The Student Room Group

GCSE Early Elizabethan England 16 marker Attempt

Hi, was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how many marks you think this is worth?

"The threat of invasions was Elizabeth's main problem when she became queen in 1558" how far do you agree? Explain your answer.

I partially agree with the statement as both France and Spain were powerful Catholic countries, who could unite against Protestant England. However I disagree that the threat of invasion was the main problem as Elizabeth had other important problems such as legitimacy and the financial situation of the country.

Invasion was a major threat because of the power of the countries France and Spain. Spain was the most powerful and wealthy country in Europe and had a large empire. France was wealthier and had a larger population than England as well as the Auld alliance with Scotland. This made both Spain and France much more powerful than England and quite a significant political threat as they both had the power to invade England. Spain may have wanted to invade England to increase its Empire and prevent England from building its own and gaining power. France may have wanted to invade as, when Mary I was queen, England sided with Spain against France in a war that ended in 1559, giving France a reason to invade England as well. The threat was further increased by the fact that Spain and France were Catholic, but Elizabeth had chosen to move her country towards Protestantism. There was a chance that they would unite against Protestant England. The threat of invasion increased as both Spain and France would prefer MQS to be queen as she was a Catholic with a legitimate claim to the English throne. This would cause problems as it would be very hard to gather an army big enough to defend England against Spain and France.

However, Elizabeth was also faced with threats about her legitimacy and gender. Many people viewed Elizabeth as illegitimate as Henry VIII divorced Catherine of Aragon to marry Elizabeth's mother Anne Boleyn, so in the eyes of the Church her parents weren't married when she was born. Henry VIII also declared Elizabeth as illegitimate when Anne Boleyn was executed in 1536 although he later reversed this. A queen who ruled under her own right was unusual in the C16th; her legitimacy and gender led to people not accepting her as queen, as well as her age and inexperience. The Church taught that women should be under the authority of men. This was a significant problem as it undermined Elizabeth's authority as a reigning monarch.

Threats of invasion and Elizabeth's authority were made worse by her financial situation. When Elizabeth took the Crown, England was £300,000 in debt (the total annual income of the Crown was around $285,000); England had fought costly wars before Elizabeth became Queen and lots of crownland, which had previously generated income for the Crown, had been sold. Moreover, to raise money Elizabeth would have to make the immediately-unpopular decision of raising taxes, the permission for which would need to be granted by parliament (which, in turn, could then make further demands on Elizabeth). Insolvency therefore limited the choices of the new Queen and instantly undermined her power. Personally, I believe this was the most significant problem she faced as if she didn't have money she couldn't defend England against invasions.

Overall, I think the threat of invasion was one of Elizabeth's biggest problems when she became Queen; both Spain and France were powerful countries who had reasons to invade England and this was increased as Spain and France could unite against Protestant England, with Scotland also bordering England and a strong ally of France. However, I do not agree that it was Elizabeth's main problem as I think that her financial situation was her main problem as well as her legitimacy and gender. She couldn't defend her country or give grant patronages and her gender and legitimacy undermined her authority as Queen.

Thank you!
Reply 1
I can't give a mark, but I think it is reasonably good.
I did this at GCSE under Edexcel.
I would say you need to explain more. You are providing evidence and sort of listing.
Try writing this meant that, this caused etc as that forces you to explain. You have one sentence at the end to refer back, which is good.
I also did a criteria to show judgement as to why it was true or not. But it was badly explained at my school and I haven't seen anything about it on the Internet. I was gonna taught to say how you could disagree, but if you have been taught that then keep it.
You have the knowledge, but I think you need to explain more.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much! Literally saved me for my exam tomorrow! Gonna prep myself with plenty of explanation! Thank you so much again!
Original post by CatLover1
I would say you need to explain more. You are providing evidence and sort of listing.
Try writing this meant that, this caused etc as that forces you to explain. You have one sentence at the end to refer back, which is good.
I also did a criteria to show judgement as to why it was true or not. But it was badly explained at my school and I haven't seen anything about it on the Internet. I was gonna taught to say how you could disagree, but if you have been taught that then keep it.
What I see here is you're delivering a good understanding of the events surrounding Elizabeth's reign when she came to the throne and how that can tie into the threat of invasion, but I don't think your stance is powerful enough in terms of analysis. Looking at the mark scheme, I would say that your response is around 12 or 13/16.

To make it stronger, I would first start with an introduction in which you haven't stated your stance yet. For example:

"In 1558, there was a considerable threat of invasion, as both France and Spain were powerful Catholic countries who could unite against Protestant England. However, Elizabeth had other important problems such as legitimacy and the financial situation of the country that could have been a greater problem for her when she ascended to the throne."

Instead, nuance your response. Start with agreeing, as you have. If you disagree, then have 2 paragraphs disagreeing. If you agree, then have one paragraph disagreeing with a potential counter-argument and another agreeing.

