The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
oldrafiki
...because I was defending exactly the point of view I just expressed, that by saying this girl 'clearly' applied for an ego boost you are making unjustifiable assumptions. Maybe you're right about her reasons. Maybe I am. But given the incredibly limited knowledge we have of the person in question and her decision-making process, to draw a concrete conclusion either way is ridiculous.

so the argument isn't boring then?
Mithra
But if she didn't want to GO to Cambridge then why would you apply there, likely to get an offer or not?

I don't particularly WANT to go to Cardiff but I'm applying there because I'd like to think think I'm likely to get an offer and if my other applications don't work out I still want to go to university. Cardiff is the preferable option to sitting around at home for a year. Why is this different?
Reply 102
LH123
I am unsure, as Bristol is also looking very nice, assuming I get an offer there of course.

Let's, for the sake of the argument, assume I get five offers. By the time I have to decide firm and insurance I will have visited all the universities on various open days. Assuming Southampton is fairly nice, and Bristol too, then those two are definitely serious contenders.

Sure the Cambridge course looks great, (thats why I applied there in the first place) but I am still unsure about the whole work ethic, short hectic terms and almost everything being based on exams. I suppose I will cross that bridge when I come to it though; I doubt I'll hate wherever I end up, but I am not entirely sure Cambridge is for me.

Ah fair enough, I suppose the open days will 'weed out' whichever ones you had doubts on! Good luck. :smile:
Reply 103
moreiniho
As far as I know, Cambridge does not. Not until at least after three years.

Ah, I'm sure our lot do.

Just checked - they do, in first and second year.
Vazzyb

Answer my question about why you find it hard to believe that she felt she was more likely to get an offer at Camb than at other universities.
Reply 105
tucker672
My friend rejected Oxford becuase she said that the atmosphere was very snobby; and personally she preferred KCL.

BTW she's doing classics :smile:

Ooh hmm that's interesting. Thanks for replying!
Reply 106
oldrafiki
I don't particularly WANT to go to Cardiff but I'm applying there because I'd like to think think I'm likely to get an offer and if my other applications don't work out I still want to go to university. Cardiff is the preferable option to sitting around at home for a year. Why is this different?

Because I would rather apply to places that I really want to go than to go somewhere just 'to go to university'. Applying to a university you aren't that keen on, especially one with all the hassle of Cambridge applications, seems illogical to me but oh well, each to their own :smile:.
cpchem
Ah, I'm sure our lot do.

Just checked - they do, in first and second year.

OK sure, there is a bit but it's definitely heavily reduced.
Vazzyb

Dude, wtf? Are you indulging in some sort of attempt at a Shakespearian game of wits? How does that respond in any way to the point I made?

I never said the argument is boring, I said opinions based on assumptions were, and your opinion is based on an assumption, ergo it is boring. Your clinging on to it and conveniantly ignoring moreinho's point is boring. And yes, frankly, arguing with you is beginning to bore me too.
Mithra
Because I would rather apply to places that I really want to go than to go somewhere just 'to go to university'. Applying to a university you aren't that keen on, especially one with all the hassle of Cambridge applications, seems illogical to me but oh well, each to their own :smile:.

Again, she felt she had good odds on getting an offer at Camb and so that's why she applied there.
Reply 110
I can totally understand why people would reject Oxbridge; personally I have no idea what the workload is like for Humanities, but for Law (and I'm stereotypically assuming Sciences/Medicine) it is very hard :frown: I think Law is a difficult subject anywhere, but here it is insane.

Back on topic, but I think for someone taking a first degree and wanting to have more of a 'university experience' it makes perfect sense why they might not want to come here, as well as them deciding they feel more of an affinity with another university/course elsewhere.
Mithra

Exactly. It's a personal decision, which is why our arguing about it is a bit silly really.
Reply 112
If you reject Oxford/Cambridge for your undergrad, would you have a better chance of getting in for postgrad (cos you were accepted first time round), than if you had been rejected first time round?
Or is it just the same either way?
BrightGirl
If you reject Oxford/Cambridge for your undergrad, would you have a better chance of getting in for postgrad (cos you were accepted first time round), than if you had been rejected first time round?

same
From the GMC's inspection in 2007 about Cambridge's medical school.

Cambridge is required to: Ensure integration of clinical context with science teaching, throughout the pre-clinical years.
Cambridge is recommended to: Make assessments, particularly in the pre-clinical years, much more relevant to the clinical context. And, expand its provision of early patient contact in the pre-clinical years.

So yeah, clinically not all that good. Although it does excel elsewhere.
Reply 115
BrightGirl

It doesn't make a difference; if you really want to know about Oxbridge postgrad courses then the best place to ask is in the Postgrad forum. However, going to Oxford/Cambridge for undergrad and applying there for postgraduate does not make you a shoo-in for a place, just as applying from a different university does not disadvantage you.
Reply 116
Ad-Alta
It doesn't make a difference; if you really want to know about Oxbridge postgrad courses then the best place to ask is in the Postgrad forum. However, going to Oxford/Cambridge for undergrad and applying there for postgraduate does not make you a shoo-in for a place, just as applying from a different university does not disadvantage you.

Okey dokey, thank you, it's clear now :smile:
Vazzb appears to have a chip on his shoulder about people rejecting cambridge. To insinuate the applied in the first place to gratify their own narcissism is a little harsh. Whether you like it or not, some people do change their minds - people make mistakes, it's one of our greatest skills. Yes, there will be the odd person out there wanting to prove a point with the application, but I doubt it's as common as you're making out.

I assume from your rants, you applied to cambridge yourself and either did not get in or are there at the moment. Why did you apply? Was it to 'prove how clever you are'? I suspect you'll answer no and I'll follow that up later.
Vazzyb
oldrafiki said what you said in a far less argumentative way

See thats just the point. You think im proud of Cambridge that I can never see it being a #2 in anybody's eyes...but thats just not true. For someone, who doesn't want to be bogged down by science and doesn't want it to play a major part in their pre-clinical education...Cambridge should be #30...! Its an absolutely crap course for them. There are 30 medical courses in the country, so, in your four, why would you pick, PBL, PBL, PBL, Cambridge (or choices to that effect). It just seems ridiculous, and for me, it shows that the person was only trying to validate their own excellent grades with an Oxbridge offer, rather than seriously wanting to go there.

You're accusing me of being argumentative?

Anyway I see what you're saying, but it's not just the course that dictates where someone applies. Maybe for this girl she liked Cambridge as a place and wanted to go to an excellent university but the course was a bit off, so she applied anyway with it as her 4th or 5th favourite. There's not an unlimited amount of excellent universities that suit most peoples tastes, so it's perfectly reasonable to apply to a university that's not quite perfect for you, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're trying to show off.

Oh, and negging me? Pathetic.
Do Chickens Fly
I assume from your rants, you applied to cambridge yourself and either did not get in or are there at the moment. Why did you apply? Was it to 'prove how clever you are'? I suspect you'll answer no and I'll follow that up later.

Who's this directed at?

Latest

Trending

Trending