The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adoxography
I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion? I dont really know what to think about what's happened.

I applied to study English, having obtained AAAAAB at AS Level, and was predicted A* A* A* A A at A2 (one of those As is general studies) My GCSEs were all A*s and As too, and my submitted written work was worth full marks ( as was my other piece which I could have sent)

Naturally, my teachers were really optimistic for my chances- the only blip in my application being that I resat year 12 after some pretty horrendous extenuating circumstances that included, but was not limited to, family death, the extremely bitter and aggressive divorce of my parents, and my own struggles with serious health problems that affected my sleep, concentration and memory (down to the point where I couldn't remember the content of a page after reading it)
My first time at year 12 I got an A in general studies, a C in maths, Ds in Biology and Chemistry and a B in Art. At the time I wasnt applying for English, but something more science based, because my parents had pressured me in that direction- I come from a family of doctors.
As part of resitting, I decided to switch Art for English Literature (which I'd always loved, but hadnt thought matched with what I intended to study at the time) and after just one lesson, I was reminded of how much I loved it, and decided that I wanted to apply for that instead.
My English teacher said I should apply for Oxford, but I wasnt sure about their policy on resits, so I emailed that and recieved a reply saying

"You would be welcome to make an application when applying under the below circumstances, we would very strongly recommend that your references mention these in their reference, but also that your academic projection would be on track for the entrance requirements. To ensure that you application was strong in the other areas, you would still be required to have achieved (or predicted) AAA, one of these subjects should be English Literature or the combined English Language and Literature subject."

I went on to achieved As in all my subjects the second time round, which is a truer representation of what I can do, seeing as my health problem had been sorted by the time I went back to year 12 in September. I was thrilled, as you can imagine.

I received a pre-interview rejection from Oxford, on Saturday the 28th of November. On Monday the 30th, I managed to get in contact with the Admissions office, and was told that they were reconsidering my application because of the information I'd sent when I originally asked them about resits, and that they would get back to me either that afternoon, or Tuesday morning. Wednesday came and I'd still not heard anything, so I rang them on wednesday evening, only to find that they had yet to contact the English Department- so my application had not been considered yet. This morning, I was told that the English Department had recommended my rejection not be changed, and they refused to tell me any more in the way of feedback. I'm feeling really mucked about, and rather humiliated, because I dont get the feeling my application was ever really reconsidered, given the quick turn around from Wednesday to Thursday. They have told me I can wait for feedback in January, but if I have any more concerns (given they've already messed up my application once) January will be too late to do anything about them.

None of my teachers can think of any reason that my application would stand out for rejection, especially before interview, and I'm really confused as to what's happened. If anyone could give their opinion I would be really grateful.

If it makes you feel better, what matters is how you regard the resit and it's not necessarily a bad thing. e.g. If you state that you're using the resit to academically prepare yourself, then it's reasonable.
Original post by Adoxography
X

I'm sorry that's really unfortunate given your circumstances, but maybe you didn't do so well on the ELAT (think that's the English one). They place an awful lot of emphasis on admissions tests because everyone applying has very good grades, that's all I can really think of that might have led them to not interview you :/
(edited 8 years ago)
My dear Andoxography, whatever Oxford thinks of you, you have proved yourself. I sincerely wish you all the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cathyobrien98
Does anyone else have an Archaeology and Anthropology interview ? (I'm Keble.)

I have one at St John's!!! I'm so excited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone heard from St Hugh's for PPL? Still waiting on a response - would it be coming by post?
Original post by Aquaxo

Awesome. Gap year looking possible then?

I'm already on one! Nah, I'd just reapply whilst at uni - I know Oxford don't people who do that.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
All of our direct applicants have now been contacted with the outcome of the first selection round. For general information, we are releasing a summary breakdown of decisions for Brasenose. Note that the following data omit Medicine because, as previously advised, these applications are administered centrally by the Medicine Department - although Medical applicants have also been contacted.

Over all other subjects applied for, 57% of applicants have been invited to attend interview either next week or the week after. Of these, 60% will be interviewed by Brasenose as the host College while 40% of interviewees have been reallocated by the Department concerned to one of 30 other Oxford Colleges. The overall interview rate of 57% is exactly the same as the most recent online figure published by the University: http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-admissions-statistics/admissions-statistics/courses

If you have been invited to interview, congratulations and we wish you all the best for the next stage. If you are staying at Brasenose, we have recruited 41 undergraduate student hosts who will work shifts to make you as welcome as possible and who will help get you to your interviews on time. We will try and make your stay as pleasant as we can - facilities include a well-equipped student common room, a comfortable single bedroom, and plenty of good food to enjoy free of charge.

If you are not coming to interview we are very sorry that it is not possible to go further with your application but likewise we wish you all the best with your other options. If you would like further feedback when it is available after 6th January, please write to us at [email protected] requesting it.

Brasenose Admissions

Hi,
Is there any chance we'll be able to use the libraries within BNC for some study space? Thanks
Original post by mechanism
Hi,
Is there any chance we'll be able to use the libraries within BNC for some study space? Thanks

Hello mechanism,

I'm afraid that the key that will be issued to you upon arrival won't give you access to the library in College. However, if you wanted to see it then one of our student hosts would certainly be able to show you around. Although our undergraduates will have mostly left the college, the library is still functioning out of term time.

All of our rooms are study bedrooms, so you will have a desk in your own room that you can use as your study space.

Brasenose Admissions
Has anyone still not heard from Merton about physics?
Original post by iluv
I got an interview for medicine from teddy hall and corpus Christ on Tuesday, and you know on the email it says that I will be contacted by my college shortly regarding the arrangements, I haven't gotten an email yet and I am starting to get worried 😳 Is anyone else in this position or am I worrying for no reason?

Same, I haven't heard about arrangements from the college but I have an interview for medicine at Pembroke and LMH, hopefully soon, was also worrying that I had been sent the wrong email!
Received invitation from Merton on CompSci an hour ago.
Original post by emiilywest
Same, I haven't heard about arrangements from the college but I have an interview for medicine at Pembroke and LMH, hopefully soon, was also worrying that I had been sent the wrong email!

Check the spam, that is where I got it...... Found that they sent the arrangement only 1 minute after the invitation one
Original post by Lydiaj8
I just got called for interview at Merton for maths. The email came at 11.03 and the interviews are from the 13th - 16th December.

Nice one, see you there! :h:
Original post by mazzaion
Is there a Classics interviewees thread on this site or not at all?

Hi!

I'm a classicist! I'll be at Brasenose from 8th to 11th December.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hello mechanism,

I'm afraid that the key that will be issued to you upon arrival won't give you access to the library in College. However, if you wanted to see it then one of our student hosts would certainly be able to show you around. Although our undergraduates will have mostly left the college, the library is still functioning out of term time.

All of our rooms are study bedrooms, so you will have a desk in your own room that you can use as your study space.

Brasenose Admissions

Thank you! Very helpful.
Original post by maella
Oh dear, I really hope this isn't the case. How are we meant to comment on a text we haven't read before?!

I was under the illusion that we had to know the texts on our PS inside out and had a close reading exercise for the second interview...

I wouldn't expect every interview at every college to be exactly like that, it was just an example of the sort of thing you would be asked. I didn't mean to panic you!!
I got my rejection :frown: . good luck everyone :tongue:
Original post by swopnil
Congratulations you! And good luck in your interviews :smile:

Haha, it's you! I wondered why someone quoted my post from a few days ago, and then I was like, "I remember that name!" How you remembered my user, I have no idea! :') Thank you though! Where did you apply to in the end? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any worcester maths applicants/interviewees?
Original post by abbiemca_
Hey, anyone at Merton 15th-16th? or for chemistry at all? :smile:

I'm at Jesus 14th to 16th for chem :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending