The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *pitseleh*
Just to add to what Democracy said - Medicine is a university degree like any other (in this respect, at least). From the way you worded your question, it sounds as though perhaps you're under the impression that there's some special way of applying for Medicine, but, as has been said you just apply through UCAS like you would for any other degree (albeit that Medicine has an earlier deadline).

Thank you and also to Democracy for answering my query. I was aware it was like applying for any other university course but I was always told medicine applications need to be done a year early compared to other courses??? It seems then that the people i have been talking to are probably mis-informed and they really mean to say it is merely a difference of a couple of months :|

So thank you for clearing that up, I am in year 10 and doing my exams at the moment for GCSE, I am aplying for February for work experience at my local hospital.

Thanks all!
Sam
Original post by cathasatail
Thank you and also to Democracy for answering my query. I was aware it was like applying for any other university course but I was always told medicine applications need to be done a year early compared to other courses??? It seems then that the people i have been talking to are probably mis-informed and they really mean to say it is merely a difference of a couple of months :|

So thank you for clearing that up, I am in year 10 and doing my exams at the moment for GCSE, I am aplying for February for work experience at my local hospital.

Thanks all!
Sam

You're welcome. And yes - Medicine does have an early application deadline (along with Oxford and Cambridge applications and - I think - Dentistry and possibly Vet Med) but 'early' in the sense that you have to apply by mid-October of Year 13 instead of the end of January. So, as you say, it's only a few months' difference and the people you've been talking to are misinformed. Hope that clears things up. Good luck with your GCSEs! :smile:
I understand that Barts use a ranking system so they'd like more A-levels to be done.
Does the point system include AS-levels too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cathasatail

Thanks all!
Sam

They could be referring to the fact that as work experience and long-term voluntary work is so important to medicine, that you need to be sorting your application out a year early. At least.

Probably not though.
Original post by nexttime
They could be referring to the fact that as work experience and long-term voluntary work is so important to medicine, that you need to be sorting your application out a year early. At least.

Probably not though.

For this year's application I spent the best part of ten months preparing an application and that was with a lot of work experience. I ended up with two interviews and one offer.

There's no fool proof method of approaching an application but it's best to start early. In my opinion if it comes to August and you still haven't done a first draft statement then you have a problem. Then again it could be perfect :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone suggest any books to me that will impress the universities in my u as application?
Original post by Xoxoxo1234567
Can someone suggest any books to me that will impress the universities in my u as application?

Literally none. Read what you like, not what you think will look impressive. There are some suggestions here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Applications_Further_Reading#Some_other_books
I am told that some percent of people get transferred to medicine if you ge a top 5-10 scores in the fisrt year of biomedical sciences.

What if you are not?

What do you the need to do get into medicine? What options are left with you?

What is GAMSAT?

When do you do GAMSAT/UKCAT etc ?? What do you do after that? I am totally blank at this. Please help

Thanks
Nomita
Original post by nomita
I am told that some percent of people get transferred to medicine if you ge a top 5-10 scores in the fisrt year of biomedical sciences.

This only happens at certain universities and is a rare occurrence - not something you can bank on by any means. Prepare to see your degree out to the end: see below:

What if you are not?

Continue and apply for graduate entry medicine in your third year.

What do you the need to do get into medicine? What options are left with you?

What is GAMSAT?

When do you do GAMSAT/UKCAT etc ?? What do you do after that? I am totally blank at this. Please help

Thanks
Nomita

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide
I'm already doing voluntary work at the hospital and at a charity shop.nwhat else can I do?
Grades you got.
I'm already doing voluntary work at the hospital and at a charity shop.nwhat else can I do?

Shadowing one or more doctors for a short period of time.

Also:

'Top-notch Googling skills'.
Original post by Luigishouse
Grades you got.

Haven't got grades yet. Hoping for 3As
Original post by Ronove
Shadowing one or more doctors for a short period of time.

Also:

'Top-notch Googling skills'.

Anything else apart from shadowing. I don't think I'd be able to get into shadowing. I called the local GPs and they have like 1year waiting list
Wrong thread edit
(edited 8 years ago)
Anything else apart from shadowing. I don't think I'd be able to get into shadowing. I called the local GPs and they have like 1year waiting list

Call other GPs, and call hospitals. Email if this doesn't work. GPs aren't the only kind of doctor and the GP most local to you may be unwilling to let you sit in anyway in case you know half the patients that turn up.
Original post by Ronove
Call other GPs, and call hospitals. Email if this doesn't work. GPs aren't the only kind of doctor and the GP most local to you may be unwilling to let you sit in anyway in case you know half the patients that turn up.

Yeah I still find trouble ive called every gp surgery in my city they've all said no and I live in a huge city but I am volunteering in a hospital and have a doctor that works in research controlling what I do but hoping in a few months she can give me a contact to a doctor seeing patients and allow me to shadow them for a day or two a week. It's trying the best you can data protection is a huge issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vickie89uk
Wrong thread edit

What do you mean?
Original post by Democracy
This only happens at certain universities and is a rare occurrence - not something you can bank on by any means. Prepare to see your degree out to the end: see below:

Continue and apply for graduate entry medicine in your third year.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/graduate_entry_medicine_-_a_guide

Thanks very much

Now I am in dilemma: Is it better to take a gap year and then try for Medicine or do Biomedical Sciences (waste 3 years and money ) and then try for Medicine. I really can't judge. What would you do in such a situation

Thanks
Nomita
Original post by nomita
Thanks very much

Now I am in dilemma: Is it better to take a gap year and then try for Medicine or do Biomedical Sciences (waste 3 years and money ) and then try for Medicine. I really can't judge. What would you do in such a situation

Thanks
Nomita

Definitely take a gap year if you have AAA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending