The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yup, hence why packed lunches = ftw.
I think I paid nearly a fiver for a bottle of water and half a cheese baguette on my first day at uni, that's why I take a packed lunch.
Take a packed lunch?

And what drinks are you talking, 500ml bottles? (thats what they served at my college, so im just assuming) because if so, those bottles are 97p -£1.09 round where I live, so £1 is pretty standard.
Reply 4
yup they charge more because they know kids are desperate to buy stuff in school: which means bigger profits..GITS *gritts teeth*
timetokill
Take a packed lunch?

And what drinks are you talking, 500ml bottles? (thats what they served at my college, so im just assuming) because if so, those bottles are 97p -£1.09 round where I live, so £1 is pretty standard.

yeah it for the 500ml bottles.
geeksandtherest
yeah it for the 500ml bottles.

Id say £1 was quite a normal price then really.

It still sucks though, lunch used to cost me so much at college, especially in summer when you might have a couple of drinks throughout the day :frown:
Reply 7
Solution - drink tap water.
Reply 8
When I was at college we got given paper plates and plastic knives and forks. It was pathetic. If you're not happy with the service you should eat elsewhere or take a packed lunch. Packed lunches are really cheap.
Reply 9
oh yeah definitely. :yep:
Reply 10
Ours isn't that bad because it's the same price as in the school... we just get more variety :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah no one eats in the canteen - just on the high street (10mins away) we have a Chicken shop, Subway, Chinese take-away, Indian take away, Burger Grill, Sainsburys (fresh lunch everyday), Cafe, Fish and Chip Shop, another cafe, Pizza Express, another Chinese restaurant, Some food place called Benjamins (like pizza express I think ) and cant think of any more
yeah not alot of choice we have... =(
Reply 12
geeksandtherest
My college food is so dam expensive £1.00 for a drink when in supermarkets its like 80p or less and I thought that things were meant to be cheaper for students.

Anyone else here thinks there launches are over priced.

I agree.
Reply 13
Water fountain...
£1 for a 500ml bottle is very standard. You are likely to pay that in a supermarket. In London you would be looking at £1.50+.
Huh, my school must have a pretty cheap canteen. 500ml bottle of water probably around 60-70p. The most expensive drink would be Lucozade Sports (500ml) drink, around ~£1.10.

Though I rarely eat at the canteen, I'm pretty sure I can get a 500ml (carbonated) drink for <90p at the local supermarket.

You're not eating at one of those ridiculously overpriced Cafés, are you? Costa Coffee seems particularly bad value for money.
Reply 16
When I was at college I was student rep, so I frequently used to ( on behalf of the other students on my course) complain about the prices in the canteen....it didnt do any good though sadly :frown:. Food and drink was also expensive at uni , so I always took a packed lunch as it works out far cheaper to do that.
Reply 17
Go down to the local high street.
Reply 18
geeksandtherest
My college food is so dam expensive £1.00 for a drink when in supermarkets its like 80p or less and I thought that things were meant to be cheaper for students.

Anyone else here thinks there launches are over priced.

You aren't paying just for the goods, you are paying for the markup required to cover expenses like the building, staffing, running costs, training, taxes and so on.
Supermarkets tend to be able to buy in bigger bulk than universities - and have big enough range and size of building that they can have lower markup per item.

If you don't like the price, don't pay it. Buy in the supermarket and take in.
I've found nothing so far thats cheaper for students without a discount card of some sort. Plenty thats cheap, just same price as others pay.
Reply 19
Annie72
When I was at college I was student rep, so I frequently used to ( on behalf of the other students on my course) complain about the prices in the canteen....it didnt do any good though sadly :frown:. Food and drink was also expensive at uni , so I always took a packed lunch as it works out far cheaper to do that.

Complaining about the price doesn't do a lot if you aren't prepared to say where else the money for the canteen should come from.
I suppose a university could run a canteen at a loss if you don't mind then having some other student facilities getting reduced funding.
How much would you want the university to subsidise it by?

Latest

Trending

Trending