The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just remember everyone: the cost of a landing fee for a typical aircraft at ACE is £150, whilst the charge for AE to depart is £400. Don't assume these are the same, comparable charges, and that accepting the order will mean an extra £250 compared to the other customers.

I'm not sure if it was a mistake in wording (leading to ambiguity) on behalf of the person who wrote the case study, or if they have given two incomparable figures to mislead the candidature, though...
Reply 21
Laurencelewis
Well i reckon, a question on the Fire Crew will definitely come up, and i think it will want mentioning the effects of a industrial action as it says just under the table that the Airport cannot operate without the minimum number of crew.
Stakeholder conflicts should come up with growth through night cargo flights and the reaction of the local community.
Perhaps, but not that likely, the likely consequences of the other Airports that cannot serve the commerical market entering the market.

The above are just what my teacher feels will most likely come up.

Agreed but also think it is just as likely that a question on the proposal of Air Exec and if ACE should accept their offer. ACE's growth objective of increasing passenger flights and cargo flights and night as well perhaps? I didnt get what you said for the last one about other airports entering the market??
richardjyoung
Hi I have posted some early thoughts at http://rapidrevision.co.uk/business-studies-student/category/ocr-2880-business-strategy/

I hope to keep adding to them over the coming weeks

Please post any questions in the comments and I'll see what I can do

I was wondering, if there is a question saying which area ACE should focus on (cargo or passenger) which do you think they should go with?

Also, what possible questions and issues could arise from the industrial dispute between the fire crew and the management? I'm not sure how I'd approach an answer the any question on that topic; it doesn't look like there's a huge amount of scope for questions to be honest...

Cheers :smile:
Reply 23
Just been looking at the past papers for this module. General theme is first question always on how realistic are the objectives-ACE objectives of increasing passengers and cargo night flights.
Usually something on how the strategic direction of the company will change if external influences are presented to the company i.e environmental legislation and carbon footprint for ACE. Also generally the exam ends with a question on if the company should take up a contract or not so AE contract in this case.
Lots more to do for tomorrow i guess for me!Anyone else really nervous for this exam?
anyone know any good points to cover the objectives qestions?
Reply 25
is this exam in the morning or afternoon?????
morning
ShowerMan
is this exam in the morning or afternoon?????

morning
i am still trying to read the case study until i no everything about ace.lol.
How did everyone find the exam then? I thought questions one to three were pretty good, but question four was a right ****.

I did this synoptic paper in January and decided to resit it so this is the second time of doing strategy for me...
Reply 30
I found it hard. Screwed up the stakeholder one, grrr. The first one was easy, and the third one was. Last one I just chatted crap, like keeping them involved in decision making process, giving them a final salary pension, gah it wasn't even a strategy lol, just aload of Rub. dont think I did too well
I thought it was alright, I'd practiced for the first 3 questions just the last one that was a bit different.
the first question was about interest rate, the second is about stakeholders and the third is about the premium business market. thet were alright but question 4 is a nightmare... i think is resommend a strategy to reduce fire crews resistance to change, i thought what the hell. it would be better if they ask whats the impact to the business or something. overal, i think the paper is fine. i hope i evaluate enough the get the mark i want
i found question 2 and 4 hard. 3 was a minter!
Reply 34
Agree pretty much with the general consensus here, first three were pretty much fine/good ones to answer :smile:
4. Was annoying as I went into detailed analysis of the current and proposed wages etc, i.e. would only need to work 4.5 hours of overtime a week to make up the difference in basic pay...not including shift and away allowance! So not much of a strategy, just that they need to up the offered salary etc...implications of strikes.... probably screwed it up but if everyone has done poor, which they probably have when you compare it to the other questions, then the mark scheme may be lowered :smile:
3. Was really annoying as I'd done it already few weeks ago and got 16/17 so not sure if i wrote it as well today, but an abundance of good points! :smile:
Reply 35
I thought 4 was ok, i divided the strategy into the finacnial side i.e the contract and then did a strategy to make the transitions to ERA easier. For financial i said collective bargaining needed, as crew won't accept with their strong union, could be strikes: overtime, go slow etc, fire crew have a lot of power employee wise. For ERA promoted Kaizen, lots of communication, training etc.
Reply 36
The exam was really difficult I thought as they seemed to vague to me. I had looked at the past papers the night before and knew they would be vague but today's paper seemed harder to include all the data on the case study. Although I think I got the points down I dont think I backed it up enough with actual data from the case study :frown:
Reply 37
Did people just persume that Q.3. was saying should they accept the AE contract?
I was careful how I worded that as I was eager to answer that question!

Latest

Trending

Trending