The Student Room Group

Should I reapply to Cambridge if I get good results?

Hi everyone,

So I got rejected from Gonville and Caius college at the University of Cambridge for Computer Science. They didn't give me a specific reason on the rejection email (as per usual) but I knew for sure that it was the admissions test.

In the room that the admissions test was taking place, there were 7 other admissions tests in the same room. I was sat at the back of the room and the end timings were presented in a tabular format. I saw the wrong end timing which meant that for the first paper, I thought I had 15 minutes more than I actually did. This messed up with my timings and since I saw that I was working through the test extremely quickly, I wanted to pace myself more so that I don't make any stupid mistakes. The test wasn't even that hard and I had workings out which led to answers that matched the options for each of the questions but timing screwed me over because it meant that I only got half of my answers down on my answer sheet in the allotted time even though I had all of my answers in the question paper.

I have offers from the following places:

Imperial: A*AAA and Grade 2 in STEP II
Edinburgh: 3 A*s
Manchester: 3 A*s

Waiting on:
Durham (but anticipating the offer).

My GCSEs: 9999999988
My A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ (5 A* predictions).

If I do well in my A levels, do you think it's worth me reapplying? I'm happy with Imperial but I really wanted to go to Cambridge too! I understand that there is a risk that I don't get the offer next year and that I will have basically given up a year but it's an opportunity I don't want to regret later on. I will be doing loads of cool projects and internships now that I will have more free time so that I can add and change stuff to my personal statement. I will also do loads of admissions test and interview practice to ensure that I stand out from the crowd. I think that this year destroyed me because of what happened in the admissions test. At least, if I don't get in next year, I will be content with the thought that I gave it a fair shot but I wasn't good enough and that I didn't submit some awful admissions test score that was down to me fumbling the wrong admissions test timing.

Let me know what you think. Options:

1) Be content with Imperial (which I am) and go for it.

2) Reapply for 2025 entry in the hope that you will get into Cambridge.

Scroll to see replies

You will always be wondering 'what if' so its best to apply next year to Cambridge rather than go to Imperial with that niggling doubt at the back of your mind.
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
You will always be wondering 'what if' so its best to apply next year to Cambridge rather than go to Imperial with that niggling doubt at the back of your mind.

Thank you for your advice! I'm genuinely considering it but I don't know whether I'm good enough to get in. The smartest person in our year got rejected post-interview for Engineering, which shocked our whole year group. I mean, if they're getting rejected, it makes me wonder whether I should re-apply because I don't think that I show the same merit as said person. Someone in the year above did end up re-applying for Cambridge and Imperial with our cohort after getting rejected from both last year and they got the offers from both so it does show that it is possible.

Can you provide me with some tips as to what I should do to improve my application in the eventuality that I do take a gap year??

Also, do you know whether a gap year is looked down upon in the future when looking for jobs due to a gap in the education process? I don't want this gap year to reflect badly and impact my job prospects.
Reply 3
Original post by StudySakura
Gap year is not looked down upon because universities appreciate you will be a little older and wiser so easier to teach. Your life experience will make you stand out because you have the patience and resilience to cope with hard work and gained extra skills younger or immediate school leavers won't have.

But what about future employers? I understood already that admissions tutors don't mind people taking gap years as long as they make the best use of it but when it comes to job prospects, l don't want this gap year to hamper my chances of getting a great job or anything. I know it sounds like I'm being unnecessarily paranoid and stressed about something but I don't want to impact my future through one bad decision. Plus Imperial is a perfectly good place to go so it's not like I'm ruling out going for Imperial rather than reapplying to Cambridge.
What if you reapply and still don't get in... and in the process also don't get an offer from Imperial again? Because you'll have to reject all your current offers to be able to reapply and you'll be up against next years cohort for places. Its not a given.
Reply 5
Original post by totallyfine
What if you reapply and still don't get in... and in the process also don't get an offer from Imperial again? Because you'll have to reject all your current offers to be able to reapply and you'll be up against next years cohort for places. Its not a given.

Exactly why I don't want to go into any risk unnecessarily...I have no guarantee of the Cambridge offer next year if I do reapply and if I don't get in, I also risk not getting into Imperial which I've already worked quite hard for. I'm happy with Imperial and when I applied, I didn't think I was going to get an offer from them either but I don't want to unnecessarily push myself.

Someone on another forum did some calculations and worked out that for home applicants, you have an 8.4% chance of getting an offer from Cambridge after removing the international quota, which I find is just crazy! Now I don't think I am in this 8.4% to actually get into Cambridge so I probably won't reapply for 2025 entry. I would like to thank everyone who has helped me to come to a decision in this thread.

@totallyfine @StudySakura @mike23mike
I think this is wise. If you were left cold at the thought of Imperial then it would be worth reconsidering. But Imperial is a real prize to you that is not worth the risk. It feels as though you are mostly considering reapplying because of how things went wrong in the maths exam. Putting right a wrong that has irritated you greatly.
But these things happen and sometimes its best to just let go of it. I predict you will meet great people and do wonderful things at Imperial which would not have happened if it weren't for that test. That's the way life goes, in my experience.
Wow I'm in almost the exact situation as you; I was just rejected from Cambridge for Natural Sciences and I'm sure it's because of my admissions test and it's been weighing on me a lot, so I was considering reapplying but I think I'd rather take an offer that I already have than risk them for the chance of maybe getting in next year. It's true that you'll always wonder "what if" but that's true of every situation, and if you're happy with Imperial (which you should be because it's a massive achievement, congratulations) then you shouldn't be so worried about just one university that didn't give you an offer.
Reply 8
Original post by einsteinfiles
Wow I'm in almost the exact situation as you; I was just rejected from Cambridge for Natural Sciences and I'm sure it's because of my admissions test and it's been weighing on me a lot, so I was considering reapplying but I think I'd rather take an offer that I already have than risk them for the chance of maybe getting in next year. It's true that you'll always wonder "what if" but that's true of every situation, and if you're happy with Imperial (which you should be because it's a massive achievement, congratulations) then you shouldn't be so worried about just one university that didn't give you an offer.

Thank you so much for your advice! It's their loss that you were rejected. I guess you gotta consider the number of people that fall through their net due to a bad day at the office and still end up successful. I know that I am fussing over nothing but once you put in the work for something (as I'm sure you're aware), it feels awful for it to have come to bear no fruit. Yeah I'm really happy with my Imperial offer considering how hard it is to get one - I'm also the first one from my school to get into Imperial for Computing so I guess that's also a plus too.

What about you? Where are you going to go after your rejection do you think?
Reply 9
Original post by StudySakura
Also know that in your first year of whichever university you go to, if you are still thinking about Cambridge, then you can reapply there but you need to start the course from year 1 ( assuming you are successful and get in). You have all options available to you so your not losing out on anything. All the best!

yeah I know about this but through research, I also found out that it is harder to get in to Oxbridge as a transfer student in comparison to getting in after taking a gap year so that's why I ruled out the transfer option.

Thank you so much for your help!
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 10
I think this is wise. If you were left cold at the thought of Imperial then it would be worth reconsidering. But Imperial is a real prize to you that is not worth the risk. It feels as though you are mostly considering reapplying because of how things went wrong in the maths exam. Putting right a wrong that has irritated you greatly.
But these things happen and sometimes its best to just let go of it. I predict you will meet great people and do wonderful things at Imperial which would not have happened if it weren't for that test. That's the way life goes, in my experience.

Yeah it's like I said - when you put in the hard work for something and it just doesn't bear any fruit from your labour, it's really dejecting and makes me want to improve upon it.

It's like doing badly on a test - you put in all of that hard work and if you fail, you feel awful. But then, for the next one, you put in even more hard work so that you ace it. It's just a shame that I don't get a shot at second chance saloon.
Reply 11

And yeah I'm really happy with Imperial given how hard it is to get an offer.
What did you get in your TMUA? Did you get an interview, and if so, how was it?

It may be a mistake to just take a gap year just for the sake of reapplying to Cambridge. Imperial is still a very google uni that you should consider. They have really good connections with industry, and have a lot more practicals/group projects in their course. If you havs a quick google, the average salary of an Imperial CS graduate is even higher than Cambridge. Of course this also depends on what you want to do after uni, cause if you would want to do research, then Oxbridge is slightly better than Imperial. If you were going to take a gap year either way, then it wouldn't really matter if you were to reapply.

Remember: whatever uni you go to doesn't define your future. Whether you get into Oxbridge is not a measure of your intelligence.
Reply 13
Original post by IllegalRazer
What did you get in your TMUA? Did you get an interview, and if so, how was it?

It may be a mistake to just take a gap year just for the sake of reapplying to Cambridge. Imperial is still a very google uni that you should consider. They have really good connections with industry, and have a lot more practicals/group projects in their course. If you havs a quick google, the average salary of an Imperial CS graduate is even higher than Cambridge. Of course this also depends on what you want to do after uni, cause if you would want to do research, then Oxbridge is slightly better than Imperial. If you were going to take a gap year either way, then it wouldn't really matter if you were to reapply.

Remember: whatever uni you go to doesn't define your future. Whether you get into Oxbridge is not a measure of your intelligence.

In practice, I was scoring 7.5 on the 2022 paper (which was way harder than what we got). In the one we did, I scored 4.7 but that's down to timing. I didn't get half of my answers on the answer sheet for the first paper and then spent 25 minutes in the second paper not being in the right mindset and having a breakdown.
No interview, no nothing, which is really annoying because someone in my year got an interview for 5.2 score.

I agree with Imperial being great and I do want to enter industry which is why I'm probably not going to reapply, not to mention that someone worked out on another thread that as a home applicant, you have an 8.4% chance of getting in after removing the international student places available. I know I'm not that good so I don't see the point now. At my Imperial interview, in my group, literally EVERYONE had an Oxbridge interview and they were a smart group. It made me feel as though I got the interview through pure luck and even more so when I got the offer.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mathmo.maths
Hi there! I got 7.8 in TMUA, 82/100 in MAT and SS in STEP. Happy to share tips and advice :smile:

How should I prepare for the STEP? I am already doing the STEP foundation modules and the past papers but I seem to be making little or no progress with it.
It's challenging to respond to your question. The Oxbridge application process is inherently unpredictable; even individuals excelling in the field you're applying for cannot assure a place before the offer day. I acknowledge that this year, half of the applicants scoring 90-95 on the MAT did not receive an offer, and 40% of those scoring above 95 were also unsuccessful. Nevertheless, many individuals choose to reapply. For instance, Westminster School has 70 gap applicants this year.
Original post by vnayak
In practice, I was scoring 7.5 on the 2022 paper (which was way harder than what we got). In the one we did, I scored 4.7 but that's down to timing. I didn't get half of my answers on the answer sheet for the first paper and then spent 25 minutes in the second paper not being in the right mindset and having a breakdown.
No interview, no nothing, which is really annoying because someone in my year got an interview for 5.2 score.

I agree with Imperial being great and I do want to enter industry which is why I'm probably not going to reapply, not to mention that someone worked out on another thread that as a home applicant, you have an 8.4% chance of getting in after removing the international student places available. I know I'm not that good so I don't see the point now. At my Imperial interview, in my group, literally EVERYONE had an Oxbridge interview and they were a smart group. It made me feel as though I got the interview through pure luck and even more so when I got the offer.

Too bad it seems Cambridge Assessment has taken down the past year result statistics for TMUA, but according to the a website called "oxbridgemind" (i chose not to post the link because otherwise the post would be censored), "the scale is designed such that around a third of test takes will achieve overall scores higher than 6.5." So a 7.5 mark of TMUA probably around top 15~20% percentile. Your argument of "2022 paper was way harder" does not matter, because the result is scaled.

The reality is, as revealed by various FOI requests about cambridge admission, for a student ranked top 15% from the admission test, the probability of receiving an offer is only about 1/3.

Just want to point this out hoping to help you get over the admission test disaster which clealy is still haunting deeply.

Why not got to Imperial, prove yourself, and if you want, apply to Cambridge graduate course a few years later? make Cambridge regret they did not take you ealier!

Edit: that 1/3 probability offer success is actually for other STEM subjects. Computer science is now the most popular course, 8.4% success rate according to Cambridge admission statistics for 2022 cycle, the second most difficult course to get in (only after medicine graduate course 7.0% success rate), so 15% percentile TMUA rank would have even lower chance of receiving offer than 1/3.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by vnayak
Hi everyone,

So I got rejected from Gonville and Caius college at the University of Cambridge for Computer Science. They didn't give me a specific reason on the rejection email (as per usual) but I knew for sure that it was the admissions test.

In the room that the admissions test was taking place, there were 7 other admissions tests in the same room. I was sat at the back of the room and the end timings were presented in a tabular format. I saw the wrong end timing which meant that for the first paper, I thought I had 15 minutes more than I actually did. This messed up with my timings and since I saw that I was working through the test extremely quickly, I wanted to pace myself more so that I don't make any stupid mistakes. The test wasn't even that hard and I had workings out which led to answers that matched the options for each of the questions but timing screwed me over because it meant that I only got half of my answers down on my answer sheet in the allotted time even though I had all of my answers in the question paper.

I have offers from the following places:

Imperial: A*AAA and Grade 2 in STEP II
Edinburgh: 3 A*s
Manchester: 3 A*s

Waiting on:
Durham (but anticipating the offer).

My GCSEs: 9999999988
My A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science, Chemistry and EPQ (5 A* predictions).

If I do well in my A levels, do you think it's worth me reapplying? I'm happy with Imperial but I really wanted to go to Cambridge too! I understand that there is a risk that I don't get the offer next year and that I will have basically given up a year but it's an opportunity I don't want to regret later on. I will be doing loads of cool projects and internships now that I will have more free time so that I can add and change stuff to my personal statement. I will also do loads of admissions test and interview practice to ensure that I stand out from the crowd. I think that this year destroyed me because of what happened in the admissions test. At least, if I don't get in next year, I will be content with the thought that I gave it a fair shot but I wasn't good enough and that I didn't submit some awful admissions test score that was down to me fumbling the wrong admissions test timing.

Let me know what you think. Options:

1) Be content with Imperial (which I am) and go for it.

2) Reapply for 2025 entry in the hope that you will get into Cambridge.

Go to Durham or Imperial.
Original post by vnayak

Something similar happened to me. At the last minute of paper 1, I realised I havent put my answers down yet on the answer sheet. Luckily I put all my answers on it in time. I almost had a heart attack!
Reply 19
Original post by christmas2023
Too bad it seems Cambridge Assessment has taken down the past year result statistics for TMUA, but according to the a website called "oxbridgemind" (i chose not to post the link because otherwise the post would be censored), "the scale is designed such that around a third of test takes will achieve overall scores higher than 6.5." So a 7.5 mark of TMUA probably around top 15~20% percentile. Your argument of "2022 paper was way harder" does not matter, because the result is scaled.

The reality is, as revealed by various FOI requests about cambridge admission, for a student ranked top 15% from the admission test, the probability of receiving an offer is only about 1/3.

Just want to point this out hoping to help you get over the admission test disaster which clealy is still haunting deeply.

Why not got to Imperial, prove yourself, and if you want, apply to Cambridge graduate course a few years later? make Cambridge regret they did not take you ealier!

Edit: that 1/3 probability offer success is actually for other STEM subjects. Computer science is now the most popular course, 8.4% success rate according to Cambridge admission statistics for 2022 cycle, the second most difficult course to get in (only after medicine graduate course 7.0% success rate), so 15% percentile TMUA rank would have even lower chance of receiving offer than 1/3.

Ah OK....I basically have no chance of getting in, I understand. In this case, I'm not going to reapply. Thank you for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending