The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
lucerna
They always say that being prompted can actually be a good thing - a sign that you're making headway. They must have to prompt you some times as you can't be expected to know all the answers to a probably-unknown topic. Better than being asked lots of easy questions that you know aren't testing you and then them having to move onto something else sharpish?

That's very true in the case of scienc and maths interviews, but when you need to be prompted in a humanities interview it probably means you do not have the facility to think of lots of ideas on the spot, which the interviewers like to see. Oh well, Exeter here I come!
Reply 461
a m8 of mine just phoned me...he just got a letter from University College, Oxford offering him a place for PPE. I haven't heard anything yet :frown:
lucerna
They always say that being prompted can actually be a good thing - a sign that you're making headway. They must have to prompt you some times as you can't be expected to know all the answers to a probably-unknown topic. Better than being asked lots of easy questions that you know aren't testing you and then them having to move onto something else sharpish?

I thought the worst part of this whole application process was going to be the actual interview. But in fact, it is all this waiting that is the worst part. I had my interview on Tuesday and I just cant stop thinking about how I did if I am going to get an offer. I am going bloody crazy.

Why the hell should Cam wait until next year? Surely they will have finished interviewing before christmas eve? Im sure if they worked hard they could get all letters out before christmas. Do they realise they the amount of anguish involved?

They are a mean bunch, aren't they.
Reply 463
Why the hell should Cam wait until next year? Surely they will have finished interviewing before christmas eve? Im sure if they worked hard they could get all letters out before christmas. Do they realise they the amount of anguish involved?

I think the reason Cam wait longer is because they have to also sort out the details of who they're going to put in the pool, as well as the offers and rejections. Maybe they should take a leaf out of Oxford's book and allocate everyone second and third choice colleges, thereby reducing the admin and saving us all a lot of stress and sleepless nights. Of course, it could just be that they're sadisitic gits who enjoy inflicting suffering
Reply 464
Specialheffa
Hi there, i had my English interview at Jesus, Cam on Tuesday 9th December. How about you? What did you think?

the place is abssolutely gorgeous, don't you think... god would i love to study there!!

xx

I ahd a Natsci interview on the 11th, it's beautiful, you're right! I'd love to study there too, though my 2nd interview went really badly so don't think there's much chance of it really! How did your interviews go? Do you know when we're supposed to hear? Tell me how you get on!
Reply 465
Mentally Ill

Tis equally mean of Oxford to ruin Christmas for the majority of its applicants, if you ask me. I survived the wait, I'm sure everyone else can!
I have a horrible feeling that if I don't get into John's, they will pool me to one of the mature colleges...

How do people feel about the prospect of going to Cambridge but not to their first choice college? For example, girls who applied to a mixed college but get offered a place at one of the all female colleges?

a.
Reply 467
Mentally Ill
I thought the worst part of this whole application process was going to be the actual interview. But in fact, it is all this waiting that is the worst part. I had my interview on Tuesday and I just cant stop thinking about how I did if I am going to get an offer. I am going bloody crazy.

I totally agree, waiting is by far the worst part. And the more I think about it, the worse I'm convinced I've performed. I'd rather take the interviews again if it meant that I'd find out the results a bit faster.

In response to your question, Cambridge send out their letters after christmas as they're worried that the letters would get lost in the pre-christmas card mail messup if they sent them earlier. As someone else said, they're probably spending more time pooling etc as well. Plus, it is kinda *their* holiday too they'd be taking up heh.
B00kwOrm
Will do! You keep me posted too. I know you'd like to stay in London, and Aliel and I would like to go to Oxbridge, but wouldn't it be kind of funny if by some twist of fate we all ended up in Durham??? I'm starting to think of alternatives now... :wink:

I really want to go to Durham but am doubting my chances @ mo! Well, no doubt we will all meet up on an open day somewhere along the line, the universities we have applied to are virtually identical so it is near on impossible for us not to!
Sar
I ahd a Natsci interview on the 11th, it's beautiful, you're right! I'd love to study there too, though my 2nd interview went really badly so don't think there's much chance of it really! How did your interviews go? Do you know when we're supposed to hear? Tell me how you get on!

I think both interviews went fine, quite chatty (went over-time, and he wanted to talk more!!), the 2nd one a little more difficult, didn't think i did too bad until.... i got home! Then did the absolute worst thing, look up questions/texts, now think i've done atrociously bad!! lol... And the exam was ok, bad thing was i had a bad flu, so i was snivelling and the most bunged-up voice ever!

I was told we was going to hear before christmas (like xmas eve) or if not the new year, so ever way a crap xmas or new yr.. lol!!

Why do you think your's went so bad? I bet you'll be fine, one of the porter's told my mum, basically those who go for interview have already been chosen to get in, but it's like fine tuning.. lol!

Hope everything goes alright, fingers are crossed! xx
Reply 470
Helenia
Tis equally mean of Oxford to ruin Christmas for the majority of its applicants, if you ask me. I survived the wait, I'm sure everyone else can!

I don't think that it ruins anything. If anything, I think people are nervous to find out how they did, and want to find out as quickly as possible. And Christmas serves a nice time to 'get over it' if you don't get in anyway :biggrin:
joka85
a m8 of mine just phoned me...he just got a letter from University College, Oxford offering him a place for PPE. I haven't heard anything yet :frown:

Hey Joka,
Are you applying to PPE at Univ? I applied there for history and haven't heard anything yet! fingers crossed
Kat
Reply 472
no i'm PPE @ Worcester...but still hearing about him made me nervous
Reply 473
joka85
no i'm PPE @ Worcester...but still hearing about him made me nervous

Ah I applied to Worcester (for medicine :biggrin: ), lovely college - how was your accomodation? I was staying in Worcester House and it was freezing :tongue: !
Reply 474
I haven't heard anything from Keble yet, I applied for PPE..nobody else who applied to Oxford that I know has heard anything yet. Getting to be a tense wait!!
I had two interviews - one at each of said colleges, and I have to say that, compared to what I was expecting, the interviews weren't too bad. What did everyone else think of their interviews?

I thought that the maths test was insanely difficult and much tougher than the sample papers on the website. Question five anyone?

Good luck to everyone who has applied to Oxford or Cambridge, and have a great Christmas!
Reply 476
flyinghorse
I had two interviews - one at each of said colleges, and I have to say that, compared to what I was expecting, the interviews weren't too bad. What did everyone else think of their interviews?

I thought that the maths test was insanely difficult and much tougher than the sample papers on the website. Question five anyone?

Good luck to everyone who has applied to Oxford or Cambridge, and have a great Christmas!

What sort of questions were on it?
Reply 477
fishpaste
What sort of questions were on it?

my maths test (oxford maths for physicists) was pretty easy. stuff like the probability of rolling a 3 when probability of rolling 2 or 4 or 5 is twice that of 1 or 3 or 6
Reply 478
edders
my maths test (oxford maths for physicists) was pretty easy. stuff like the probability of rolling a 3 when probability of rolling 2 or 4 or 5 is twice that of 1 or 3 or 6

That is quite straightforward.

I find it concerning that the little tests and whatnot that they give us in oxbridge interviews seems almost amusingly easy, but the problems they'll bring up on the spot in a realtime interview will be 100x harder.
Reply 479
I hope my rejection letter comes tomorrow! I just want to know so that I can get on with other stuff. My post doesn't come till at least 11-1pm tho! grr

Latest

Trending

Trending