The Student Room Group

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned?

Scroll to see replies

No, Sports Day is great, and I had a lot of fun whilst hosting one for a Primary School.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Yeah, but you need maths for your future life. You don't need to know how to do country dancing or play rounders.

Also, no-one at my school was bullied for being bad at maths and you weren't forced to do it timed in front of the whole class/school whereas this is the case for sport.

No, but it's a break from subjects and part of the fact obesity levels are rising, and so schools need to do P.E, even if what they do isn't actually that active

even though when we played P.E, it was active due to football or athletics etc
Reply 42
Being a lazy slob who does no sport whatsoever I can safely say that sports day should not be banned - it keeps everyone active

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joshale
No, but it's a break from subjects and part of the fact obesity levels are rising, and so schools need to do P.E, even if what they do isn't actually that active

even though when we played P.E, it was active due to football or athletics etc

But the 'fat kids' never did any exercise in PE anyway. They just stayed fat and lazy. I don't mind PE when it's not competitive but competition just shames those who can't do it. And an hour a week (which turns into half an hour when you consider changing times) is nowhere near enough to keep someone in shape. It just puts people off exercise for life.
But the 'fat kids' never did any exercise in PE anyway. They just stayed fat and lazy. I don't mind PE when it's not competitive but competition just shames those who can't do it. And an hour a week (which turns into half an hour when you consider changing times) is nowhere near enough to keep someone in shape. It just puts people off exercise for life.

Twice a week was compulsory for us, unless you did GCSE P.E which obviously was more. Actually when we played football this fat kid ran around quite a lot, probably because he was alright, just fat

What would you suggest then, if those who didn't want to do P.E, what would they do instead?
Yeah, but you need maths for your future life. You don't need to know how to do country dancing or play rounders.

Also, no-one at my school was bullied for being bad at maths and you weren't forced to do it timed in front of the whole class/school whereas this is the case for sport.

1. if you don't think there are advantages to doing PE then you clearly didn't get it taught correctly. Don't see the advantage of knowing how to work as a team? Don't see the advantage of knowing how to work and follow rules even when you're tired?

2. of course people get bullied for poor academic skills. People get bullied based on exam and test results.

PE is as fundamental to life as Maths, English, Science et al.
Reply 46
Original post by Drewski
1. if you don't think there are advantages to doing PE then you clearly didn't get it taught correctly. Don't see the advantage of knowing how to work as a team? Don't see the advantage of knowing how to work and follow rules even when you're tired?

2. of course people get bullied for poor academic skills. People get bullied based on exam and test results.

PE is as fundamental to life as Maths, English, Science et al.

The difference is that it is not compulsory for an individual to partake in a Maths competition in front of the entire school.
Original post by Hariex
The difference is that it is not compulsory for an individual to partake in a Maths competition in front of the entire school.

Yes, it is.

These are called, variously, times tables tests at primary school, SATs, GCSEs and A levels.
Reply 48
Original post by emilyyou
I think in an obesity crisis, motivating children to exercise by introducing competition for one day in the year is not a bad thing.

the competition of sports day never motivated me. Pretty much the opposite in fact. All it ever did was reinforce the fact that I was terrible at sports. Wasn't until I discovered that dancing is fun that I've been doing more exercise.

Sports day is great for those who are good at sports, but for those of us who aren't... not so much.

And to those suggesting that they're bad at Maths/English/whatever, if we had days where everyone had to publicly take part in tests or competitions in front of the whole school, I'd be fully in support of the idea of those not being compulsory.
Reply 49
It shouldn't be banned but I think it should be optional in all schools. It was compulsory in my primary school which I didn't like :frown:
Reply 50
Original post by Drewski
Yes, it is.

These are called, variously, times tables tests at primary school, SATs, GCSEs and A levels.

Not in the sense that there is collective attention on five or six individuals. Sitting exams is never compared to sporting events simply because the type of pressure is not the same.
Original post by Hariex
Sitting exams is never compared to sporting events simply because the type of pressure is not the same.

Exactly, exams are far far far more important, with so much more riding on them than a single afternoon once a year that absolutely **** all relevance to the rest of your school career.

Sports in school and sports day in particular are good, valuable and should never, ever, be banned. There is no debate to had on this, imo.
Original post by Drewski
I was quite poor at Maths and didn't enjoy it. Can that be banned too please?

I don't think that comparison is valid. At least if you're bad at maths, humiliating failures aren't usually paraded in front of the entire class (or school) for all to see.
Original post by Hariex
I think that there should be an academic opportunity for those who aren't good at sport.

There is. It's every other day of the year.

At my school, you only signed up to do events on sports day if you were good at them.
Original post by Aula
the competition of sports day never motivated me. Pretty much the opposite in fact. All it ever did was reinforce the fact that I was terrible at sports. Wasn't until I discovered that dancing is fun that I've been doing more exercise.

Sports day is great for those who are good at sports, but for those of us who aren't... not so much.

And to those suggesting that they're bad at Maths/English/whatever, if we had days where everyone had to publicly take part in tests or competitions in front of the whole school, I'd be fully in support of the idea of those not being compulsory.

Exactly. I hate competition and I hate team sports. I was just shouted at for letting everyone down. At least in academic subjects no-one else depends on you.

And for all those who argue those who are bad at maths/English are bullied - at my school it was them who were doing the bullying of those who were good at academic subjects.
Original post by RFowler
I don't think that comparison is valid. At least if you're bad at maths, humiliating failures aren't usually paraded in front of the entire class (or school) for all to see.

This. In fact people who were bad at maths were given extra support and often were given awards for improving from an F to an E whereas those who were bad at sport were just bullied by horrible teachers who hated them.
Original post by Aula

Well I go to my little brother's sports day every year and the kids always compete together as a class. This year, I noticed that there were loads of overweight kids competing in the relays, and because it was competitive against the other classes, the children were chanting names and clapping for the overweight kids whilst they were running or throwing or whatever, just as they were supporting the sporty kids. I fail to see how that could be anything but positive!
Reply 57
Original post by TimmonaPortella
There is. It's every other day of the year.

At my school, you only signed up to do events on sports day if you were good at them.

I admit that I should have been clearer on this point.

What I meant by "academic opportunity" is a day, like Sports Day, where people compete academically rather than physically.
This. In fact people who were bad at maths were given extra support and often were given awards for improving from an F to an E whereas those who were bad at sport were just bullied by horrible teachers who hated them.

Which says far more about the poor quality of teaching those individuals encountered than it does about the importance of what's being taught.

People who deride PE and things like sports days have no concept of how important they are in reality.

Exactly. I hate competition and I hate team sports. At least in academic subjects no-one else depends on you.

This is just wrong on so many levels. You don't think there are elements of competition in life? You don't think you're ever going to need to work as a team? I did Engineering at university, which I'm sure you'll agree is pretty academic, and there was huge emphasis on group work. Most courses will involve some form of group work and virtually every form of employment you'll ever encounter involves working as part of a team.
Reply 59
Original post by emilyyou
Well I go to my little brother's sports day every year and the kids always compete together as a class. This year, I noticed that there were loads of overweight kids competing in the relays, and because it was competitive against the other classes, the children were chanting names and clapping for the overweight kids whilst they were running or throwing or whatever, just as they were supporting the sporty kids. I fail to see how that could be anything but positive!

And it's brilliant when that happens. I'm not going to deny that.
On the other hand, when you always come in last and there's no one supporting you, it's just demoralising... Even at primary school I never used to get any of the "well done!" or "congratulations" stickers. And my lack of ability is genetic, it's not due to being overweight, so those two factors are not always connected.

Quick Reply

Latest