The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

When you graduate, your name changes from e.g. "Mr. John Smith" to "John Smith, MPhys DUNELM", assuming that you did an MPhys.
At other unis, that aren't Durham, Oxford or Cambridge, you just get BA (or whatever) after your name. Cambridge has "CANTAB"and Oxford "OXON". There may be a couple of others, but I don't know of any.
HOWEVER, Since the university stopped awarding masters degrees automatically 7 years after matriculation (as still happens at Oxbridge) in the 1950's, the Dunelm suffix may be unnecessary, as the "Cantab" and "Oxon" differentiate between an MA gained as a higher degree through further study(under the London degree system), and an MA gained under the old, OxBridge system, which was supposed to show that the graduate had now become a "Magister Artium", or Master of [his] Art.
Probably more information than you really needed to know...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Mattmoy_2000
When you graduate, your name changes from e.g. "Mr. John Smith" to "John Smith, MPhys DUNELM", assuming that you did an MPhys.
At other unis, that aren't Durham, Oxford or Cambridge, you just get BA (or whatever) after your name. Cambridge has "CANTAB"and Oxford "OXON". There may be a couple of others, but I don't know of any.
HOWEVER, Since the university stopped awarding masters degrees automatically 7 years after matriculation (as still happens at Oxbridge) in the 1950's, the Dunelm suffix may be unnecessary, as the "Cantab" and "Oxon" differentiate between an MA gained as a higher degree through further study(under the London degree system), and an MA gained under the old, OxBridge system, which was supposed to show that the graduate had now become a "Magister Artium", or Master of [his] Art.
Probably more information than you really needed to know...

Although I do now feel suitably enlightened

Latest