The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ucl chances for bsc economics

Hey so I just want to know everyone’s opinion on my chances on getting into UCL. So my gcse grades aren’t good which is my fault since I just didn’t try for them as I had no clue what I wanted to do. So I got 777776655 (Ik pretty shambolic and Ik I could have got 9’s etc had I revised).
Anyways I got to sixth form and for some reason started to pay real attention and now I’ve applied with A*,A*,A* in maths, economics and psychology. I should’ve also probably have done further maths as not to sound cocky or anything but I find the concepts in a level maths pretty easy and normally get really high marks in the year but I just wasn’t taking sixth form so seriously at the start till half way till year 12 where I was really interested in studying economics at UCL.
Now to stop me ranting I want to know your guys’s opinion on my chances at getting into UCL. I also do have a pretty strong personal statement imo and have participated in numerous economic competitions such as the RES young economist of the year essay competition, I’m also taking further maths as AS this year but I don’t have any predicted for it but I have mentioned it in my personal statement. Anyways let me stop rambling on, please let me know your opinion on my chances in getting into UCL
(edited 4 months ago)
Your GCSE's will hurt your chances. Also not having further maths when your sixth form offers it isn't ideal. If I'm to be honest, your chances aren't the best.
However, you have 5 choices so as long as they are balanced and UCL is your top choice, I don't see why you couldn't apply. You can get in with your predicted grades and personal statement.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by ConfusedLoLL
Hey so I just want to know everyone’s opinion on my chances on getting into UCL. So my gcse grades aren’t good which is my fault since I just didn’t try for them as I had no clue what I wanted to do. So I got 777776655 (Ik pretty shambolic and Ik I could have got 9’s etc had I revised).
Anyways I got to sixth form and for some reason started to pay real attention and now I’ve applied with A*,A*,A* in maths, economics and psychology. I should’ve also probably have done further maths as not to sound cocky or anything but I find the concepts in a level maths pretty easy and normally get really high marks in the year but I just wasn’t taking sixth form so seriously at the start till half way till year 12 where I was really interested in studying economics at UCL.
Now to stop me ranting I want to know your guys’s opinion on my chances at getting into UCL. I also do have a pretty strong personal statement imo and have participated in numerous economic competitions such as the RES young economist of the year essay competition, I’m also taking further maths as AS this year but I don’t have any predicted for it but I have mentioned it in my personal statement. Anyways let me stop rambling on, please let me know your opinion on my chances in getting into UCL

UCL don't ask for further maths A-level, nor do they demand a strong set of GCSE - both unlike LSE.

No-one here can accurately predict your chances, but you have no reason not to apply.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Your GCSE's will hurt your chances. Also not having further maths when your sixth form offers it isn't ideal. If I'm to be honest, your chances aren't the best.
However, you have 5 choices so as long as they are balanced and UCL is your top choice, I don't see why you couldn't apply. You can get in with your predicted grades and personal statement.

Right thanks I just had heard gcse’s don’t matter as much at UCL and nor does further maths but I guess for a competitive course like economics they would.
Maybe I can somehow get away with the gcse’s as my secondary normally performs pretty bad at them
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
UCL don't ask for further maths A-level, nor do they demand a strong set of GCSE - both unlike LSE.

No-one here can accurately predict your chances, but you have no reason not to apply.

Thanks yeah I guess it’s just 50/50 since I meet the requirements and I guess have strong a level predictions. I also looked at like the stats for how many people get in without further maths and there’s a considerable amount
Reply 5
Original post by ConfusedLoLL
Thanks yeah I guess it’s just 50/50 since I meet the requirements and I guess have strong a level predictions. I also looked at like the stats for how many people get in without further maths and there’s a considerable amount

...and a lot of that will be correlation rather than causation i.e lots of applicants to top econ course like UCL will have FM, but does not mean that they got in because they had FM. UCL does not require it for econ, nor does it say that it is highly desirable etc.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lalexm
...and a lot of that will be correlation rather than causation i.e lots of applicants to top econ course like UCL will have FM, but does not mean that they got in because they had FM. UCL does not require it fro econ, not does it say that it is highly desirable etc.

Yeah i feel it isn’t as needed compared to other uni’s like LSE but it probably does help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending