The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone going to watch this series of Big Brother, or is it just me and Michael? Vlad need not answer, I think I know the answer to that already :mmm:
secretmessages
Anyone going to watch this series of Big Brother, or is it just me and Michael? Vlad need not answer, I think I know the answer to that already :mmm:

secretmessages

:hmmm:
Reply 6243
secretmessages

:no:
spikeymike
:hmmm:

What? :hmmm:
secretmessages
What? :hmmm:

I don't need to explain myself. :plz2: You know why. :p:
Exam results and year grade at noon tomorrow, hopefully the server will overload and crash for a few months :woo:
ish90an
Exam results and year grade at noon tomorrow, hopefully the server will overload and crash for a few months :woo:

Best of luck! :biggrin:
Oh wow! You can now add a background image to Google (separate to iGoogle)
Reply 6249
Mad Vlad
For forensics work, yes.

Which distro are you using

is it modified to be just for forensincs?

cmon guys...linux is decent at desktop computing ;P
secretmessages

Cool story bro. :pierre:
spikeymike
Cool story bro. :pierre:

Why are you up so early? :smug:
LW5x01

Sorry man, but (just for one complaint) the sound handling in Linux is a joke.
See http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/drivers/8100-why-you-should-care-about-pulseaudio-and-how-to-start-doing-it
That article is about pulseaudio fixing things. Why the hell do they need to be fixed in the first place?
Q: Why one earth are there SO MANY audio systems?
A: Because (clearly) none of them are any good.
If everyone just got together (thats what open source is about right?) and sorted out a decent sound system, everyone would be happy. But no. They want added abstraction layers on their abstraction layers where one layer would do :facepalm:

On a slightly related note, an OS that does not detect plugged in headphones on a PC it purportedly runs on is not an OS, it's a practical joke.

All this said, Linux is great for pen testing (e.g. backtrack) :smile:. Just not a desktop OS.

Edit: oh christ, this is priceless. From wiki
In a typical installation scenario under Linux, the user configures ALSA to use a virtual device provided by PulseAudio.

Hey, this makes some sense!
Thus, applications using ALSA will output sound to PulseAudio, which then uses ALSA itself to access the real sound card.

Wait, what? So, you know, you could just yank pulseaudio and write a decent replacement for ALSA instead of adding yet another application into the mess.
This morning has been very odd but has turned out "everything better than expected" like multiplied by a gazillion. :s-smilie:
secretmessages

damn, it doesnt stretch to fit
Reply 6255
Chrosson
Sorry man, but (just for one complaint) the sound handling in Linux is a joke.
See http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/drivers/8100-why-you-should-care-about-pulseaudio-and-how-to-start-doing-it
That article is about pulseaudio fixing things. Why the hell do they need to be fixed in the first place?
Q: Why one earth are there SO MANY audio systems?
A: Because (clearly) none of them are any good.
If everyone just got together (thats what open source is about right?) and sorted out a decent sound system, everyone would be happy. But no. They want added abstraction layers on their abstraction layers where one layer would do :facepalm:

On a slightly related note, an OS that does not detect plugged in headphones on a PC it purportedly runs on is not an OS, it's a practical joke.

All this said, Linux is great for pen testing (e.g. backtrack) :smile:. Just not a desktop OS.

Edit: oh christ, this is priceless. From wiki

Hey, this makes some sense!

Wait, what? So, you know, you could just yank pulseaudio and write a decent replacement for ALSA instead of adding yet another application into the mess.

There is no perfect OS :>

Yes, the sound systems sounds complicated and useless, but I hardly had any problems with it at all. And when I did, they were resolved quickly.
LW5x01

Masterkey Linux
Backtrack 4
SANS Forensic Workstation

Masterkey and SFW are modified for forensics work - Software write blocking and default root privilege along with a broad toolkit.

We also use Backtrack 4 for pen testing.
In other news, I'm very ill. :frown: Spent most of the night making a mess of the bathroom and I've had to miss work tonight because I feel so grim.
Mad Vlad
In other news, I'm very ill. :frown: Spent most of the night making a mess of the bathroom and I've had to miss work tonight because I feel so grim.

:nn: Get well soon :hugs:
secretmessages
:nn: Get well soon :hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending