The Student Room Group

Shoplifting

Help !! I have been stopped when leaving sainsburys due to not scanning numerous items. The store detective gave me a banning letter and I was on my way. I offered to pay for the items but they didn’t allow me to .
Since this point I have been told that they store detective is investigating me as they believe I have taken more than they caught me with and are looking at transactions from the last 60 days. I’m absolutely terrified the police are going to show up at my home . I am totally ashamed of what I have done and it’ll never happen again . The sheer embarrassment is enough to me that it’ll never happen again . The issue I have is my partner works at the store and she was totally unaware and is disgusted with my actions as am I. I am now not only worried about myself but her too . Please someone tell me you’ve been in this position before and why happened
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by B3kki3838
Help !! I have been stopped when leaving sainsburys due to not scanning numerous items. The store detective gave me a banning letter and I was on my way. I offered to pay for the items but they didn’t allow me to .
Since this point I have been told that they store detective is investigating me as they believe I have taken more than they caught me with and are looking at transactions from the last 60 days. I’m absolutely terrified the police are going to show up at my home . I am totally ashamed of what I have done and it’ll never happen again . The sheer embarrassment is enough to me that it’ll never happen again . The issue I have is my partner works at the store and she was totally unaware and is disgusted with my actions as am I. I am now not only worried about myself but her too . Please someone tell me you’ve been in this position before and why happened

Your most likely considered to get a store ban and the store ban will result in the branch thinking of you as a thief/shoplifter if anything else were to happen your lucky if you get away with it :wink::rolleyes:.

How many times did you shoplift while your partner was working at the store?

Criminal record coming your way, bad luck
Original post by ageshallnot
How many times did you shoplift while your partner was working at the store?

never whilst she was working , she works nights

I have the ban already , my worry is what happens next

Original post by A jaded girl
Criminal record coming your way, bad luck

Original post by Mohammed_80
Your most likely considered to get a store ban and the store ban will result in the branch thinking of you as a thief/shoplifter if anything else were to happen your lucky if you get away with it :wink::rolleyes:.
Original post by Anonymous
never whilst she was working , she works nights

I have the ban already , my worry is what happens next

Criminal conviction
Reply 6
Have you stolen previously? If so I suppose they may have cctv evidence and prosecute you for serial offences. They can hardly blame your partner for your thieving ways, unless they have assisted you. You just have to take your medicine and mend your ways
Reply 7
Doubt the police will get involved they can't be arsed to investigate burglaries never mind shoplifting. Chill and move on! Lesson learned.

Never happened to me as I don't shoplift. Aside from conscious, not wanting to risk looking that grubby my brain kicks in letting me visualise the cr*p that I would likely have to deal with. Personally all too much fuss that I would rather not have the bother off, so I just pay as I should. End of the day effort & cost goes into producing those items so it's only fair that it's paid for.

As for Police involvement I agree with chill pill, they probably won't as they've got more important stuff to deal with that chasing after every small shoplift attempt. No guarantees but so long as you don't show up on the radar again Police probably won't be involved as unless your a repeated offender or large amount then it's likely not big enough for them.

I'm guessing odds are you did it as you were opportunistic. All too tempting with those self scam tills, but the store knows that also so they will focus on those self scan tills for that reason. So although it seems easy it's potentially the worst place to try it on.

Personally I would stay distant from your partner so she isn't linked to you as you don't want her job becoming at risk. So I wouldn't go anywhere near that store with her for both your benefit if I were you.

I'm guessing they chose not to take payment for the items in order to ban you in can they missed picking you up again and to keep a record of you're mug on file. Up to you but if police did become involved there is the possibility of claiming you forgot to scan them, something on your mind and that you did offer to pay once stopped. I'm not saying they wouldn't still deem it shoplifting but it might possibly fly if first time caught and might make it less likely they take action but like I say up to you what you say and how you defend yourself if it came to it.

Back in the day I believe you had to have actually left the store without paying and be so many feet from the exit but not too far away (within 200ft or something like that I think it was) when they stopped you in order for it to count as shoplifting. Not sure now though you could Google I guess.

Probably worst case scenario police arrive and charge you with shoplifting odds are I'm guessing these days first offence they may offer an out of court fine settlement which would probably be better than going to court and being whammed with a much steeper fine.

My guess is lay low, keep away from the place, don't do any shoplifting elsewhere as they might exchange photos, possibly and it will probably all blow over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending