The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Made at the request of our wonderful mod :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hiya. i'm about to begin sixth form next week and i'm doing a-levels in english language, biology, chemistry and modern history. i'd really love to do medicine at university but i'm worried that they'd choose a candidate with an a-level in maths rather than english language. how much is this true? i really do not wanna do maths.. it's boring and too difficult! i'd really appreciate it if you could help me out :smile:
Reply 2
Maths is not a necessity at all for medicine. Don't worry about not having it. Most unis only require Bio and Chem so you're fine!
Reply 3
no, you dont need it
Bio and Chem are fine, although Maths could help since its a hard a'level but bio and chem is the minimum
Reply 4
Eklipz89

Bio and Chem are fine, although Maths could help since its a hard a'level but bio and chem is the minimum

In contrast to easy peasy English & History? Hmmm. :p:
If you have a one dimensional view of sciences = hard then maybe. :wink:

To the OP, why would they choose someone with Maths over you if they don't say they require Maths? Play to your strengths and interests - as long as you meet the subject requirements, which you will for the majority of places (that's where you'll need to do your research - some colleges of a medical school do definitely state they would prefer 3 sciences/maths) & some may even prefer the fact you're offering a contrasting subject (again, prospectus reading time!).

Did you get above a B in Maths GCSE though? Need to check whether the medical schools you're interested in have requirements for GCSEs or subjects not taken beyond. & if you apply to places that use aptitude tests you might want to brush up on your basic maths before you sit them in case you're a bit rusty!
Maths isnt necessary, biology and chemistry are 2 good sciences. But English language isnt respected as much as combined or lit. In a competitive course such as medicine I think you should consider combined or literature.

Have you thought about physics?

Personally I would do Biology, Chemistry, English lit OR Combined and then modern history. Or is you like physics do the 3 sciences and history?
xxxxxx
p.s. have a look at uni prospectuses or ucas.
els1398
hiya. i'm about to begin sixth form next week and i'm doing a-levels in english language, biology, chemistry and modern history. i'd really love to do medicine at university but i'm worried that they'd choose a candidate with an a-level in maths rather than english language. how much is this true? i really do not wanna do maths.. it's boring and too difficult! i'd really appreciate it if you could help me out :smile:

Have a look on the uni web pages of your choice :smile: lazy ...
you don't need maths, the only A levels you need are chemistry and biology, which you got. I would say don't even take maths as you yourself find it difficult, so an A in English will look so much better than a C in maths.
Also, English and modern history are very contrasting to the science subjects, showing to unis you are a well-rounded person, with histroy also giving you some analytical skills are are very important towards a medicine degree. bear in mind that, work experience is far more valuable than an A level in maths in my opinion. so if you don't want to do maths, don't take it, don't pressurise yourself in the extra workload trying to figure out how to do differentiation late in the night. your options are fine, in fact they're great! (but to be honest, I would do combined english or english lit, as medicine is very competitive to get in to)

good luck at sixth form, and remember to get some work experience!
I know someone who took Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Philosophy and French and got into UCL for medicine. It's entirely possible not to have maths but be prepared to take good subjects to replace it as most candidates for medicine will have Maths.
I did biology, chemistry, music and english literature. Lack of maths has not hindered me one bit.

However, english literature and music were good for two SSCs I did as well as a few essays.
Ignoramus
I know someone who took Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Philosophy and French and got into UCL for medicine. It's entirely possible not to have maths but be prepared to take good subjects to replace it as most candidates for medicine will have Maths.

I read in the Independent about someone who took exactly the same subjects! I myself am considering Maths, Chem, Bio and Phil. but I still got a whole year to chew it over and see how my results go.
Reply 11
dark-knight
Have a look on the uni web pages of your choice :smile: lazy ...

i've looked at several universities already before posting and they all say a-levels in only biology and chemistry are really needed. i was just worried.
Reply 12
Elles

Did you get above a B in Maths GCSE though? Need to check whether the medical schools you're interested in have requirements for GCSEs or subjects not taken beyond. & if you apply to places that use aptitude tests you might want to brush up on your basic maths before you sit them in case you're a bit rusty!

I got an A in my maths, so I'm not too bad but i'm worried it will be too difficult at a-level.
els1398
I got an A in my maths, so I'm not too bad but i'm worried it will be too difficult at a-level.

There's nothing wrong with your subject choices and you have the main two sciences already. Don't put yourself through maths if it's not for you.
Reply 14
Although you may not need maths for medicine specifically, you should still take it to at least AS-level. GCSE is not even basic maths, and the skills you gain in maths are practically invaluable,

gosh how can anyone go a life without basic knowledge of calculus
nadine102
Although you may not need maths for medicine specifically, you should still take it to at least AS-level. GCSE is not even basic maths, and the skills you gain in maths are practically invaluable,

gosh how can anyone go a life without basic knowledge of calculus

I've coped pretty well these past years. I think GCSE maths will do me another 50 or so. :p:
No, you're fine. Ignore any idiot who tells you otherwise.
Reply 17
Do you seriously not know how to use Google?

(and no, you don't need maths A-level.)
Reply 18
I had it drummed into me before Sixth Form (by teachers, parents, even someone whos son is a doctor lol..) that "If you want to do medicine you need maths", so i'm taking it currently at AS just because I thought I had to, but i've been looking into it loads & YOU REALLY DON'T!
No Unis ask for it & as long as your 3rd /4th A2 isnt like "an easy one" its perfectly fine.

I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, PE & Critical Thinking & Maths, I was going to drop critical thinking but I might decide to drop maths...Hmmm..I'll have to think this over for a while, PE isnt exactly regarded as a great difficulty so that doesn't make much of a strong A Level.

Bah I would have taken something like Law now if i'd known..!

Ahh well, happy college people! =D
Reply 19
iRaachX
I had it drummed into me before Sixth Form (by teachers, parents, even someone whos son is a doctor lol..) that "If you want to do medicine you need maths", so i'm taking it currently at AS just because I thought I had to, but i've been looking into it loads & YOU REALLY DON'T!
No Unis ask for it & as long as your 3rd /4th A2 isnt like "an easy one" its perfectly fine.

I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, PE & Critical Thinking & Maths, I was going to drop critical thinking but I might decide to drop maths...Hmmm..I'll have to think this over for a while, PE isnt exactly regarded as a great difficulty so that doesn't make much of a strong A Level.

Bah I would have taken something like Law now if i'd known..!

Ahh well, happy college people! =D

this thread is about 5 months old!

also, im not an expert on the subject but some of the unis will not like chem, bio and PE because bio and PE overlap which could become a problem

Quick Reply