The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Here's a serious techy question...

What kind of wokrstation spec would one expect that produces animated computer graphics for a large scale movie production? Intel Xeon?

We have to do an individual pitch, and come up with a spec to persuade the change to newer technology. Currently, they're using a "farm of networked PCs with Intel Pentium 3 processors on XP" :lolwut:
Original post by spikeymike

Original post by spikeymike
Here's a serious techy question...

What kind of wokrstation spec would one expect that produces animated computer graphics for a large scale movie production? Intel Xeon?

We have to do an individual pitch, and come up with a spec to persuade the change to newer technology. Currently, they're using a "farm of networked PCs with Intel Pentium 3 processors on XP" :lolwut:

24GB of RAM and the like
Original post by alexsheppard11
24GB of RAM and the like

What kind? DDR2/3/4? dual or tri channel?

GPU? Crossfire? What about every other barebones PC connected to the network? (Distributed computing)
single/dual ati FireStreams / anything CUDA ???
guys, is there any form of wireless usb around?
i.e. i want to connect my camera to my desktop wirelessly, but whatever i search for brings up wireless usb network adaptors
Reply 8785
guys, is there any form of wireless usb around?
i.e. i want to connect my camera to my desktop wirelessly, but whatever i search for brings up wireless usb network adaptors

Not that I've ever heard of. Does your camera support Bluetooth? Otherwise I think you're out of luck.

Original post by Dez
Not that I've ever heard of. Does your camera support Bluetooth? Otherwise I think you're out of luck.

nope, tis a Canon 40D. 5m USB cable is good for moving around, but the trailing cable is an epic trip hazard.
nope, tis a Canon 40D. 5m USB cable is good for moving around, but the trailing cable is an epic trip hazard.

eyeFi?
Original post by gamer91

Original post by gamer91
eyeFi?

that's interesting!
http://support.eye.fi/product-info/camera-compatibility/compatibility/known-issues-with-compact-flash-card-adapters/

but if you follow the link:
"UPDATE: The newest Eye-FI cards no longer work with CF adapters. Sorry about this folks!"

:frown:
that's interesting!
http://support.eye.fi/product-info/camera-compatibility/compatibility/known-issues-with-compact-flash-card-adapters/

but if you follow the link:
"UPDATE: The newest Eye-FI cards no longer work with CF adapters. Sorry about this folks!"

:frown:

ah that's a shame, sounded like it would have otherwise done the job.
Original post by gamer91

Original post by gamer91
ah that's a shame, sounded like it would have otherwise done the job.

basically i'm trying to do a tethered shoot with adobe lightroom.
in the past i've used a 5m usb cable, but this is not good with drunk people and my camera ends up on the floor.

i may try using multiple cards:
take all the photos for a group on a card, swap cards for the next group and the card is dumped onto the computer.

but then again, the photos won't be transferring as i'm taking them :frown:
basically i'm trying to do a tethered shoot with adobe lightroom.
in the past i've used a 5m usb cable, but this is not good with drunk people and my camera ends up on the floor.

i may try using multiple cards:
take all the photos for a group on a card, swap cards for the next group and the card is dumped onto the computer.

but then again, the photos won't be transferring as i'm taking them :frown:

A netbook sounds like it would work for what you want.
Original post by Chrosson

A netbook sounds like it would work for what you want.

netbook?!
the issue is the cable between my camera and computer setup somewhere in the room.
il need a decent screen size to show the pictures to the drunks, and to get the photos onto it quickly.
netbook?!
the issue is the cable between my camera and computer setup somewhere in the room.
il need a decent screen size to show the pictures to the drunks, and to get the photos onto it quickly.

Connect your camera to a netbook, which is networked (possibly via an ad-hoc network) to your main computer. This way the cables are all contained around the netbook, the photos can be transmitted instantaneously to the main computer.
I don't know precisely how tethered shoots 'work' though - do you set up a camera somewhere in the room and remotely take photos, or wander around with the camera?
If a) position the netbook next to the camera. If b) stick the netbook in a backpack with the usb cord coming round to the front where you're holding your camera.
Of course, a netbook is a bit of an investment for a relatively simple task like this...unless you already have one.

Connect your camera to a netbook, which is networked (possibly via an ad-hoc network) to your main computer. This way the cables are all contained around the netbook, the photos can be transmitted instantaneously to the main computer.
I don't know precisely how tethered shoots 'work' though - do you set up a camera somewhere in the room and remotely take photos, or wander around with the camera?
If a) position the netbook next to the camera. If b) stick the netbook in a backpack with the usb cord coming round to the front where you're holding your camera.
Of course, a netbook is a bit of an investment for a relatively simple task like this...unless you already have one.

by tethered shoot, i mean i take the photos with the USB connected and lightroom running on the computer. the photos are saved on both the camera and transferred and saved on the computer, and imported into lightroom.
in the photo you can just about see my laptop on the side.

the netbook idea would work, but is OTT.
if only they made eye fi for CF cards

Spoiler

:teehee:

Ubuntu 11.10 will be called Oneiric Ocelot :moon:
Reply 8798
Original post by secretmessages
Ubuntu 11.10 will be called Oneiric Ocelot :moon:

That's an onerous onomatopoeia. :holmes:
Original post by Dez
That's an onerous onomatopoeia. :holmes:

Onerous Onomatopoeia is a far better name for a Ubuntu iteration, IMO :laugh:

Latest