The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

orca92
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Feel Stupid?

Economics and business is more unrespected as it is more vocational than straight economics.

I had a feeling that business and economics was unrespected, but wasn't really clear - so thanks for the confirmation, I'd hopefully be looking to apply to some of the top universities anyway when the time comes. So that means it shall be okay to take as a 4th A level, and it would not hinder me?

Thanks to everyone that has given advice too, if anyone takes either geography or business and economics combined, please feel free to share some advice on how you find the subject.
Perseverance
I had a feeling that business and economics was unrespected, but wasn't really clear - so thanks for the confirmation, I'd hopefully be looking to apply to some of the top universities anyway when the time comes. So that means it shall be okay to take as a 4th A level, and it would not hinder me?

Thanks to everyone that has given advice too, if anyone takes either geography or business and economics combined, please feel free to share some advice on how you find the subject.

It would depend on the university and the course applied for. If it was a top university like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc they wouldn't be allowed to not take you into consideration when you have three strong A-levels and a 'weaker' one, but they would probably give more consideration to somebody who had four, strong 'traditional' A-levels.
andy2494
thanks for the advice-you don't think 3 sciences would be too much work/not a broad enough subject combination then?

I have no idea whether 3 sciences would be too much work, as I've only just finished my GCSEs and I'm not planning to take sciences at A level :p: But I presume that it would be quite a large workload, but then again, it's the same for pretty much all A level subjects. You're not doing essay subjects so you're lucky in that you won't be overloaded with essays to do. If you enjoy sciences, then you should have no problem :smile:
Duckzilla
It would depend on the university and the course applied for. If it was a top university like Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc they wouldn't be allowed to not take you into consideration when you have three strong A-levels and a 'weaker' one, but they would probably give more consideration to somebody who had four, strong 'traditional' A-levels.

That's what I was afraid of :s-smilie:
Reply 244
Oh_Mighty_One
Oh wow. Your using Cambridge as an example... Jesus christ man... In NORMAL universities, there isn't, or there shoulden't be, any difference in respect for either Geography or Economics and Business.

Whether or not that you think there should or shouldn't be a difference in respect of the A level is irrelevant. The only opinion that matters is that of the admissions tutors at the university that the OP is applying to. Unfortunately economics and business is more vocational whereas geography contains a lot more scientific theory; therefore they aren't going to be classed similar by unis. Yes, geography is one of the 'easier' A levels in my opinion and therefore it's less respected than say maths; but it can't be put in the same category as economics and business. As for using Cambridge as an example it all depends whether OP wants to apply to what you class as normal universities...

Perseverance
I'd hopefully be looking to apply to some of the top universities anyway when the time comes.

Looks like they want to aim for the best doesn't it; that includes Cambridge. As for Trinity Colleges' respected A level list coming up in every other A level subject thread, it comes up as it's really the only list from a decent uni that we have, apart from the LSE blacklist; unfortunately that relates more to degrees like economics rather than a more general range of degrees so Cambridge comes up more often.

Duckzilla

None of us are admissions tutors at a university (i dont think) so it's hard for us to know exactly how much it hinders having '3 hard, 1 seoft' compared to '4 hard'. However, my thinking is that in Trinity Colleges' list there is a list of subjects that are suitable as a 4th A level and the two lists (science and arts) that are respected. To me, by common sense i would think that the B list is fine as the 3rd A level. This is backed up by Paulwhy:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355

So in this case it would seem to me that if Cambridge are saying that out of the 3 A2s, '2 hard, 1 soft' is fine; then taking '3 hard, 1 soft' at AS would be fine by any (most) universities. What are your opinions Duckzilla?
However, i think a lot relies on what OP is applying for as well; taking say sociology for a degree in economics is going to put a big dent in an application for example.

Perseverance

Geographys ok, it's what you expect when you study geography but it's quite up to date stuff like global warming. And theres a lot of essays compared to GCSE. It's easy though; i revise the night before and still get A's; so it lets me concentrate on my other subjects which are a lot harder.
orca92
x

I'm obviously not a university admissions' tutor so everything I say here could be wrong, but in my opinion one of the reasons the lists are published so that Cambridge for example don't actually have the right to refuse you with three 'hard' subjects and one 'soft' subject, but they would prefer if you had four 'hard' subjects and may give more preference to these candidates, especially with place numbers getting smaller and smaller. I would think that you would have to be equally considered with everybody else when you have one soft subject then when it gets to picking time the subject choice could give an affect to who they take, because in reality the 'traditional' subjects are what they really want to see. I could be completely wrong here but I'm just using a common sense approach from an outside point of view.
No subject should be considered "easy" or "soft". It's pathetic.
Reply 247
Duckzilla
x

Hmm, you see, just echoing what i said before; it think that unis are less against soft subjects than we think they are. If Cambridge has published a list saying that sociology, media studies and business studies etc, are suitable as 3rd A levels (as Paulwhy says in his thread) then it looks to me as though its a level playing field between '2 hard, 1 soft' and '3 hard' at A2. I would think that it now comes down to PS, GCSE grades, AS grades, A2 grades and the reference; i'm not sure that whether the 3rd A level is a soft or hard one will matter too much when unis have these other factors to look at. I would think that in applications for more competitive subjects (say economics at LSE) the 3rd A level may be looked at more closely, especially when some applicants have 4 strong subjects to A2.

