The Student Room Group

A Level Philosophy / Religious studies

This question is mainly aimed at people who do philosophy or religious studies a level.
I'm choosing my a-levels soon. I am interested in doing philosophy, however, only one school in my area offers it which I am unlikely to get into. Their exam board is AQA for philosophy.
Other schools that I am interested in offer 'Philosophy' but it is with OCR and I've been told that with OCR Philosophy is basically religious studies.
Are there differences between AQA and OCR? Are philosophy and religious studies similar?
Thankyou
Original post by isabella1329
This question is mainly aimed at people who do philosophy or religious studies a level.
I'm choosing my a-levels soon. I am interested in doing philosophy, however, only one school in my area offers it which I am unlikely to get into. Their exam board is AQA for philosophy.
Other schools that I am interested in offer 'Philosophy' but it is with OCR and I've been told that with OCR Philosophy is basically religious studies.
Are there differences between AQA and OCR? Are philosophy and religious studies similar?
Thankyou

OCR offers religious studies (not philosophy) which you do philosophy of religion, religious ethics and development in religious thought. AQA only focuses on philosophy and I don't believe it is tied to religious thought entirely.
Reply 2
Original post by isabella1329
Thankyou

OCR is indeed religious studies. There is about a 50% cross-over, both contain arguments about God's nature/existence and debates over ethics/morality.

However, only philosophy contains epistemology - debates about whether we can have knowledge. Philosophy also focuses on the philosophy of mind, the debate over whether the mind is just a physical thing or something more. OCR have one topic out of 32 on this, but in philosophy it's a quarter of the whole A level.

In religious studies, 1/3rd of the A level will be the study of religion. Most schools choose Christianity. This is half about general debates around the main features of the religion, and half about contemporary issues facing the religion (e.g. feminism, multi-faith societies, secularism/secularisation).

Honestly both are good. Both require proper revision strategy, lots to memorize.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending