The Student Room Group

........Should the law allow B&B owners to turn away Gay couples?

This particular can of beans has been weaving in and out of the news...Does anybody here agree with the B&B owners ? If so, why?
Considering the country runs on a Biblical law is it right to pass a law? Is the biblical law just not with the times anymore does there need to be a more representative justice system?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If they don't want to open a business to everyone, they should not open it to anyone. All people are equal, so all people should be able to use the B&B. That said, god knows who would want to sleep in a B&B owned by a pair of discriminatory people.
Reply 2
grape:)
If they don't want to open a business to everyone, they should not open it to anyone.

Do you think they should let a paedo check in there with a 3 yr old kid?

What about a serial killer?

Someone who raped their daughter a few years ago?

A man who has been known to set fire to B&B's for fun?

I imagine that you would answer "no" to all of those, so we have to ask, what criteria do we consider permissable to discriminate upon? In this day and age, homosexuality is not widely accepted as one such criteria. Various others are seen as acceptable, such as those above.

I don't agree that just because someone is running a business they are obliged to cater to any and all clients that come their way. It's not some kind of charity, businesses can refuse custom for any reason or no reason at all. It's a two-way thing, people can choose to stay at whichever B&B they like, and B&B owners should be able to refuse admission to people if they feel like it.

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]All people are equal

In what sense?
No. Religion should not be an excuse to discriminate, and it doesn't make prejudices suddenly ok.
Reply 4
janeAUSTENgirl
This particular can of beans has been weaving in and out of the news...Does anybody here agree with the B&B owners ? If so, why?
Considering the country runs on a Biblical law is it right to pass a law? Is the biblical law just not with the times anymore does there need to be a more representative justice system?

1. Not all B&B owners turn away gay people.

2. I'm getting the impression that you think that the law allows B&B owners to turn away gay couples. Is this what you think?
ciawhobat

Because a homosexual is comparable to criminals?
Reply 6
no because it is discrimination based on sexual oreintation
If they don't want to let gay people in then fine, but I think they should advertise their B&B as strictly no gay people so that everyone knows what kind of B&B they are, and see how well their business flourishes.

ciawhobat

Excuse me, but why are you comparing gay people to criminals? I really don't see the similarity. There's no danger in allowing someone who's gay into a B&B, I think the person before meant we're all equal (those who are law abiding) I.e it doesn't matter where you are from, what your skin colour is, your sexual orientation, your gender.
It should be a moral issue not a legal or political one. It's wrong for them to turn away a gay couple but I don't believe that it should be against the law. If my partner and I were turned away I'd be livid but I wouldn't feel like I had a legal right to stay there.
Reply 9
ciawhobat

A man who has been known to set fire to B&B's for fun
?

They would not know about the two in Italics, that said, if they did and they had served their sentence for it, they legally would not be able to discriminate.

The two in bold are criminals, why are you comparing homosexuals to criminals?

Also, that said, if they had served their sentence, then there is no reason to discriminate. Tesco would still serve them, and so should a B&B.
I think people should be able to admit whatever guests they want into their businesses, not that I agree with their opinions, however it should be advertised as previously suggested.
Reply 11
ciawhobat

I imagine that you would answer "no" to all of those, so we have to ask, what criteria do we consider permissable to discriminate upon? In this day and age, homosexuality is not widely accepted as one such criteria. Various others are seen as acceptable, such as those above.

I don't agree that just because someone is running a business they are obliged to cater to any and all clients that come their way. It's not some kind of charity, businesses can refuse custom for any reason or no reason at all. It's a two-way thing, people can choose to stay at whichever B&B they like, and B&B owners should be able to refuse admission to people if they feel like it.

In what sense?

You changed your post, but see my original reply. All people are equal, in that if we start inspecting people's criminal records, their sexuality and their past huge divisions in our society would appear. What you're describing is essentially discrimination, something I would never agree with.
I think it is up to the B&B owners to decide who they want to turn away and who they don't. After all, it's their loss if they do turn anyone away.

I don't think the law should be involved with this, as I believe the legal issues should be separate from moral issues.
janeAUSTENgirl

I think that they should have a 'right to refuse custom' to anyone, seeing as it is their home and their business. If it were a large chain of B&Bs that refused to allow gay couples up and down the country then the **** could hit then fan. But I think the couple have a right to allow who they want to into their home.
Reply 14
I fail to see the problem, they have the right to turn away whoever the **** they like, surely? It is our freedom of choice, after all.
missygeorgia
Because a homosexual is comparable to criminals?

What? I was asking a question, not drawing a comparison. The user said that basically anyone should be allowed to stay, and I gave examples of people who I'm quite sure they would agree should NOT have to be allowed to stay. It's nothing to do with "comparing" gays to those other kinds of people.

katebushfan
Excuse me, but why are you comparing gay people to criminals? I really don't see the similarity.

See above.

katebushfan
There's no danger in allowing someone who's gay into a B&B

It depends what you consider dangerous/wrong.

katebushfan

, I think the person before meant we're all equal (those who are law abiding)

Equal in what sense? And what level of criminality must be displayed before someone fits into the other category of "LOL not equal"? Speeding in a car? Shoplifted a chocolate bar? Killed someone?

katebushfan

I.e it doesn't matter where you are from, what your skin colour is, your sexual orientation, your gender.

It matters to many people. This is not some kind of objective and absolute thing, you know. Different times and different regions see widely different views on the matter - to think that your particular 2010 opinion is "right" is cosmically absurd.
ciawhobat

Wow. Honestly, I had no idea gay = criminal. You've opened my eyes. Thank you!

Moron.
Baz1990
no because it is discrimination based on sexual oreintation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautology
Reply 18
janeAUSTENgirl

No, I don't agree with them. (Shock horror! Betcha didn't see that one coming... :p:) They're running a public business. They can't just discriminate on the grounds that two people are gay and that they "don't agree with it". Replace "gay" with "black" and (most) people would instantly agree that it's wrong to discriminate on the basis of the colour of your skin. In the end, whether you're discriminating against anyone - regardless of what it's for; it's wrong.

I used to work for Currys and I don't agree with the way the state finances bone idle scum that sit on benefits for their entire life because, for them, it works out better financially than getting a job, but I still served them with a smile when they came in and bought a big LCD TV that I wanted but couldn't afford.

As for the second point, despite the fact that ~70% of Britons identify as being "Christian", far FAR less actually practise their religion. We're an increasingly secular, multicultural country and I think that our legal system needs to reform along with it. Religion has no place in politics, IMO.
Reply 19
I think we've had this discussion. But the answer is no the law does not, and should never again allow people to discriminate on anyone due to their sex, race, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability when running a business.

If people can't handle that then they shouldn't be running a business. They obviously aren't cut out for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending