The Student Room Group

Is there any way I could get onto medicine with BTEC Applied Science Dual Award?

Hi, i am currently an apprentice working towards a BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science, I am hoping to get D*D*.

I have recently been looking into access courses for medicine but I am a bit confused as to how i could get onto a medicine course.

I know UCLan offer a foundation year in medical sciences with the potential to progress onto Medicine but i have heard this is extremely competitive for UK students.

What do you think my best option is?
Reply 1
Do the correct A-levels in a gap year
Do a foundation degree and compete for the tiny number of transfer-into-medicine places
Do an access-to-medicine qualification
Do a degree, get a 1st/2.1, and attempt Graduate Entry Medicine.

You really need to google the basics before coming on here IMO, there is a lot of information out there already which will help you much quicker than these forums. Good luck!
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Cam_fearn
Hi, i am currently an apprentice working towards a BTEC National Diploma in Applied Science, I am hoping to get D*D*.

I have recently been looking into access courses for medicine but I am a bit confused as to how i could get onto a medicine course.

I know UCLan offer a foundation year in medical sciences with the potential to progress onto Medicine but i have heard this is extremely competitive for UK students.

What do you think my best option is?

Hi there Cam_fearn, :smile:

It's great to hear that you are looking to study medicine.

Our medicine courses are highly competitive and we only offer a limited number of places to UK students.

An alternative way to entry can be completing a Medical Sciences course, which is a two-year accelerated degree that acts as a introduction to Medicine, Dentistry or Physician Associate Studies - although places on the MBBS course aren't guaranteed, you can apply for graduate entry onto other Medicine courses at other institutions following completion of this course.

There is also a foundation entry for Medical Sciences where you can do a year of this course and apply through UCAS to the MBBS course, you would have to go through the same process as all other applicants though and it isn't guaranteed that they'll get an interview.

I hope this helps, :smile:
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending