The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

milliondollarcorpse
I thought it was pretty standard? :/ The only 'odd' question was the differentiating x=tany one, all the others questions were no easier or harder than previous years (in my opinion)

That question was pretty good imo.

Just find dx/dy then find the inverse (i.e. dy/dx)

I considered using implicit differentiation but I don't think I'd have got marks for using techniques not officially covered until later in the year.
Reply 921
I walked out hating my life.
I actually started laughing midway through :/ not happy at all :frown:
I thought this exam was solid tbh, but i thought this was the last oppertunity to take this exam how come people ar eon about retakes?
Why don't all of you people rep Arsey, he does solutions and clarifies questions and gives grade boundary advice. Not even my own tutor does that (not without hassle from everyone else), AND I PAY HIM u___u
Tlc-X3
me and half my class did that!
i think it was a propper badly worded q! x

agree 100%
Reply 925
craglyboy
I thought this exam was solid tbh, but i thought this was the last oppertunity to take this exam how come people ar eon about retakes?

you can retake in june
Respect Arsey - you've helped me clear any doubts.
Thanks for the clarification i still cant believe how well some people presume they have done lol why are they doing retakes :P
Reply 928
Arsey
8 - yes you will need the other two (one of the reasons it is very hard)
9 - you are told x>1 so fg>3 not >=

great...

oh well

i lost 8 marks minimum ... dunno what else i have make silly mistakes on

retake june 2010!
According to the unoffical markscheme I got a B, meh..get on wid life.
Reply 930
For question 4. (i)

y= ln(x^2+1)/x i used the quotient rule then found hard to simplify so i crossed it out, i then changed y to ln(x^2+1)x^-1 and differentiated.

i used vu' + uv'. Is this wrong and if so do they mark crossed out solutions?

Also if i got two values for (a,b) in 7(c) and one value and method is right just i used a value out of range do i still get all the marks or less because i put down a wrong soluion as well. Thanks for any replies.
Manitude
That question was pretty good imo.

Just find dx/dy then find the inverse (i.e. dy/dx)

I considered using implicit differentiation but I don't think I'd have got marks for using techniques not officially covered until later in the year.

I jumped a step and immediately said the inverse was cos^2y which threw me off for a bit since I was confused what to do from cos^2(arctanx). But once I went back to sec^2x I got it.
Reply 932
i reckon by the sounds of everyone on this thread the grade boundaries are gonna be high, unless its just the majority of people on this thread are a minority of clever people taking the A level
Reply 933
has anyone got the paper if you have upload it so we can compare answers lol...
Reply 934
jagoodjee
For question 4. (i)

y= ln(x^2+1)/x i used the quotient rule then found hard to simplify so i crossed it out, i then changed y to ln(x^2+1)x^-1 and differentiated.

i used vu' + uv'. Is this wrong and if so do they mark crossed out solutions?

Also if i got two values for (a,b) in 7(c) and one value and method is right just i used a value out of range do i still get all the marks or less because i put down a wrong soluion as well. Thanks for any replies.

for a and b, you only lose final mark for the answer
Reply 935
jagoodjee
i reckon by the sounds of everyone on this thread the grade boundaries are gonna be high, unless its just the majority of people on this thread are a minority of clever people taking the A level

high??? or low??
Reply 936
Rubbishly Hard
Reply 937
I felt the paper went well. Struggled on two questions, the 3^x * e^(7x + 2) = 15 and differential of ln(x^2 + 1)/x. Nice to see the explanations, annoyed I forgot to separate out e^(7x + 2) into e^7x * e^2! Hope everyone got on alright.
Reply 938
D@_94M3
made stupid mistakes. like the x=tany question. i was puttin in back into part 1. lol. evn the 1st question was kinda hard.

I did that! I feel really silly now looking back at it. It could of cost me an A grade :angry:
There's an unoffical markscheme on here, has anyone checked their answers?

I got a B according to it, made some errors but meh..

Latest

Trending

Trending