Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Kd3239]
    (Original post by htn)
    if you stated the correct rule (product, quotient, etc), and you dy/dx'd correctly but just got it wrong, it then depends on the stage that you reached more than anything, where did you think you reached?

Like i said, i used the quotient rule and differentiate it correctly and got something over x^2. I should have just left it but it was worth 4 marks so i thought i have to simplify it. i should have multiply my answer by 1/x^2 not x^2. Cant believe i made that stupid mistake

did you rearrange the function to form (x+1)^2 + 3 ? if so that will minimize any chance of big marks lost, only maybe A1 for the range not being > 3

Yeah i did that and i thought that x>1 has nothing to do with the composite function so i crossed out my original answer fg(x) >= 4 and put 3 instead

my views on the paper were that the only 2 difficult questions were the question with cosec^2 2x - cot2x, this is a discrimination question ( in my view) because people are going to forget to write cot2x as cos2x/sin2x, which i did not forget to do, but i didn't write the solutions down as i forgot (...)

I got all the solution but one extra x=0 cos i solved for tan2x=0. I forgot that the graph y=cotx doesnt go though 0. Do you think the examiner might let this off considering it was a hard paper
    I was so close to doing the same simplifying error as you did ie multiplying by x^2 but luckily i decided to leave it.
    don't worry about changing your answer from >= 4 because that is just as wrong as >=3 it is a continuous graph not discrete.
    If everyone got the questions wrong on tanx etc they might give a method mark (though i doubt it) or show it in reduced boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klgyal)
    i wrote that too
    It's wrong as Arsey explained but probably only 1 mark lost lol

ReputationRep:
    is that ppr available over hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    It's wrong as Arsey explained but probably only 1 mark lost lol
    oh ..never mind :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    but domain is x>1 and so x cannot= 1

you have to consider that. so range >3

i did the same mistake on the mocks. it is y>=3 because when you make a composite function you forget the domains and ranges of the other 2 functions as if they wer not there. only if he said fg(x) x>1 then range >3 but in fact it was not like that. do u get wat i mean?

ReputationRep:
    guys i have a question..

on question 4 part b a simple question like that couldnt possibly be worth 5 marks cause its so simple. wat i did was use the equation he gave us and replace it in dy/dx of part a. i reached really far in the process and i almost got it actually. has anyone done the same???? wat confused me was the way the question was asked. it sounded like he was talking about dy/dx of part (A). wat do u guys think? and if im wrong i lose 5 marks ryt?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da__Man)
    guys i have a question..

on question 4 part b a simple question like that couldnt possibly be worth 5 marks cause its so simple. wat i did was use the equation he gave us and replace it in dy/dx of part a. i reached really far in the process and i almost got it actually. has anyone done the same???? wat confused me was the way the question was asked. it sounded like he was talking about dy/dx of part (A). wat do u guys think? and if im wrong i lose 5 marks ryt?????
    don't really know what you said but the two parts of the question weren't connected

ReputationRep:
    Well I found it bloody difficult...I doubt I'm even going to even get a D...
    I hate it when I feel so thick compared to others...
    And I revised :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    some of you guys are really dumb.....the calculation of grade boundaries is a complex mathematical porcess carried out by edexcel's best statisticians

heres a UMS to raw marks converter.

you will realise that not only does the boundary of the A grade determine the UMS marks, but so does the E grade!!!

PS: this is an important tool i have given you guys...i must be rewarded for it!!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls UMS_Converter.xls (21.5 KB, 146 views)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AnthonyH91)
    You 're predictions don't make sense at all. If 100 were 70-71 then the grade for an A would be much lower than 61-63. You're saying that 93% raw makrs will get 100% UMS, and 84% raw for 80% UMS.
    try the UMS calculator and you will realise that you are mistaken!!

ReputationRep:
    PS: this is an important tool i have given you guys...i must be rewarded for it!!
    It was made by someone else, did you remove the name so you could claim credit? :hmmm:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5&postcount=14

ReputationRep:
    Has a copy of the paper been released?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    It was made by someone else, did you remove the name so you could claim credit?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5&postcount=14
    no way am i claiming that it is made by me.i dont think i mentioned that it is made made by me...did i???...i dont even know how it is supposed to be done. i am just passing on the good work done by someone to those who need it.

and i think i have just been negged by you. well i wasnt 'rep fishing' as you claim. i didnt mean 'reps' when i said reward. all i wanted is a thank you!

i wonder why evertone thinks about reps and negs....chill out and lets be friends and help each other

ReputationRep:
    no way am i claiming that it is made by me.i dont think i mentioned that it is made made by me...did i???...i dont even know how it is supposed to be done. i am just passing on the good work done by someone to those who need it.

and i think i have just been negged by you. well i wasnt 'rep fishing' as you claim. i didnt mean 'reps' when i said reward. all i wanted is a thank you!

i wonder why evertone thinks about reps and negs....chill out and lets be friends and help each other
    Yes, it was me

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.. It's my bad. I think I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

That tool is great though Think I'll use it once our results are released :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LetoKynes)
    Yes, it was me

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.. It's my bad. I think I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning

That tool is great though Think I'll use it once our results are released
    thats ok mate, though you cost me 8rep points!!! but its ok. just bless the guy who made it. i tried it during the june09 session and it worked wonders...
    i hope you ok with the entropy stuff on the other side

best of luck for your reamining exams

ReputationRep:
    Thank god its over!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    You're a bit late...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john1234567)
    sorry, how? it's clearly two separate parts of the question

Because it says "given that"
    it seemed to suggest that you should sub in tany into where x is in the answer to the previous q!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tlc-X3)
    Because it says "given that"
    it seemed to suggest that you should sub in tany into where x is in the answer to the previous q!
    Yeah, i had the same problem, they should have used another letters instead of x and y or no use the term "given that". 5 marks gone in that easy question...

Having spoken to my students I would be amazed if the boundary for 80UMS is anywhere near 60. I am going for 55/75. Initially, I thought lower, but in reflection there were quite a lot of easy marks/questions.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.