Next, you need to have 3 clear paragraphs that directly answer the question. You should have one paragraph agreeing with the question (I agree that the threat of invasions could have been Elizabeth's main problem because of the power the countries Spain and France held, as well as their rivalry.) Then, develop. This first paragraph was good.

Then, disagree with an explanation of how it could have been the main problem. For instance, "I disagree that the threat of invasion was Elizabeth's main problem when she became queen in 1558, because the threats of illegitimacy and misogyny posed a greater risk." If you link back to the question at the end of your paragraph ("which is why I disagree"), then you will have written a more analytical response with the same information.

In the second and third paragraphs, you need to state that a lack of public support could lead to rebellion and revolt, threatening Elizabeth's status as queen. The problems are problems because if she doesn't fix them, she'll be ousted. A few connecting words (like "Additionally, the Church taught..." and "As a result, this led to people not accepting her...") would probably be useful as well.

Furthermore, it is unclear whether you agree or disagree in the third paragraph, because you tied low funds to an increased risk of invasion. I think it would be better to disagree here. You would then be able to link it to the current state of affairs (war with France because of Mary led to inflation, terrible famine in 1556) and how if she went about solving the national debt in the wrong way (like through tax increases), the cost of living would be higher and she would impoverish her citizens further.

The advice for paragraph 2 also applies here. Start with something like, "I disagree that the threat of invasion was the main problem Elizabeth faced when she became queen in 1558, because the country's financial situation was precarious and needed to be addressed sooner to avoid devastating consequences." You could say it was the most significant problem because "not only would it leave her more vulnerable if she were invaded, but it was also detrimental to the economy and her popularity, increasing the chance that she could be deposed."

Finally, your conclusion is pretty good, but having one main problem that you explained (which you described the financial situation as in paragraph 3) would be better.

All in all, a good response, although there are improvements. Apologies for writing so much, but you don't have to take it all on board overnight. You still have lots of time, and confidence will produce a better result.

Good luck in your mock! :smile:

Original post by poppi_mai_
Hi, was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of how many marks you think this is worth?

"The threat of invasions was Elizabeth's main problem when she became queen in 1558" how far do you agree? Explain your answer.

I partially agree with the statement as both France and Spain were powerful Catholic countries, who could unite against Protestant England. However I disagree that the threat of invasion was the main problem as Elizabeth had other important problems such as legitimacy and the financial situation of the country.

Invasion was a major threat because of the power of the countries France and Spain. Spain was the most powerful and wealthy country in Europe and had a large empire. France was wealthier and had a larger population than England as well as the Auld alliance with Scotland. This made both Spain and France much more powerful than England and quite a significant political threat as they both had the power to invade England. Spain may have wanted to invade England to increase its Empire and prevent England from building its own and gaining power. France may have wanted to invade as, when Mary I was queen, England sided with Spain against France in a war that ended in 1559, giving France a reason to invade England as well. The threat was further increased by the fact that Spain and France were Catholic, but Elizabeth had chosen to move her country towards Protestantism. There was a chance that they would unite against Protestant England. The threat of invasion increased as both Spain and France would prefer MQS to be queen as she was a Catholic with a legitimate claim to the English throne. This would cause problems as it would be very hard to gather an army big enough to defend England against Spain and France.

However, Elizabeth was also faced with threats about her legitimacy and gender. Many people viewed Elizabeth as illegitimate as Henry VIII divorced Catherine of Aragon to marry Elizabeth's mother Anne Boleyn, so in the eyes of the Church her parents weren't married when she was born. Henry VIII also declared Elizabeth as illegitimate when Anne Boleyn was executed in 1536 although he later reversed this. A queen who ruled under her own right was unusual in the C16th; her legitimacy and gender led to people not accepting her as queen, as well as her age and inexperience. The Church taught that women should be under the authority of men. This was a significant problem as it undermined Elizabeth's authority as a reigning monarch.

Threats of invasion and Elizabeth's authority were made worse by her financial situation. When Elizabeth took the Crown, England was £300,000 in debt (the total annual income of the Crown was around $285,000); England had fought costly wars before Elizabeth became Queen and lots of crownland, which had previously generated income for the Crown, had been sold. Moreover, to raise money Elizabeth would have to make the immediately-unpopular decision of raising taxes, the permission for which would need to be granted by parliament (which, in turn, could then make further demands on Elizabeth). Insolvency therefore limited the choices of the new Queen and instantly undermined her power. Personally, I believe this was the most significant problem she faced as if she didn't have money she couldn't defend England against invasions.

Overall, I think the threat of invasion was one of Elizabeth's biggest problems when she became Queen; both Spain and France were powerful countries who had reasons to invade England and this was increased as Spain and France could unite against Protestant England, with Scotland also bordering England and a strong ally of France. However, I do not agree that it was Elizabeth's main problem as I think that her financial situation was her main problem as well as her legitimacy and gender. She couldn't defend her country or give grant patronages and her gender and legitimacy undermined her authority as Queen.

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by CatLover1

do you happen to remember the questions on the elizabeth paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending