The Student Room Group

UK governments to ban disposable vapes

Rishi Sunak has announced a plan to ban disposable vapes.

https://news.sky.com/story/disposable-vapes-to-be-banned-over-concerns-of-sharp-increase-in-childrens-use-13058596

This follows concerns over their increasing use by under-18s. The ban is supported by Labour too, and by the Welsh and Scottish Governments, who will also implement a ban. The intention is to have a ban in place by the end of 2025.

What do you think?
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good. I don't have any real issue with vaping itself but these disposable ones are a safety and environmental nightmare, and I don't think anyone can really still deny they are now aimed pretty directly at children in ways that earlier vapes weren't. I suspect the amount of people genuinely using these devices to actually quit a smoking addiction are now a stark minority and I'm just not accepting the argument that the ban might force people back to smoking as there are plenty of more mature vaping options still available.
Good but I think that this could create a black market.

Mind be one of the few good things done by this government.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Good but I think that this could create a black market.

Mind be one of the few good things done by this government.

That will always be a risk, but you still need to make the choice to ban it and move the responsibility and as a government, stop profiting. In this case I don't think the black market will be anywhere near as bad, a huge part of the disposable vape problem is how accessible they are and how saturated shops are with them and their branding, a ban will solidly address both.
Original post by StriderHort
That will always be a risk, but you still need to make the choice to ban it and move the responsibility and as a government, stop profiting. In this case I don't think the black market will be anywhere near as bad, a huge part of the disposable vape problem is how accessible they are and how saturated shops are with them and their branding, a ban will solidly address both.

Hopefully.

I support a ban on vaping and smoking/cigarettes regardless though.
Hopefully.

I support a ban on vaping and smoking/cigarettes regardless though.

That won't happen any time soon, it would mean messing with too many peoples freedom of choice not to mention the £££. I think I'd have to vote against any proposal to actually ban the act of smoking things, too overbearing.
That won't happen any time soon, it would mean messing with too many peoples freedom of choice not to mention the £££. I think I'd have to vote against any proposal to actually ban the act of smoking things, too overbearing.

I mean I’m personally in favour of banning both (whether that’s banning via raising the legal age to smoke by a year each year or a complete phased banned for everyone), but a black market is the only thing that makes me against it to some extent.

One of the few (if not only) times that I actually support the Tories/current government.
I mean I’m personally in favour of banning both (whether that’s banning via raising the legal age to smoke by a year each year or a complete phased banned for everyone), but a black market is the only thing that makes me against it to some extent.

One of the few (if not only) times that I actually support the Tories/current government.

Really? The black market is the only worry and you don't even consider the freedom of choice to be an issue? Not that that should ever be an absolute barrier to change, but when you are trying to take options away from other people I feel freedom of choice and overreach has to be a consideration. Trite, but what happens the next time people see a political advantage in taking away something YOU like?

Don't be deceived by the Tories, this nonsense where they want to raise the age by 1 a year is unworkable electioneering like all the other dramatic snake oil paff they're churning ouyt right now
Really? The black market is the only worry and you don't even consider the freedom of choice to be an issue? Not that that should ever be an absolute barrier to change, but when you are trying to take options away from other people I feel freedom of choice and overreach has to be a consideration. Trite, but what happens the next time people see a political advantage in taking away something YOU like?

Don't be deceived by the Tories, this nonsense where they want to raise the age by 1 a year is unworkable electioneering like all the other dramatic snake oil paff they're churning ouyt right now

No I don’t consider freedom of choice to be the issue in the context of smoking and vaping. Drinking yes (I consider the freedom of choice), smoking and vaping no.

It depends on what I like.

This is the only good thing that I can say about the Tories but even then, it feels like they could be imposing this ban not just because it’s a big part issue but also because they want to distract themselves from wider issues imo.

I don’t tend to praise this party a lot (or ever for that matter) but for once I can agree with them on something (banning disposable vapes and potentially banning smoking as well).
No I don’t consider freedom of choice to be the issue in the context of smoking and vaping. Drinking yes (I consider the freedom of choice), smoking and vaping no.

It depends on what I like.

This is the only good thing that I can say about the Tories but even then, it feels like they could be imposing this ban not just because it’s a big part issue but also because they want to distract themselves from wider issues imo.

I don’t tend to praise this party a lot (or ever for that matter) but for once I can agree with them on something (banning disposable vapes and potentially banning smoking as well).

I mean that when considering voting to ban something, you wouldn't consider other peoples preferences or freedoms at all? and why drinking only?

I don't mean I expect you to not vote to ban them or change your mind, just interested that you aren't balancing this desire to vote for something you want with a healthy fear of government intervention over personal choice. Like I don't think what you like should necessarily dictate what other people have to like.

Like I'm not surprised you say you agree with these polices if you dislike smoking, I'm just making sure you know this 'raising the smoking age 1 year at a time' is not happening, it's a populist election soundbite designed to grab attention.
I mean non-disposable vapes will be available still so not sure how this would create a black market. It would just cut down on environmental waste.

A surprisingly reasonable policy given the source (at least on first glance on the surface)
(edited 2 months ago)
I mean that when considering voting to ban something, you wouldn't consider other peoples preferences or freedoms at all? and why drinking only?

I don't mean I expect you to not vote to ban them or change your mind, just interested that you aren't balancing this desire to vote for something you want with a healthy fear of government intervention over personal choice. Like I don't think what you like should necessarily dictate what other people have to like.

Like I'm not surprised you say you agree with these polices if you dislike smoking, I'm just making sure you know this 'raising the smoking age 1 year at a time' is not happening, it's a populist election soundbite designed to grab attention.

Yeah the policy might not/probably won’t happen but I still agree with the policy if it were to happen.

I don’t care if people get drunk (even if I don’t like it, I don’t care about others doing it to the same extent as smoking).
Reply 12
Original post by abacus98765

https://news.sky.com/story/disposable-vapes-to-be-banned-over-concerns-of-sharp-increase-in-childrens-use-13058596

This follows concerns over their increasing use by under-18s. The ban is supported by Labour too, and by the Welsh and Scottish Governments, who will also implement a ban. The intention is to have a ban in place by the end of 2025.

What do you think?
I actually think it’s good :smile:
Original post by abacus98765
What do you think?
It's a commendable initiative to restrict the purchase of vapes for individuals under 18. However, considering disposable vapes are legally used by those aged 18 and above, the proposal to completely ban them by 2025 seems stringent.
Original post by Vape Area UK
It's a commendable initiative to restrict the purchase of vapes for individuals under 18. However, considering disposable vapes are legally used by those aged 18 and above, the proposal to completely ban them by 2025 seems stringent.

They're a terrible product for the environment full stop, no matter who uses them.

If they werent responsible for so much wasteful and dangeroud littering we wouldn't have got here. But we have and they need to go.
They're a terrible product for the environment full stop, no matter who uses them.

If they werent responsible for so much wasteful and dangeroud littering we wouldn't have got here. But we have and they need to go.

I mean you could say the same thing about regular smoking (the pollution it creates, the fact that I’ve often seen people dispose their cigarettes, lighters and the boxes in the street on the floor, effects of second hand smoking etc).

I personally support this ban regardless though.
I mean you could say the same thing about regular smoking (the pollution it creates, the fact that I’ve often seen people dispose their cigarettes, lighters and the boxes in the street on the floor, effects of second hand smoking etc).
I personally support this ban regardless though.

If you tried to introduce tobacco now you wouldn't get far though.

As much as cigs, lighters, boxes etc are obv waste, disposable l-ion battery devices are a different league, they literally explode. In an age where we're begging people to recycle their old mobiles, batteries & devices etc, a product like this is unconscionable.
If you tried to introduce tobacco now you wouldn't get far though.

As much as cigs, lighters, boxes etc are obv waste, disposable l-ion battery devices are a different league, they literally explode. In an age where we're begging people to recycle their old mobiles, batteries & devices etc, a product like this is unconscionable.

Yeah that’s true but the same logic can be applied regardless (both products are unnecessary).
Yeah that’s true but the same logic can be applied regardless (both products are unnecessary).

I didn't claim either is necessary (few retail products are) I just think they're not in the same league in terms of waste/litter/danger. The fact that we already let smoking get as far as it did is no excuse to be complacent on nipping these things in the bud.

Smoking itself is just going to be v stubborn to eradicate as we've let/encouraged people to get addicted for generations, the authorities that would need to ban it are one of the biggest profiteers so it's a bit awkward.
Good 👍
Sick of walking around and being assaulted by clouds of diabetic smelling poison

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending