The Student Room Group

I was very disappointed with my Access HE course.

Fine I might not of been able to have got the grades at A Level but I expected some level of teaching. It just seemed to be a money making scheme. It's left me very angry. When I complained to the tutors they just added more work?
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Disappointed6
Fine I might not of been able to have got the grades at A Level but I expected some level of teaching. It just seemed to be a money making scheme. It's left me very angry. When I complained to the tutors they just added more work?
Was it an online or a college course?
No. That makes it worse. I was expecting more.

@Disapointed6
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, I have taught on an Access to HE program for over 10 years. I think the problem with some providers is that teacher allocation for access is usually an after thought as A Levels and BTECs and worked out first, and then if someone is under hours they are given Access teaching hours (there is a dedicated team where I work).

If you are unhappy with the quality of your course you may want to speak to the awarding body, in the north west it is Open Awards, I'm not sure who it is for other regions.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

This sounds awful, you should make a complaint officially. I’m doing access to science and my tutors at college are amazing, the quality of teaching is fantastic and they are so supportive especially when I had to take time off for medical reasons a few weeks ago. They are supposed to be teaching you the course content and supporting you through the process of transition to university.
I mean really this makes me feel terrible. I mean this was the worse of the worse. I put in a complaint and was told it's not there fault because it's the first time they run the course. The awarding body was OCN and I they approved the course work and I know some of the students were encouraged to simply cut and paste and this coursework was approved.

I mean it really gets me because there response was well what you gonna do. The college has a number of students with learning difficulties and I got the impression they are ripping them off and feel no amount of remorse at all. To be fair there was one reasonable teacher. But this was bad. Like really really bad.
Sorry to go on but a teacher should have a responsibility. How can someone choose that career and sleep at night. They are ripping people off. But even it's even worse than that.someone at the course the following year said they used coursework from the year before to teach student's basically plagiarising students work. This was the worse of the worse and makes me so angry and they just received further funding this year.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Sorry to go on but a teacher should have a responsibility. How can someone choose that career and sleep at night. They are ripping people off. But even it's even worse than that.someone at the course the following year said they used coursework from the year before to teach student's basically plagiarising students work. This was the worse of the worse and makes me so angry and they just received further funding this year.

The only other option you have is to put in a complaint to ofsted. Have you achieved the grades you need for university? If not you may be able to put in an appeal for special consideration if you can gain the evidence.
I got the grades but I would be totally ashamed to approach any university after this course. This is the catch - "we gave you the grades, what's the problem?"
The problem is I wanted to be taught to a level ready for university. I never received such teaching.
Honestly I am boiling over with anger at how bad this nonsense was

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending