Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    There's no chance the exam board will kick up a fuss?
    This is precisely the kind of stuff I'm afraid will happen. British Council India has a reputation for administering exams in the worst possible way and making up their own rules as they go along.

They've already charged us twice the listed fee for the exam — twice, would you believe it — and I'm terrified that they'll be trouble during the exam too. I'll be a nervous wreck anyway, and then if the exam administrators make the whole process more difficult than it already is, I'm scared I'll just freeze up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Ok so I might as well put mine out there for some pro judging for step I:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q1- shouldve been all correct but a little messy when showing the n=4 case doesnt hold/didnt expand my powers of 7s at the end (although I dont think it specifically asked u to). 19ish?
    Q2- Pretty sure that was a full after I stopped my self from being a fool and doing it wrong 20.
    Q3- Being an idiot I wrote "arcsin ..." instead of interms of pi on my axes and may have (although cant remember) missed off the domain from 3 until pi on a couple of graphs, but all rest being correct and clearly labelled. 16/17?
    Q4-Got the correct unsimplified form for f(x) but didnt rearrange or get geometrical interp. (Im guessing they just wanted to state it was a semicircle etc?) 14 ish? but not sure.
    Q5- Full
    Q6- Full except a little messy in finding one of the intersection points and may have given the wrong range of values for one of the constants/bad description at the beginning. 17/18?
    Q7-Ran out of time so probably wont count
    Q8- Completed all except the Fibonacci generating sequence as a rearranging error at the beginning of that part made my workings incorrect. Maybe 1 mark for trying correct method for that bit. How many marks would that part be worth?
    Comfortable S.

Well done!

ReputationRep:
    Can people start panicking for STEP II tomorrow? Seriously, why is everyone so calm? You lot are insane. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Offer for Cambridge? If so what college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    nope I didnt apply to Cambridge (I did apply to oxford got rejected though) . My offers are from Imperial and Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Can people start panicking for STEP II tomorrow? Seriously, why is everyone so calm? You lot are insane. :rofl:
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa

ReputationRep:
    Comfortable S.

Well done!
    Thanks, It'd be nice to think so, I guess Ill have to wait and see. But how many marks u think id get for my q 8 btw?

ReputationRep:
    Hey y'all, I know you are probably sick of these "asking what i probably got posts" but i would be very grateful.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Proved it for n=1,2,3 and disproved for n=4 but didnt manage to do the factors
    2. full apart from i mucked up the very last integral by writing sqrt(1+x^2) as sqrt(1-x^2) which messed up my answer and gave me an arccos or something, but apart from that good
    3. full, apart from i kinda mucked up the discontinuous bit and just put in straight-lines, derp
    6. full. apart from the 1/=1/+1/ thing which i guess i just put the wrong thing in
    7. parts 1,2, and 3(ish)
    11. Did some algebra, didn't get the thing for x. But I did get the thing for htan2alpha then try and find a value for cos2alpha which was really convoluted so probably not right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa
    Thank you! Some sanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobe)
    Hey y'all, I know you are probably sick of these "asking what i probably got posts" but i would be very grateful.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1. Proved it for n=1,2,3 and disproved for n=4 but didnt manage to do the factors
    2. full apart from i mucked up the last integral by writing sqrt(1+x^2) as sqrt(1-x^2) which messed up my answer and gave me an arccos or something, but apart from that good
    3. full, apart from i kinda mucked up the discontinuous bit and just put in straight-lines, derp
    6. full. apart from the 1/=1/+1/ thing which i guess i just put the wrong thing in
    7. parts 1,2, and 3(ish)
    11. Did some algebra, didn't get the thing for x. But I did get the thing for htan2alpha then try and find a value for cos2alpha which was really convoluted so probably not right.
    Q1) 11
    Q2) You shouldn't be having arctrig's at all in your answer... - but ignoring that and assuming that all you did was write sqrt(1-x^2), 18/19.
    Q3) 16
    Q6) 17
    Q7) 10-12
    Q11) 7

Depending on what exactly you did on Q2, if you didn't use the intended method, that'd likely be a 0 (I can't see where you get arctrig from...) or if all your made was miswrite sqrt(1-x^2) then it's just 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Thanks, It'd be nice to think so, I guess Ill have to wait and see. But how many marks u think id get for my q 8 btw?
    Probably drop 4/5 marks?

ReputationRep:
    Probably drop 4/5 marks?
    Really!? Phew. I know ur not the official ms but I was scared I had dropped like 6/7+ for the last part. I know it was easy but yea theres always that doubt. Feeling much better now and looking forwards for tomorrow!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm *****ing my pants tbh

ReputationRep:
    Q1) 11
    Q2) You shouldn't be having arctrig's at all in your answer... - but ignoring that and assuming that all you did was write sqrt(1-x^2), 18/19.
    Q3) 16
    Q6) 17
    Q7) 10-12
    Q11) 7

Depending on what exactly you did on Q2, if you didn't use the intended method, that'd likely be a 0 (I can't see where you get arctrig from...) or if all your made was miswrite sqrt(1-x^2) then it's just 19.

Well the integral was xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2)) and I did it by parts and got some algebra-the integral of xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2))-the integral of sqrt(1-x^2) (should have been sqrt(1+x^2) which would have given me arcsinhx)

ReputationRep:
    Well the integral was xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2)) and I did it by parts and got some algebra-the integral of xln(x+sqrt(1+x^2))-the integral of sqrt(1-x^2) (should have been sqrt(1+x^2) which would have given me arcsinhx)
    I'm afraid you wouldn't receive any credit for that, the question very clearly specified the "hence", i.e: you needed to do it by using the form of the derivative that you got previously.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid you wouldn't receive any credit for that, the question very clearly specified the "hence", i.e: you needed to do it by using the form of the derivative that you got previously.
    Wait so even though I got the right answer for the previous 2 as well I wouldn't have got any marks? What about the whole "they will give you credit even if you don't use their method" thing? Or is that completely void if they use the word hence. **** I feel sooooo stupid now. I was really happy about that because one of you guys mentioned it the day before about to integrate arcsinhx.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks do people reckon you'd get if you just did the first part of question 1, like proving it for n=1,2,3 and disapproving it for n=4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartalan73)
    How many marks do people reckon you'd get if you just did the first part of question 1, like proving it for n=1,2,3 and disapproving it for n=4?
    Zacken reckons 11.

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me what i would get for this?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1- pretty sure i got it all correct, got some weird expression for the last bit with loads of powers of 7
    2- think i got it all right
    3- i didnt put the hollow dots for discontinuities but did put fully black dots to indicate single points the graphs crossed, may have messed up sin(-4) but cant remember
    4- did all of it and got a circle with any possible centre, in the form (x-a)^2 +(y-b)^2 = 1/k^2 but then stupidly forgot to say what the significance of k is (1/modk is the radius?)
    8- think i got it all right

is this possibly a grade 1?

ReputationRep:
    Wait so even though I got the right answer for the previous 2 as well I wouldn't have got any marks? What about the whole "they will give you credit even if you don't use their method" thing? Or is that completely void if they use the word hence. **** I feel sooooo stupid now. I was really happy about that because one of you guys mentioned it the day before about to integrate arcsinhx.
    It's completely void if they use the word 'hence', I'm afraid. Still, if you did the first two parts with the intended method, then you likely picked up a good 13-ish marks?

(Original post by smartalan73)
    10-12 marks, maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by computerkid)
    can someone tell me what i would get for this?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    1- pretty sure i got it all correct, got some weird expression for the last bit with loads of powers of 7
    2- think i got it all right
    3- i didnt put the hollow dots for discontinuities but did put fully black dots to indicate single points the graphs crossed, may have messed up sin(-4) but cant remember
    4- did all of it and got a circle with any possible centre, in the form (x-a)^2 +(y-b)^2 = 1/k^2 but then stupidly forgot to say what the significance of k is (1/modk is the radius?)
    8- think i got it all right

is this possibly a grade 1?
    Q1) 20
    Q2) 20
    Q3) 17
    Q4) 18
    Q8) 20

Not sure what the point of your question is... there's no way that that's ever not going to be a 1, it might scrape an S if you're lucky.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.