OP, to me, it's really a risk that you have to look at. Do you want to risk the softer subject; if your applying for a less competitive degree course then its not much of a risk i don't think; especially as you will probably drop this at AS. Maybe if your doing a more competitive degree it will be looked at a bit; but having said this, it won't be much of a problem i don't expect especially if you drop this subject at AS. Its your choice really whether you risk unis not minding you having econ and business or take the safer option of geography.
orca92
Hmm, you see, just echoing what i said before; it think that unis are less against soft subjects than we think they are. If Cambridge has published a list saying that sociology, media studies and business studies etc, are suitable as 3rd A levels (as Paulwhy says in his thread) then it looks to me as though its a level playing field between '2 hard, 1 soft' and '3 hard' at A2. I would think that it now comes down to PS, GCSE grades, AS grades, A2 grades and the reference; i'm not sure that whether the 3rd A level is a soft or hard one will matter too much when unis have these other factors to look at. I would think that in applications for more competitive subjects (say economics at LSE) the 3rd A level may be looked at more closely, especially when some applicants have 4 strong subjects to A2.

OP, to me, it's really a risk that you have to look at. Do you want to risk the softer subject; if your applying for a less competitive degree course then its not much of a risk i don't think; especially as you will probably drop this at AS. Maybe if your doing a more competitive degree it will be looked at a bit; but having said this, it won't be much of a problem i don't expect especially if you drop this subject at AS. Its your choice really whether you risk unis not minding you having econ and business or take the safer option of geography.

Difficult choice :frown: , but thanks a lot for your help, it has been really useful. I'm thinking about doing law, which is pretty competitive. I might just take the risk and go for economics and business, I feel I would enjoy it more.
Reply 249
For Law, English Lit and History are very good strong subjects and IMO it won't make a difference if you take Geography or Economics and Business as a fourth subject; if anything Economics/Business may be slightly more relevant.

You can always mention (or have a teacher mention) in your application that you could not take straight Economics, if it really bothers you that much.
Reply 250
well i was just wondering if you could tell me what you think of these subjects, as im still unsure of what i want to take. I just basically want to know what there like, if there hard, what there like in comparassion to gcse, which make the best combo etc

Biology
Philosophy and ethics
sociology
psychology
science in society
politics and goverment

thankss :smile:
Reply 251
Could you tell me please, what's the difference between Further Mathematics and Mathematics?
You do more units in further maths - it was too much maths for me to handle.
mardo
Could you tell me please, what's the difference between Further Mathematics and Mathematics?

Further Mathematics is basically extra modules, so for just normal Mathematics you'll sit exams in the four 'core' modules: C1, C2, C3 and C4, with two applied modules (Mechanics, Statistics or Decision or a combination of the two of the three). Further Mathematics has modules I think in 'Further Pure' so that's FP1, FP2, FP3, FP4 and then M2 or S2 or D3 or something like that. Basically more in depth. It's hard though, so to get the grades you'll need to be doing hard core studying everyday!
mardo
Hi,

I have chosen my A-level subjects and I would like to hear your opinion about them, what do you think about:
1. Physics
2. Computing
3. Mathematics
4. Buisness studies

Could you tell me a bit more about them, is it hard to achieve an A-level? In future I want to study Computer Science.

well good subject combination and diverse as well specially due to business studies..high standard uni's will consider you for admission .
well its easy i would say only when you know the concepts.
maths is conceptual and alot fun..computer is chicken ****-easy.
business is also fun.physics is serious stuff. work hard for it especially the p4.
Business Studies isn't an advantage to you, but take it if you enjoy it. Possibly just to AS. They tend not to care about your 4th A Level, it can be unrelated. But BS won't help you as another subject might.

However, they do not respect Computing (see it the same way as ICT). The only computer-themed A Level they like is Computer Science but they don't expect it as not many schools offer it, you're not at a disadvantage if you don't take it!

I'd recommend Physics, Maths, Further Maths.

Then, you should chose a 4th you enjoy or that is loosely related. The 4th doesn't matter much, and you can drop for AS. Maybe another science, like Chemistry, or something interesting like Economics?

As for how Further Maths works...

Maths - 4 core modules (C1, C2, C3, C4) + 2 applied (Mechanics 1/2/3, Statistics 1/2/3, Decision 1/2/3)
Further Maths - 2 core modules (FP1, FP2) + 4 applied (Mechanics 1/2/3, Statistics 1/2/3, Decision 1/2/3, Further Pure 3/4/5)

Obviously if you do a module in Maths, you can't do it in Further Maths.

Best of luck!
Business studies is fine because you have 3 strong subjects drop bussiness after AS id say though
Sounds good to me, and seeing as most people only take 3 subjects to A2 you could always drop business studies after AS anyway, whilst keeping the 3 important ones.
OMGWTFBBQ
Business Studies isn't an advantage to you, but take it if you enjoy it. Possibly just to AS. They tend not to care about your 4th A Level, it can be unrelated. But BS won't help you as another subject might.

However, they do not respect Computing (see it the same way as ICT). The only computer-themed A Level they like is Computer Science.

I'd recommend Physics, Maths, Further Maths.

Then, you should chose a 4th you enjoy or that is loosely related. The 4th doesn't matter much, and you can drop for AS. Maybe another science, like Chemistry, or something interesting like Economics?

As for how Further Maths works...

Maths - 4 core modules (C1, C2, C3, C4) + 2 applied (Mechanics 1/2/3, Statistics 1/2/3, Decision 1/2/3)
Further Maths - 2 core modules (FP1, FP2) + 4 applied (Mechanics 1/2/3, Statistics 1/2/3, Decision 1/2/3, Further Pure 3/4/5)

Obviously if you do a module in Maths, you can't do it in Further Maths.

Best of luck!

They do respect Computing. It's ICT they don't respect. Computing is a sensible choice for someone wanting to study computer science at university.
Jonty99
They do respect Computing. It's ICT they don't respect. Computing is a sensible choice for someone wanting to study computer science at university.

Oxford/Cambridge/York/Manchester/Birmingham have all told me first hand that they do not like Computing or ICT.

That said, I'm sure it'd make a great 4th choice.

Latest