The Student Room Group

into Medicine with BTEC Medical Science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hi have got the same problem a her am studying btec applied science i i don't really know what university accept btec i was wondering if u can help me i will be so pleased:smile:
Reply 21
Original post by valentin_a
hi have got the same problem a her am studying btec applied science i i don't really know what university accept btec i was wondering if u can help me i will be so pleased:smile:

It should tell you under 'entry requirements' for each individual medical course on UCAS if you just search there. :smile:
BTEC MED :biggrin:
Enjoy it, I'm just finishing mine off now, one month then I'm done.

As a biology enthusiast and someone who did Biology Chemistry and Drama for a year before changing to Med Science I found it to be the most engaging, comprehensive time I've ever spent in Education.

Just a bit of info you might need on the course; It consists of Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Physics (Medical Physics Techniques, + maybe Material Science like I did) Electronics, Informatics and Fundamentals of Science (Very similar to AS Science in Society)
These are very broad titles and they all have sections and sub-sections but I hope this has made you look forward to it. I've done very well in it and I got a distinction in every unit last year and have accepted Surrey as my first choice.

BTEC teaches you so many things that A-Levels could never hope to such as time management, applied information (everything you do will have a real industrial application that you are likely to come across), practical content (I had around 7x more practicals than I did in A-Levels) and the fact that it is quite similar to university. It also rewards you in a linear fashion. The effort you put in is what you get out as opposed to the effort you put into revision is what the examiner says you get when you didn't use a keyword.

I'm just writing this so you don't let people like Chris King (stuck in the dark ages) demoralize you, my old biology teacher told me I'd never get anywhere with a BTEC when I said I was leaving. She was wrong, I feel like I can do anything :smile:.

Best of luck deciding, and have a great time on your course.
Original post by valentin_a

Hello, I was accepted in Portsmouth, Brunel, Brighton and Surrey, according to Kings College I met the academic requirements but it was a competitive course (whatever they mean :tongue: )

All of these accept BTEC so hope that's a good start.
Oxford may still be accepting BTEC (probably in combination with A-Levels and an exemplary record of kicking education's butt).

Good luck applying.
Reply 24
email all the unis asking whether they take it and what their requirement for it is if they do
Reply 25
Original post by LeTypingSquid
Hello, I was accepted in Portsmouth, Brunel, Brighton and Surrey, according to Kings College I met the academic requirements but it was a competitive course (whatever they mean :tongue: )

All of these accept BTEC so hope that's a good start.
Oxford may still be accepting BTEC (probably in combination with A-Levels and an exemplary record of kicking education's butt).

Good luck applying.

I'm guessing you're not talking about being accepted for medicine though...
Original post by Helenia
I'm guessing you're not talking about being accepted for medicine though...

Hi,

Got a carried away, no I didn't apply for medicine however two people in my class were accepted (one at Cardiff) and sat entrance exams.
Hey i didnt even know you can get into med with btecs. I am doing applied science as well and a level chemistry. I missed the deadline so what do you think i should do because you said not to do biomed and then med and i was going to do that and then just apply somewhere else for med like you did but i dont know now so plz help!!
Reply 28
Original post by Azamjwadair
Hey i didnt even know you can get into med with btecs. I am doing applied science as well and a level chemistry. I missed the deadline so what do you think i should do because you said not to do biomed and then med and i was going to do that and then just apply somewhere else for med like you did but i dont know now so plz help!!

This thread is 6 years old, and the last reply was three years ago. You'd be better off starting a new one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending