The Student Room Group

How many GCSEs is 'normal'?

All the people I've asked (which isn't a lot, tbh) say they'll be getting around the region for 14 GCSEs (if they pass all of them...which they probably will) and this has started to get me worried because at the moment, I'm doing 12 and there's a chance I may fail 1 or 2 of them (coursework grades will bring me down) so I may end up with 10 or so.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many GCSEs is the average amount that someone has/should have?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know that its lower than what I did. I think 10 might be about average. I did 13 but that was due to doing a triple science course so I had 4 science GCSE's:core, biology, physics and a chemistry. People thought at first I was lying about the number that I did but I wasnt. It might even be less than 10 not sure.
Reply 2
I only do 9 + a compulsory btec in PE + that silly ICT DiDa thing. I feel like a failure... :smile:
on tsr - mid twenties.
outside tsr - 9 or 10
Reply 4
C-Pizzayne
All the people I've asked (which isn't a lot, tbh) say they'll be getting around the region for 14 GCSEs (if they pass all of them...which they probably will) and this has started to get me worried because at the moment, I'm doing 12 and there's a chance I may fail 1 or 2 of them (coursework grades will bring me down) so I may end up with 10 or so.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many GCSEs is the average amount that someone has/should have?

I did 15 and that was considered a lot in my area. Most people in my school did 13 or under.

A lot of other schools do about 10.
Reply 5
I did eleven. I don't think there is a set safe number, but it's not something that you should worry about. Just try and do well in the ones you're sitting! :smile:
Reply 6
reading the other replies, I really feel stupid. >.> I blame my school though, it's only my set that are doing 9 aswell, everyone else is doing 8 or 7.. D:
Back in my day, 8 to 10 GCSEs was roughly the norm, hence most colleges asked for between 5 - 7 A* to C grades so there was a bit of leeway for people to fail one or two and still go on to A-Levels. 13+ GCSEs sounds like a huge amount of needless pressure unless you're a super-genius or they've become easier. You're not really going to need that many for college or uni unless things have changed dramatically since I took mine.
Reply 8
I would say 7-9 is proper normal for the general public. I did 7 full GCSEs and 1 1/2 shortcourses and that was good for my school because only the people in top classes got to do shortcourses in Humanities subjects.
On TSR/amoung snobby people it seems 10++ is the way to. I wish I had the oppuntunity to do this many.
9 or 10 is the normal but then you do get people that take 15.
Reply 10
Our school took 7 but I have never had a problem with the number I had. Maybe if i applied to Oxford they would laugh but apart from that I believe grades are more important.
I did 11, I would say the average is somewhere between 9-11, but it's mostly down to the school rather than the ability of the individual.
Reply 12
I'd say 10 is around average.

I personally got 13 but 3 subjects were short courses, so it's technically 11 and a half, but on my CV/UCAS etc it's registered as 13 different subjects.
Twelve for me (eleven completed in school and another award completed outside school which is equivalent to one GCSE). I'd say around seven to ten is average?
DJ AgnieszkaA
on tsr - mid twenties.
outside tsr - 9 or 10

ahah.
i would say 9-11 is average, but ocasionally you do get people who get 16 or 17
Reply 15
I only did 10! People seriously do like 15? I feel like such a failure! Ha ha. Oh well it doesn't seem to of hindered me dramatically in any way.

I think most places want you have at least 5 GCSE A*-C grades including maths, science and English. At least that is what was considered 'acceptable' when I did my GCSEs.
Reply 16
I did ten.
Reply 17
Around eight for your average student. On here it's a lot higher, though.
Reply 18
I did 8. Achieved 6. So now I feel very stupid :smile:
I'm doing 9, never had the oppotunity to do more. There are a couple of people in my year doing 10. And the year below are all doing more because they didn't have to do SATs in yr 9 so they started their GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest