The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Consider the double integral I2 = ∫∫ e-(x^2 + y^2) dydx ...convert to polar coordinates :yes:
Reply 2
And to evaluate -x^p *e^(-x) from zero to infinity where p is constant
Once you've got the result to the first question you can differentiate under the integral sign (wrt to a parameter) to obtain that. I think.

Ignore that, I thought it was e-x^2. I would have thought that you could proceed using by parts on that function.
Reply 4
EierVonSatan
Consider the double integral I2 = ∫∫ e-(x^2 + y^2) dydx ...convert to polar coordinates :yes:

Thanks. What limit should I use for polar coordinate?
~charmaine~
Thanks. What limit should I use for polar coordinate?

between π and 0 :smile:
Reply 6
EierVonSatan

what's n?
I thought I would limit for dr and limit for d theta?
Thanks
that's supposed to be pi π\pi (stupid character set)
Reply 8
I have f(1/2) =2 * ( integrate e^(-t^2) wrt t from zero to infinity )
I am asked to find ( f(1/2) )^2 hence obtain the value of f(1/2)

So I got ( f(1/2) )^2 = 4* ( integrate e^(-t^2) wrt t from zero to infinity )^2 and used the above method...

The answer should be pi but I keep getting 2pi ? help :frown:

Thanks
Reply 9
What level are you working at here? You've been asking a lot of questions, some of which seem to be sort of A2 Maths level and some of which wouldn't appear until degree level; and I can't help but notice that when people mention a method you're not often familiar with the method, let alone the problem itself... maybe I'm reading too much into it (but if you let us know what level you're at we can probably help more).
Reply 10
nuodai
What level are you working at here? You've been asking a lot of questions, some of which seem to be sort of A2 Maths level and some of which wouldn't appear until degree level; and I can't help but notice that when people mention a method you're not often familiar with the method, let alone the problem itself... maybe I'm reading too much into it (but if you let us know what level you're at we can probably help more).

1st year :smile: I am just trying to to revise and do pastpaper at the same time and it is not going very well at the moment :frown:
And yeah, some of them is really A2 maths embarrassingly because I keep making really really stupid mistakes that I can't spot!
~charmaine~
And to evaluate -x^p *e^(-x) from zero to infinity where p is constant
If p is an *integer*, you can integrate by parts repeatedly.

If p isn't an integer, then (in general (*)) the integral can't be solved analytically.

(*) There are some exceptions, but no general solution.
EierVonSatan
Are you sure you mean that?

There are 2 normal ways of doing this:

Find 00ex2y2dydx\int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2} \, dy \, dx

which gives a range for theta of 0 to pi/2, or

find ex2y2dydx\int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2} \, dy \, dx

which gives a range for theta of 0 to 2pi.

She hasn't posted working, but I would suspect this is why the OP is off by a factor of 2.
DFranklin

That's what I meant, it was just wrong :p:

I was trying to work backwards form the result over all space but forgot about having to root the answer at the end /goesbacktochemistry
Reply 14
ohhhh so limit is 0 to pi/2 ? Why? 0 to pi does seem to make sense as we want half of -infinity to infinity?

DFranklin

There are 2 normal ways of doing this:

Find 00ex2y2dydx\int_0^\infty \int_0^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2} \, dy \, dx

which gives a range for theta of 0 to pi/2, or

find ex2y2dydx\int_{-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2-y^2} \, dy \, dx

which gives a range for theta of 0 to 2pi.

She hasn't posted working, but I would suspect this is why the OP is off by a factor of 2.
Reply 15
Don't you need the error function (erf) to solve that kind of integrals?

I am not really familiar with the A-levels syllabus/program, and I'm not very familiar either with the error function, but I think that you should look on the internet. Even if you are not asked to use it, it will expand your mathematical horizons :smile:
Reply 16
~charmaine~
ohhhh so limit is 0 to pi/2 ? Why? 0 to pi does seem to make sense as we want half of -infinity to infinity?

Because if you want to integrate from 0 to infinity in the x axis, we're only integrating over the first quadrant in the x-y plane (so all theta values between 0 and pi/2).

paranomase: you don't need the error function to do the definite integral from -infinity to infinity, only to do any indefinite integrals
around
paranomase: you don't need the error function to do the indefinite integral from -infinity to infinity.
Um, the integral from -infinity to infinity is a *definite* integral, not an indefinite one.
Reply 18
DFranklin
Um, the integral from -infinity to infinity is a *definite* integral, not an indefinite one.

:facepalm2: getting improper mixed up with indefinite
Reply 19
around
:facepalm2: getting improper mixed up with indefinite

Yeah so it is a definite one....so why can't we use the error function? Maybe DFranklin has an idea ? :smile:

From what I know (that is not very much), erf(x) is "associated" to a definite integral:

erf(x)=2π0xet2dt erf(x)= \frac{2}{\sqrt\pi}\int^x_0 e^{-t^2} dt

I don't know however if it works when x x\rightarrow\infty or even then, what would limx+erf(x)\displaystyle\lim_{x\to +\infty} erf(x) be ?

Latest