TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    You may find it hard to believe, but that anon was me...

(Original post by MJK91)
    If you're close to the pass mark for resits, is it likely/possible to be able to resit a year?
    That does get taken into account. You're more likely to be allowed to retake a year if you had a mitigating circumstance or you very narrowly missed the grade (i.e. you can definitely do it, maybe just had a bad day).Sauce: Now in 8th year at the GP factory

ReputationRep:
    I passed first year!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    Well done, very pleased for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    So happy for you!!! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    Well done! Now enjoy the rest of your summer!

(Original post by Natalierm2707)
    So happy for you!!! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Well done! Now enjoy the rest of your summer!
    PRSOM but thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oh ffs. How am I this bad at interneting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    Congrats :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    Awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    Well done!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Congrats :woo:
    (Original post by JOO93)
    Well done!!
    PRSOM thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    Congratulations!!!!
    Knew it all along

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I passed first year!!
    Congrats!

Just caught up on this thread after going away for a short break with some friends. Got my resit coming up at the end of the month, feeling OK about it right now, have two solid weeks to hit it and then a few contingency days. Don't know whether I've posted since I started but I recently got a part-time job translating and I am sooooo happy about it. The contract is 1-10 hours a week with about 3 'safe' hours pw but I've already racked up 27 hours since starting two weeks ago and have about another 30 hours guaranteed for the rest of this month. Med school + translation job = geek satisfaction levels are sky-high. All I need to do now is start getting paid to stream me playing video games on Twitch and I'll have the complete package.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else dislike the BNF online formulary navigation system?

I had to complete an exercise using drug conversion charts on the online BNF and they all seem hidden.

I can't simply type Diazepam and - easily - see a conversion of Diazepam to other benzodiazepines. Unless I was being blind
    Instead I have to search "Benzodiazepines".

I can't simply type prednisolone. So I used my recently gained knowledge of the above to search corticosteroids. Nope - I have to navigate into Glucocorticoid therapy.

I know it's trying to be very structured but it seems information is not necessarily easy to get to. That's a general rant about the online BNF - not just conversion charts!

:unimpressed:

*peeks in nervously*

Hi people! Long-time lurker here, only now plucked up the courage to join in and post...
    Just found out I passed first year, so the whole med school thing won't all come crashing down around my ears just yet and it's safe to introduce myself as a second-year. Didn't want to jinx myself, you know?

ReputationRep:
    We got our second year results last week (passed woo) but the writtens pass mark was pretty high at 62%. It's always been 50-55%.
    Most people passed with 15 failing.

How's the pass mark with other medical schools like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs House)
    We got our second year results last week (passed woo) but the writtens pass mark was pretty high at 62%. It's always been 50-55%.

Our pass mark was something like 53% usually set at 50%, no idea how many failed as our ranks haven't come
    Out yet.

62% from 50-55% is a massive leap, did you feel the exams were super easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Mrs House)

I think ours is usually about 60%, or so it's rumoured. (I don't know where to look to find out for sure.) I guess it varies year on year based on how difficult the papers are deemed to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheartat20)
    Anyone else dislike the BNF online formulary navigation system?

I had to complete an exercise using drug conversion charts on the online BNF and they all seem hidden.

I can't simply type Diazepam and - easily - see a conversion of Diazepam to other benzodiazepines. Unless I was being blind
    Instead I have to search "Benzodiazepines".

I can't simply type prednisolone. So I used my recently gained knowledge of the above to search corticosteroids. Nope - I have to navigate into Glucocorticoid therapy.

I know it's trying to be very structured but it seems information is not necessarily easy to get to. That's a general rant about the online BNF - not just conversion charts!

:unimpressed:
    Currently trying to use the "NICE BNF" app on the ward to save myself hunting down a paper BNF. It's terrible. The search function doesn't work properly and it can't seem to bring up the information you want.*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.