The Student Room Group

A little Integration help plz.

Integrate with respect to x.

1. tan2x

This is like the first exercise in the bloody FP2 book, I've done like all C3 Diffentiation and C4 Integration to get to this stage and I'm stuck already on one of the first few questions oh dear.

Ok what I've done so far I've tried changing it to sin2x/cos2x and meddling around with identities but have not gotten to a form I can integrate. I've also tried to use the tan2A identity and that hasnt simplified anything . Can someone get me started please.
Reply 1
what's the derivative of cos2x? dot dot dot
Reply 2
Rocious
what's the derivative of cos2x? dot dot dot

You've got me thinking now, so my approach to make it sin2x/cos2x was right ye? and I now have to look and the general pattern where the rule is something like I = kf'(x) / f(x) ? right track?
Reply 3
yeah
Reply 4
Rocious
yeah

Hmmm that don't seem to work man. :/ the answer at the back is 0.5sec2x which aint what I'm getting.
gman2k8
Hmmm that don't seem to work man. :/ the answer at the back is 0.5sec2x which aint what I'm getting.

You mean 0.5ln(sec2x)
Reply 6
gman2k8

integral of tanx=ln|secx| +c
this is in your formula book
can you find tan2x from there?
Reply 7
ukdragon37
You mean 0.5ln(sec2x)

Nope just rechecked the answer its 0.5sec2x.
Reply 8
gman2k8

thats wrong then..
Reply 9
it is definitely -0.5ln(cos2x) = 0.5ln(sec2x) .. differentiate to check if you want
gman2k8

Then it's a misprint. It's definitely 0.5ln|2x| + c

EDIT: Sorry, should be 0.5ln|sec(2x)| + c

Spoiler

Reply 12
ukdragon37

It was starting to freak me out seriously, I'm not so confident in my maths but I knew there had to be an ln somewhere there. Thanks :smile:
ukdragon37

!!!!
Not 0.5ln|sec(2x)| + c ?
meatball893
!!!!
Not 0.5ln|sec(2x)| + c ?

OOOPS :o: I typed it right the first time

Latest