Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by LW5x01)
    anyone uses linux here then?
    I use it for server stuff, used to use it as a desktop OS, but I've gone off that now, 7 is better.

ReputationRep:
    i only use linux to test my coursework on, since, that is what it will be marked on

everything else, i use windows
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Anyone going to watch this series of Big Brother, or is it just me and Michael? Vlad need not answer, I think I know the answer to that already :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Anyone going to watch this series of Big Brother, or is it just me and Michael? Vlad need not answer, I think I know the answer to that already :mmm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :hmmm:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    :no:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    :hmmm:
    What? :hmmm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What? :hmmm:
    I don't need to explain myself. :plz2: You know why. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Exam results and year grade at noon tomorrow, hopefully the server will overload and crash for a few months :woo:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Exam results and year grade at noon tomorrow, hopefully the server will overload and crash for a few months :woo:
    Best of luck!
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh wow! You can now add a background image to Google (separate to iGoogle)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    For forensics work, yes.
    Which distro are you using

is it modified to be just for forensincs?

cmon guys...linux is decent at desktop computing ;P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cool story bro. :pierre:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Cool story bro. :pierre:
    Why are you up so early? :smug:

ReputationRep:

Sorry man, but (just for one complaint) the sound handling in Linux is a joke.
    See http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/d...start-doing-it
    That article is about pulseaudio fixing things. Why the hell do they need to be fixed in the first place?
    Q: Why one earth are there SO MANY audio systems?
    A: Because (clearly) none of them are any good.
    If everyone just got together (thats what open source is about right?) and sorted out a decent sound system, everyone would be happy. But no. They want added abstraction layers on their abstraction layers where one layer would do :facepalm:

On a slightly related note, an OS that does not detect plugged in headphones on a PC it purportedly runs on is not an OS, it's a practical joke.

All this said, Linux is great for pen testing (e.g. backtrack) . Just not a desktop OS.

Edit: oh christ, this is priceless. From wiki
    In a typical installation scenario under Linux, the user configures ALSA to use a virtual device provided by PulseAudio.
    Hey, this makes some sense!
    Thus, applications using ALSA will output sound to PulseAudio, which then uses ALSA itself to access the real sound card.
    Wait, what? So, you know, you could just yank pulseaudio and write a decent replacement for ALSA instead of adding yet another application into the mess.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    This morning has been very odd but has turned out "everything better than expected" like multiplied by a gazillion.

ReputationRep:
    damn, it doesnt stretch to fit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Sorry man, but (just for one complaint) the sound handling in Linux is a joke.
    See http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/d...start-doing-it
    That article is about pulseaudio fixing things. Why the hell do they need to be fixed in the first place?
    Q: Why one earth are there SO MANY audio systems?
    A: Because (clearly) none of them are any good.
    If everyone just got together (thats what open source is about right?) and sorted out a decent sound system, everyone would be happy. But no. They want added abstraction layers on their abstraction layers where one layer would do :facepalm:

On a slightly related note, an OS that does not detect plugged in headphones on a PC it purportedly runs on is not an OS, it's a practical joke.

All this said, Linux is great for pen testing (e.g. backtrack) . Just not a desktop OS.

Edit: oh christ, this is priceless. From wiki

Hey, this makes some sense!

Wait, what? So, you know, you could just yank pulseaudio and write a decent replacement for ALSA instead of adding yet another application into the mess.
    There is no perfect OS :>

Yes, the sound systems sounds complicated and useless, but I hardly had any problems with it at all. And when I did, they were resolved quickly.

ReputationRep:

Masterkey Linux
    Backtrack 4
    SANS Forensic Workstation

Masterkey and SFW are modified for forensics work - Software write blocking and default root privilege along with a broad toolkit.

We also use Backtrack 4 for pen testing.

ReputationRep:
    In other news, I'm very ill. Spent most of the night making a mess of the bathroom and I've had to miss work tonight because I feel so grim.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.