The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews vs Cambridge psychology

I have offers from both St Andrews and Cambridge but I'm struggling to choose between them because I really don't like my Cambridge College (I was pooled) and I can find almost nothing positive about the college online. One thing is that Cambridge would probably set me up for life (in terms of jobs) and I was wondering what job prospects are like for St Andrews graduates and if it really would be any worse?

Also does anyone have other advice for helping me decide?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have offers from both St Andrews and Cambridge but I'm struggling to choose between them because I really don't like my Cambridge College (I was pooled) and I can find almost nothing positive about the college online. One thing is that Cambridge would probably set me up for life (in terms of jobs) and I was wondering what job prospects are like for St Andrews graduates and if it really would be any worse?

i'm a St Andrews graduate but i still say choose Cambridge. even if you got Trinity or Kings College your faculty buildings will be ugly and your halls will be ugly.

what college did you get?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
murray edwards (girls only)

Why do you reccomend choosing Cambridge?

because i've found that everything in life is slightly underwhelming (even the Sistine Chapel FYI) so even if you got your dream college things wouldn't be as perfect as you'd expect - particularly as a science student you'd spend most time in Cambridge's horrible faculty buildings and halls, and therefore not getting into your preferred college is not that important!

i speak as a uni snob who would feel the exact same as you about Murray Edwards. also just as an observation, it doesn't feel very Oxbridgey but still a really cool building architecturally

FYI I did 1/3 Psychology in my first year at St Andrews if you have any questions 🙂
I see the point of the above commentor, but I just want to say that I doubt that the job prospects will be significantly dimmer if you choose St Andrews. It is currently ranked number 1 in the UK by two different rankings - even above Oxbridge. It's a different story if you don't intend to stay in the UK, though. It does not do so well internationally as it is a small university and thus doesn't have the worldwide reputation of Oxbridge. So, I would say that it depends on your career plans.

Medwards is a fantastic college with fantastic women. Also the women-only status is nonsense as many girls have their bfs in College most of the time.

I would encourage you to stick with Cambridge. If you don't like it after your graduation, message me and I will take you to the best restaurant of your choice for free.
Reply 6

Hey I also got pooled to Murray edwards from my original choice (Clare). I’m planning on studying history so was pretty disappointed by the lack of medieval architecture at medwards. But yeah I totally get how you feel. Hopefully the course will be super interesting and beneficial for our future job opportunities 🙂
Does the college really matter? How much of your time will you be spending there if it doesn't provide accommodation?
Reply 8
Original post by Sherpa
Hey I also got pooled to Murray edwards from my original choice (Clare). I’m planning on studying history so was pretty disappointed by the lack of medieval architecture at medwards. But yeah I totally get how you feel. Hopefully the course will be super interesting and beneficial for our future job opportunities 🙂

It’s somewhat relieving to know I’m not the only one whose a quite disappointed ahaha
Do you plan to accept your offer?
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous #2
Does the college really matter? How much of your time will you be spending there if it doesn't provide accommodation?

I’m pretty sure it would be my accommodation… so lots of time
Am I reading this right ... people apply to Cambridge because they like the architecture more than they like the course on offer there?
Original post by SilverPebble
Am I reading this right ... people apply to Cambridge because they like the architecture more than they like the course on offer there?

yeh come on man, the world runs on aesthetics
Reply 12
Original post by SilverPebble

Obviously we love the course, it’s just that it’s a big shock to be pooled to an all girls brutalist building when it is so different to all the others that you dreamt about. I fell in love with both the architecture and the course and now that one of those has been ruined, it’s natural to be disappointed
Obviously we love the course, it’s just that it’s a big shock to be pooled to an all girls brutalist building when it is so different to all the others that you dreamt about. I fell in love with both the architecture and the course and now that one of those has been ruined, it’s natural to be disappointed

Could you possibly defer entry? To either, it doesn't matter. Just to get a bit of perspective on priorities in life? I do think a gap year in which you see a bit of the wider world would significantly give you a less rose-tinted view on your dreams and heartaches.
NGL but only a complete moron would decline Cambridge for St Andrews and even then a completely moronic move to do so because of your college choice. This is part and parcel of the risk of applying to Oxford or Cambridge in that you may not always get into your first-choice college but if you are good enough you will receive an offer. Don't forget you will still come out with a Cambrdige degree and be educated by the same academics at the departmental level.

If you think that's shocking then you really haven't experienced many shocks in life.

Imagine being unhappy receiving an offer from Cambridge when others would have chopped off their right arm for an offer.
Original post by Anonymous #3
If you think that's shocking then you really haven't experienced many shocks in life.

Imagine being unhappy receiving an offer from Cambridge when others would have chopped off their right arm for an offer.

100%.
I mean genuine shocks in life:

Being told you have a life-changing or terminal illness.

Being told a parent or sibling has passed away unexpectedly.

Being electrocuted.

Being exposed to a genuinely horrific situation.

Getting AN OFFER from a CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY college that wasn't your first-choice isn't a shock. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of times you get these posts saying "I got an offer from Oxford or Cambridge but I want to decline it to go to Sheffield or Liverpool to have a better time and go clubbing on the weekend" or, "should I decline my offer from St Anne's College Oxford and go to University College Durham instead" etc etc.

If the only reason you applied to Cambridge for was the architecture then honestly that's a really stupid reason. I'll admit the college I ultimately ended up at wasn't my first choice but I got in, made the most of it and crucially, thrived on my academic programme and graduated with a good result. You are first and foremost at Cambridge to study and get your degree. Yes you're there to have a good time as well but your college whilst an important part of your experience is not the defining aspect of it. You can still interact with students across the university and join a plethora of clubs and societies, and invite friends over to college etc. In fairness it could be argued that Medwards' and Newnham's days as single-sex colleges are numbered. Being being at an all-girls college isn't going to damage your Cambridge experience. As someone who graduated from a "non-traditional" Cambridge college, it absolutely had no bearing on how much I got out of my experience.

If your priorities in life revolve around college architecture and not getting into your first-choice college is a "shock" to the system then honestly you have a lot to learn in life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending