The Student Room Group

Medicine degree

I have been offered extended btech science equivalent to 3 A levels can I do medicine with that and which universities? Also if I do private Chemistry distance learning with these A levels,
is that acceptable?
(edited 3 years ago)
I think it would be acceptable for some medicine with a foundation/gateway year degrees, at UEA, Keele and Plymouth, and possibly others? Have a look here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5194910 However, you will need to meet other entry requirements (WP, GCSEs, etc), and 3 A levels will always be a better option if it's available to you for medicine, as you'll have access to all standard undergraduate courses. Realistically, you should do 3 A levels if you possibly can.

@GANFYD and might be able to advise further/in more detail and correct me if I'm wrong :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you, so doing privately a separate A level will not be of any advantage ?
Original post by I.mate
Thank you, so doing privately a separate A level will not be of any advantage ?

I’m really not sure, but I don’t think so, as A level offers would be based on 3 A levels? So just having one doesn’t really help, AFAIK.
Reply 4
I meant to say an extra A level with the btech and maths A level
A BTech is not the same as BTEC - the former is a degree programme in India, the latter is a school leaving qualification in the UK.

That aside, some medical schools may consider a combination of BTEC and A-levels, but they will probably expect you to meet certain specific A-level criteria alongside that BTEC (e.g. to get an A or A* in A-level Chemistry or Biology and another science, depending on the specific medical school). You may find your range of options very much limited if you do a BTEC (with or without A-levels), and it may make your application less competitive (as the BTEC may not be as good an indicator of success on a medical degree).

has made a thread regarding medicine entry criteria here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422 which includes a document outlining the entry criteria for all current UK medical schools. That may have some information about the acceptability of BTECs. He might also be able to advise specifically on the matter? Generally speaking though, I think it's going to be at best an unlikely long shot if you aren't taking a standard programme of A-levels over two years...
Original post by I.mate
I meant to say an extra A level with the btech and maths A level

If you can do 2 A levels and a BTEC (which some courses might accept?? I don't know, google is showing only foundation year med and I'm not trawling every med school website, although you could!), why not just do 3 A levels and no BTEC, which all med schools accept? I'm hoping one of the experienced posters turns up, as has now been tagged thrice :tongue:, but I really doubt you're eligible for standard undergraduate medicine without 3 A levels/Scottish Highers/Pre Us/IB/equivalent foreign qualifications, which BTECs aren't.

If you meant the Indian degree all along, apologies :smile:

edit: Plymouth seems like it will accept BTEC but you have to sit the GAMSAT (https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/bmbs-bachelor-of-medicine-bachelor-of-surgery), UEA and KMMS don't. (they seemed like likely candidates)
Reply 7
Unfortunately I do not meet entry requirement for A level sciences, so I am offered btec extended science diploma which is equivalent to 3 A levels. I really want to do medicine but it is difficult to understand which way to go. Another college has offered me A level math, english and psychology but I am sure that these subjects will not let me into medicine degree. So any advice would be appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by I.mate
Unfortunately I do not meet entry requirement for A level sciences do I am offered btec extended which is equivalent to 3 A levels. I really want to do medicine but it understanding which way to go. Another college has offered me A level math, english and psychology but I am sure that these subjects will not let me into medicine degree. So any advice would be appreciated.

Would you consider taking GCSE resits so you can study science A levels? Most med schools are fine with GCSE resits.

Those A levels would only work for Newcastle (which has no A level requirements), so yeah, you're right it wouldn't really be a solution. You really need to study one of at Bio or Chem (Bio + Psych/Maths + Eng would work, if the other college would let you start bio?) Also, having very poor science GCSEs/GCSEs in general is likely to be an issue for medicine too, I'm afraid...
Reply 9
Thank you so much that really helps. Will look into resits.
Reply 10
Hi, I’m in the same boat as you. Doing BTECs (yr 12 atm).

I’ve applied to a medical school in Europe.
It’s GMC approved, and they accept your BTEC qualifications. Probably something you can look into.
Original post by _debt
Hi, I’m in the same boat as you. Doing BTECs (yr 12 atm).

I’ve applied to a medical school in Europe.
It’s GMC approved, and they accept your BTEC qualifications. Probably something you can look into.

one of my friends does btech level 3 she applied for medicine in bulgaria thru this agency and she got accepted whilst im here stuck with doing a levels which r draining the life out of me and still leaving me nothing but with a huge load of uncertainty of whether i will get the 3 As or not to do medicine i swear getting into med skwl in the uk is one of the hardest thing ever..its messing with my mental health now i feel like ****
Reply 12
Guys If you study Level 3 applied science extended diploma you could be accept into 6 medical schools in the Uk. I want to study medicine however I don't fit the entry requirements. Im in year 12 and my teachers fooled me into choosing the wrong applied science. I am currently study applied science extended certificate along two alevels (business studies and computer science). I wish that i could pick level 3 applied science extended diploma however I will have to wait until year 13 (2021 september). That means if I dropout of year 12, I will have to study another 2 years at college, then do 6 years for medicine (5+1 including foundation year) so by the time i complete my degree I will be 25 but remember to become a gp doctor you would need to complete extra 3 years on top so i would be 28. If anyone know any way of me avoiding dropping out of year 12 and carrying on into year 13 with extended certificate and two a levels so that i can get into med school reply.
Original post by Als_mo1
Guys If you study Level 3 applied science extended diploma you could be accept into 6 medical schools in the Uk. I want to study medicine however I don't fit the entry requirements. Im in year 12 and my teachers fooled me into choosing the wrong applied science. I am currently study applied science extended certificate along two alevels (business studies and computer science). I wish that i could pick level 3 applied science extended diploma however I will have to wait until year 13 (2021 september). That means if I dropout of year 12, I will have to study another 2 years at college, then do 6 years for medicine (5+1 including foundation year) so by the time i complete my degree I will be 25 but remember to become a gp doctor you would need to complete extra 3 years on top so i would be 28. If anyone know any way of me avoiding dropping out of year 12 and carrying on into year 13 with extended certificate and two a levels so that i can get into med school reply.

What uni accept level 3 applied science for medicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending