The Student Room Group

Uni course

so i currently study film and tv extended diploma. In the future i would love to be a film or tv writer and an editor, as i enjoy scriptwriting and editing on adboe. However, i also have a keen interest for computer science and a lot of entry level jobs in this field can be both rewarding and well paying. I am unsure about what to study at uni but i am leaning towards comiputer science as a degree in film may not always be seen as a requirement. Can anyone offer some adviec on what i should do? thanks
Original post by The student Dan
so i currently study film and tv extended diploma. In the future i would love to be a film or tv writer and an editor, as i enjoy scriptwriting and editing on adboe. However, i also have a keen interest for computer science and a lot of entry level jobs in this field can be both rewarding and well paying. I am unsure about what to study at uni but i am leaning towards comiputer science as a degree in film may not always be seen as a requirement. Can anyone offer some adviec on what i should do? thanks

I normally recommend people to go for the subject they have the most interest in. However, as you don't know what you want to do, I would recommend going for the degree with the stricter requirement i.e. computer science.

You can always become a film writer and editor without a degree (or a degree in any subject). People in tech tend to be pickier with their graduates (even though I can sometimes say you can get by with professional certificates in IT as well).

With a degree in CS, you have the option to go into both sectors should you wish (or rather change careers at some point). With a degree in film, you're more limited in your options.

If you really want to push it, you can try out screenwriting or directing whilst you're at uni as part of a club/society (they do that there).
thank you for thew advice that is very helpful. in terms of computer sceince degrees do companies and employers prefere the standard CS degree or would doing cyber decurity or business computer gain me similar access to employab9ility as they cover a lot of the same modules, especially cyber secrutiy
- thanks
Original post by MindMax2000
I normally recommend people to go for the subject they have the most interest in. However, as you don't know what you want to do, I would recommend going for the degree with the stricter requirement i.e. computer science.

You can always become a film writer and editor without a degree (or a degree in any subject). People in tech tend to be pickier with their graduates (even though I can sometimes say you can get by with professional certificates in IT as well).

With a degree in CS, you have the option to go into both sectors should you wish (or rather change careers at some point). With a degree in film, you're more limited in your options.

If you really want to push it, you can try out screenwriting or directing whilst you're at uni as part of a club/society (they do that there).
Original post by The student Dan
thank you for thew advice that is very helpful. in terms of computer sceince degrees do companies and employers prefere the standard CS degree or would doing cyber decurity or business computer gain me similar access to employab9ility as they cover a lot of the same modules, especially cyber secrutiy
- thanks

As I haven't done a CS degree or work in tech, I probably not the best person to ask. From what have seen, the jobs in tech tend to favour the degree in CS as opposed any degree with computing.

Having said that, I think the employers care more about your ability to do the job well and quickly as opposed to how much you know.
Again, if cybersecurity is an area of interest for you, you can often do professional IT certificates in the subject. Let me know if you want recommendations.

The thing I forgot to mention is that should you wish to do a master's, you can do it in either film or computer science with an undergrad in film or computer science, since there are degrees in both subjects that accept undergrads in any subjects. However, I am not keen for people to do master's just to get into the industry (it's fine for getting into academic research or for personal interest though). Master's degrees generally don't improve your employment prospects that much unless it's a strict legal requirement for specific senior positions - the key is always getting the appropriate and relevant work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending