The Student Room Group

GCSE options Computer Science vs Spanish vs Business

Hi guys,I am now in Year 9 and had to pick my options before March.I got 2 options outsides the core subjects and was struggling between Computer Science (OCR J277), Spanish (AQA) and Business (OCR).I have recently been to Parent’s evening and before that I was pretty sure I would pick Spanish+Business.However I was persuaded by different teachers to pick Computer Science instead of Business as it’s more useful for university and it suits me more than business does.
I am really hoping to get straight 9s from gcse so I thought Business would be an easier subject to achieve it.Now I am a bit leaning on computer science + Spanish/Business.Computing and Spanish seems to be more useful for future but harder to achieve top grades .

Is Business really easier to get a 9 ?Does University value Computing and languages more? Does Ebacc really matters? Which two subjects would you recommend picking?

P.s. I am doing Cantonese gcse as additional language too

Anyone have done any of these subjects give me some advise please 🙏🏻Thanks a lot.
Reply 1
Hi there, I'm in year 10 and I take comp sci, econ, music and french (+ core subjects). Comp sci isn't that difficult in my experience and if you enjoy it, it would be good to take. I think taking comp sci and business together would be really useful, considering that in the future many companies will use technology and it would be good to have some knowledge in it. I would recommend doing comp sci and business

It's really up to you though, spanish is also a good option and many people in my school take it. Just keep in mind that languages have a lot of workload so taking both Cantonese and spanish might take up some of your time. It's manageable though, so if you really love Spanish then go for it!

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good luck choosing your options!
Reply 2
Original post by baldilocks
Hi there, I'm in year 10 and I take comp sci, econ, music and french (+ core subjects). Comp sci isn't that difficult in my experience and if you enjoy it, it would be good to take. I think taking comp sci and business together would be really useful, considering that in the future many companies will use technology and it would be good to have some knowledge in it. I would recommend doing comp sci and business

It's really up to you though, spanish is also a good option and many people in my school take it. Just keep in mind that languages have a lot of workload so taking both Cantonese and spanish might take up some of your time. It's manageable though, so if you really love Spanish then go for it!

Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Good luck choosing your options!

Thanks!
I’m pretty sure I am going Computer Science now.However I’m still struggling to choose between Spanish and Business tho 🫠Which one do you think it’s more useful Language or Business?Can you actually communicate with a native after gcse?
Reply 3
Original post by Katrinacwk
Thanks!
I’m pretty sure I am going Computer Science now.However I’m still struggling to choose between Spanish and Business tho 🫠Which one do you think it’s more useful Language or Business?Can you actually communicate with a native after gcse?

It kind of depends on what you want. Both are good options... 🙌

Business studies is useful if you want to start your own company/business and know how to make a profit, advertise, hire staff etc - econ is different in the sense that it is more theory-based and about how the market works. Spanish is also good considering that many employers look for people who can communicate in more than one language (you would have to be able to speak fluently, though)

To answer your second question, taking gcse Spanish would allow you to have simple, daily conversations with a native speaker - such as what you like to do, what your dreams are etc. - but unless you're planning to take A-level Spanish plus a lot of dedication, you probably wouldn't be able to communicate like a native. But if normal, daily conversations are what you want, then you'll be able to achieve that!

It really is your choice. If I were you I would take business but please make your own decision 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest