The Student Room Group

Btec business unit 6 Principles of management exam 2024

I just got the part a about Saxon Fields, does anyone have any notes they'd like to share? Like what would work well in a swot, what theories to use, etc? Let's share!
(edited 4 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dwboutmynameaigh
I just got the part a about Saxon Fields, does anyone have any notes they'd like to share? Like what would work well in a swot, what theories to use, etc? Let's share!

would you mind sending me a copy of Part A? My brother is doing btec business (i also did it a couple years ago) but he's ill atm so hasn't been able to get the case study yet.
Original post by Stuaccount122
would you mind sending me a copy of Part A? My brother is doing btec business (i also did it a couple years ago) but he's ill atm so hasn't been able to get the case study yet.

Hi! I've already started annotating mine but I'll ask a classmate to send me a picture of theirs. How would you like me to send it?
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi! I've already started annotating mine but I'll ask a classmate to send me a picture of theirs. How would you like me to send it?

Cheers! maybe email? kejib21@gmail .com
Original post by Deadly Knight
Hi i would also like to have a copy of notes. I am struggling with this

when i get the case study I'll make some notes and send them here

the topics that you have to talk about in this case study:

Mayo's human relation school of thought; this relates to the social factors that Nina took away from the employees

different functions of management

Maslows hierarchy of needs; when employees were given accommodation, this fulfilled their physiological needs etc.

different leadership styles; what kind of manager is Nina vs the old manager

business culture, how people work

calculating labour turnover, labour market analysis

quality management; how can they improve (hiring and retaining the maintenance employees)

motivation factors; financial and non financial motivators

managing human resources; how has Nina's management style affected Steven and Sam who work as HR managers

Tuckmans team building stages; talk about how Nina basically destroyed them

Action Centred Leadership Model; how is Nina's management style not coordinating with the ACLM

benefits and drawbacks of zero hours and temporary contracts

decision making model; how can Steven and Sam use the decision making model to assist Nina in reach their business goals

managing change

training and development

Original post by ghostin.777

Mayo's human relation school of thought; this relates to the social factors that Nina took away from the employees

Maslows hierarchy of needs; when employees were given accommodation, this fulfilled their physiological needs etc.

quality management; how can they improve (hiring and retaining the maintenance employees)

managing human resources; how has Nina's management style affected Steven and Sam who work as HR managers

Action Centred Leadership Model; how is Nina's management style not coordinating with the ACLM

decision making model; how can Steven and Sam use the decision making model to assist Nina in reach their business goals

managing change

training and development

Thank you for this, I was looking over it right now and this definitely helps a lot appreciate it
can someone send the pre release to my email kejib21@gmail .com thanks
Reply 8
Does anyone know if we can link COVID to the decrease in profits from 2019-2020?
Original post by hsyn
Does anyone know if we can link COVID to the decrease in profits from 2019-2020?

i dont think u can because im pretty sure the graph is supposed to indicate the decrease in profits from since Nina became manager, and how her management style has affected the profitability of the business

Can someone send a copy of the part A please?

managing change

training and development

what is the key three points
Reply 12
someone tell me everything i need to know, like the 3 issues and 3 recommendations and what theorists are best to talk about and why
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by stud2009
someone tell me everything i need to know, like the 3 issues and 3 recommendations and what theorists are best to talk about and why

Unsuitable management style > Democratic
Lack of motivation > Maslow’s hierarchy of needs (bring back social activities, implement rewards through performance appraisals)
Poor quality culture > Kaizen (quality circles, standards agencies)
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 14
Is anyone able to provide a couple recommendations that they have come up with for issues in the case study?
Original post by temp-110999
what is the key three points

that will depend on the question you get on the actual day of the exam; the question could be about different things for example, motivation, quality management, functions of management etc. but, if i was to say 3 key points specific to this case study:

Maslow's hierarchy of needs; when employees were given accommodation, this fulfilled their physiological needs etc.

Hey can you send me too if that’s okay with you. On ig- a.h.22
Reply 17
that will depend on the question you get on the actual day of the exam; the question could be about different things for example, motivation, quality management, functions of management etc. but, if i was to say 3 key points specific to this case study:

Maslow's hierarchy of needs; when employees were given accommodation, this fulfilled their physiological needs etc.

Can also mention the safety and social tiers here. For example staff might not feel safe due to the common faults/ride closures, and as Nina removed social activities, staff feel less sense of belonging and less opportunities to build social relationships with other staff

McGregor’s two factor theory > hygiene factors such as interpersonal relationships (no social events) and working conditions (10 hour shifts, no shelter, scrutiny by Nina) are poor > low staff motivation, satisfaction
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Sirtn.17
Can also mention the safety and social tiers here. For example staff might not feel safe due to the common faults/ride closures, and as Nina removed social activities, staff feel less sense of belonging and less opportunities to build social relationships with other staff

Yes, the faulty rides come under quality management; however, the faulty rides do not mean that the staff will feel unsafe, it will mean that the customers will feel unsafe, increasing the likelihood of them going to rivals in the industry such as Thorpe Park, who provide quality assurance.

The only reason that staff will not feel safe is because Nina removed the accommodation, therefore defying maslows hierarchy of needs; removing their physiological means that they will not be able to progress to the next stage of maslows hierarchy, which is the safety needs.

and yes, nina removing the social activities does mean that staff may feel a lessened sense of belonging and this also relates to mayos human relation theory and maslows hierarchy of needs.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 19
Yes, the faulty rides come under quality management; however, the faulty rides do not mean that the staff will feel unsafe, it will mean that the customers will feel unsafe, increasing the likelihood of them going to rivals in the industry such as Thorpe Park, who provide quality assurance.

The only reason that staff will not feel safe is because Nina removed the accommodation, therefore defying maslows hierarchy of needs; removing their physiological means that they will not be able to progress to the next stage of maslows hierarchy, which is the safety needs.

and yes, nina removing the social activities does mean that staff may feel a lessened sense of belonging and this also relates to mayos human relation theory and maslows hierarchy of needs.

“faulty rides do not mean that the staff will feel unsafe”

If you were working around faulty equipment how would that make you feel? Would you feel safe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending