I don't like it. I mean, I think my main issue is the constant rape, incest and nudity which puts me off. It's a bit much all in one go.

It's a really odd series. It has made me wonder what the books are like.

So help me understand why GOT is supposedly so amazing?
    Just watch it all the way through and you'll see why. The plot is ****ing fantastic and so complex it's amazing.

The start of the first season is slowish for a bit. It gets really good towards the end and the next 5 seasons are just orgasmic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I think it encourages a lot of speculation about plot elements and the relationships between characters, and therefore has become very successful at engaging its viewership. It's not a show you just watch - it's a show you talk about with your friends.
    but...but....what if you don't have friends to talk about GOT with? :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Give it a bit of time and watch the plot develop :yes:
    I won't give up on it yet.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    but...but....what if you don't have friends to talk about GOT with? :cry2:
    There's always the TSR thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    I've watched many Tv series.. almost all the good ones if im being honest. And game of throne was/is new and fresh, there nothing like it out there. Once you watch the same crime drama after crime drama after crime drama ( crime drama is the best way a week to week TV show can start ; most the good Tv series out this year started as crime drama as usual; and once you watch the greatness that is true detective season 1 and the wire , and maybe 200 crime dramas/crime whatever, you start getting bored of them ) and crappy TV shows that you have no idea how theyre still on; And you find something new and fresh like GoT, youre bound to like it.

I used to think breaking bad was okay, 6/10, so slow and boring at time. but it was the first ever TV series i watched, non week to week that is. Now after 2/3 years of 95% times watchign Tv series, if i watched breaking bad now, im pretty sure i would enjoy it a lot more.

GoT is just new and interesting, if your new to it. If your rewatching it or are somewhat used to watching loads of TV series it can be slow and boring. I mean some season, i couldnt even tell you watch happen half way through. A lot of important things happen but at the time they happen you dont really care about that plot point, so it seems like its moving slowly. Anyways GoT is great, better than breaking bad/ 90% of the stuff i watched really. It doesnt really get boring,you never get half way through a season/episode and you want to stop watching.I would recommend watching it, if you can get past the rape ect ect, its a very interesting plot that never burns out.
    I actually watched it without knowing about the nudity and stuff.. But then I realised why it so popular, and after around episode 5 I couldn't take it, there was too much nudity half the time I didn't get what was going on and the plot was so slow and boring. If u are looking for something to watch other then crime like flash, arrow and daredevil then I'd suggest supernatural, it just gets bigger and bigger every season and it has the comedy episodes from time to time too and it has a lot of seasons for u free people.

ReputationRep:
    Don't watch it, my parents forced me to watch it and now I have to tune in every week to see about 5 minutes worth of the 3 or so characters I actually care about and the rest of it I just suffer through, wish I'd never started watching it in the first place

ReputationRep:
    Because the rest of the shows on TV are pretty much ****e.

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but that was really stupid of you; by watching scenes on YouTube you're spoiling it for yourself, and you wouldn't understand the context of said scenes.

Really silly idea; stop now if you still plan to watch it.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yhyh)
    I actually watched it without knowing about the nudity and stuff.. But then I realised why it so popular, and after around episode 5 I couldn't take it, there was too much nudity half the time I didn't get what was going on and the plot was so slow and boring. If u are looking for something to watch other then crime like flash, arrow and daredevil then I'd suggest supernatural, it just gets bigger and bigger every season and it has the comedy episodes from time to time too and it has a lot of seasons for u free people.
    i remember watching supernatural when was a little kid, i doubt ill enjoy it , since im pretty sure i watched most of the early stuff and i hate rewatching stuff, and i dont want to watch it half way without knowing the plot. Plus supernatural isnt really my type of show. And its been on for a ton of season, from what i remember, it wasn't that great. I can see myself watching it here and there but not really getting into it.
    I personally go past the nudity, it didn't really bother me.Though when i did first watch it, and i within a few mins you see some naked, i did stop watching it and didnt come back to it for many a month or 2. Gave it another try and really enjoyed it, takes a few episodes but its good. I also really like the medieval aspect of i, Honestly its one of the best things on. Breaking bad was okay, 6.5/10 ( really dont undertsand the hype of it, its so boring at time, i mean when i rewatched it, i could easily skip 70% of some episodes since it was worthless talking ) . The wire was a good 8/10, but the first 3 season are slow. Lost was a 7.5/10, dexter has to be a good 8/10. GoT is a 9/10 for me, though its getting really slow. But like like most things ive watched i haven't got so bored of it that i stopped half way through an episode and watched the rest a week later. .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    what i find interesting is the fight for power (i guess im just a very historical drama kind of person) also the dragons are amazingly cool, it's not in there enough though :unimpressed: the secks is a little uninteresting, for me anyways. the punishments are brutal and exciting, the fantasy and special effects of it all is impressive. but yeah the secks, incest and rape is a bit unecesary to me
    though compare this to korean historical dramas, GoT has nothing on the political evil schemes, they should step up their game on this to make the plot more interesting as I do tend to skip a lot of scenes

ReputationRep:
    The first episode is quite bad in terms of the amount of sex and nudity etc.

Give it another chance and keep watching and I'm sure you'll start to see what everyone's so interested in :yep:

I won't give up on it yet.
    Certain characters just give me headaches when I see them now
    Other characters have developed in an amazing manner. My favourite by far being Arya :heart:

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know why I still watch it, the new season doesn't even make sense and there's been like no progression since the end of last season to now.
    D&D are great at adapting, but god-awful at writing

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.