The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Official University of Kent Offer Holders Thread for 2024 entry

Hello everyone, welcome to the official discussion thread for students who have gotten a offer from University of Kent for 2024 entry! You can chat with other offer holders, and see if you can find someone who could be in your class next year <3! also, let us know what A Levels you are taking and the subject you want to study!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Got a conditional offer for BEng with placement year for Biomedical Engineering. I’m an international student from the US.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Heyyyy everyone!
I got a conditional offer from Kent about two weeks ago. I am doing Psych BSc. I am from East London/ Essex :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Got a conditional offer for Law and Politics, also hoping to do a year abroad. I am from London 😋
Reply 4
i got a conditional offer for BEng with placement year for Mechanical Engineering. im from london 😛
Original post by iyisir3
Got a conditional offer for BEng with placement year for Biomedical Engineering. I’m an international student from the US.

Hi @iyisir3 ,

That is so great to hear!

What interested you about this course specifically?

As you may be coming from the US you may not have had the opportunity to visit our campus but you can experience the campus virtually: https://www.kent.ac.uk/virtual-experience/

We hope we will get to welcome you in 2024 and good luck! If you have any questions about campus life, Canterbury or anything else do let us know and we will try answer your question as best as we can (all our reps are current students studying subjects such as Psychology, Law and Economics)

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by linasam
Heyyyy everyone!
I got a conditional offer from Kent about two weeks ago. I am doing Psych BSc. I am from East London/ Essex :smile:

Hi @linasam ,

We love to hear that you got a conditional offer! Congratulations

I am a final year student studying Psychology and we also have another rep who studies psychology at postgraduate level so if you have any questions feel free to ask away! We also have other reps studying Law and Economics so you get a range of student opinions as we all currently study/live either on campus or off campus.

Have you been to one of our open days or applicant days? These days can give you a real insight into what being at Kent could look like for you and gives you a chance to explore the town centre too. I have lived in Canterbury for 10 years and still love walking around the town centre with my friends. More information about these days can be found here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days and https://www.kent.ac.uk/psychology/undergraduate/applicants.

We hope we will get to welcome you in 2024 and good luck! If you have any questions about campus life, Canterbury or anything else do let us know and we will try answer your question as best as we can.

Alia
Original post by Anonymous #1
Got a conditional offer for Law and Politics, also hoping to do a year abroad. I am from London 😋

Hi,

Congratulations on your conditional offer!

Have you been to one of our open days yet? These days can give you a real insight into what being at Kent could look like for you and gives you a chance to explore the town centre too. More information about these days can be found here:https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days.

We hope we will get to welcome you in 2024 and good luck! If you have any questions about campus life, living in Canterbury or anything else do let us know and we will try answer your question as best as we can. Our reps (including myself) are all current students who study a variety of subjects including Law, Economics and psychology (undergraduate and postgraduate level)

Alia
Original post by stormis
i got a conditional offer for BEng with placement year for Mechanical Engineering. im from london 😛

Hi @stormis ,

Have you been to one of our open days or seen the campus? These days can give you a real insight into what being at Kent could look like for you and gives you a chance to explore the town centre too. I would definitely recommend coming down for a weekend if you can just to take your time exploring the campus and city at your own pace and meeting some staff on the open days too. If you cant make it we also have virtual tours which you can explore in your own time here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/hospitality/virtual-tours/student/. More information about these days can be found here:https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days.

We hope we will get to welcome you in 2024! If you have any questions about campus life, living in Canterburyor anything else do let us know and we will try answer your question as best as we can. Our reps (including myself) are all current students who study a variety of subjects including Law, Economics and psychology (undergraduate and postgraduate level) so, although we do not study the the same degree as the one you applied for we can still answer questions about it and other aspects of student life.

Alia
Reply 9
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @iyisir3 ,

That is so great to hear!

What interested you about this course specifically?

As you may be coming from the US you may not have had the opportunity to visit our campus but you can experience the campus virtually: https://www.kent.ac.uk/virtual-experience/

We hope we will get to welcome you in 2024 and good luck! If you have any questions about campus life, Canterbury or anything else do let us know and we will try answer your question as best as we can (all our reps are current students studying subjects such as Psychology, Law and Economics)

Alia

Hi Alia, I actually did get to visit the campus with my family in late November and were able to go on a campus tour with the lovely Linda from the International office. We also had the opportunity to meet with professors from the School of Engineering as well as one from the Biomedical Engineering department. I am now in the process of making a decision of which unis to firm and insure. Canterbury and Kent are both amazing!
Original post by iyisir3
Hi Alia, I actually did get to visit the campus with my family in late November and were able to go on a campus tour with the lovely Linda from the International office. We also had the opportunity to meet with professors from the School of Engineering as well as one from the Biomedical Engineering department. I am now in the process of making a decision of which unis to firm and insure. Canterbury and Kent are both amazing!

Hi @iyisir3 ,

I remember when I had to choose a firm and insurance, it definitely is not easy so take your time!

I am glad you had a good time while you were on campus and were able to speak to some of the professors.

If you have any questions that will help you decide or if you want to know more about Kent do ask! We would be more than happy to help.

Good luck!

Alia
Hi,

Have you been to one of our open days yet? These days can give you a real insight into what being at Kent could look like for you and gives you a chance to explore the town centre too. More information about these days can be found here:https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days.

We hope we will get to welcome you in 2024 and good luck! If you have any questions about campus life, living in Canterbury or anything else do let us know and we will try answer your question as best as we can. Our reps (including myself) are all current students who study a variety of subjects including Law, Economics and psychology (undergraduate and postgraduate level)

Alia

Hi Alia,

Yes i've been to Kent open day and i loved it there, i will definitely put it as my firm, i loved the moot court they had in the Law school.
I'm just wondering about the accommodation, what are the good ones, i've been looking on the website, but it doesn't show much.
Hi Alia,

Yes i've been to Kent open day and i loved it there, i will definitely put it as my firm, i loved the moot court they had in the Law school.
I'm just wondering about the accommodation, what are the good ones, i've been looking on the website, but it doesn't show much.

Hi,

It is great to hear you loved it and that you got to have a look around! I hope you were able/had time to have a look around the city centre. I have lived in Canterbury for 10 years and still love it when summer rolls around, there are so many green spaces to hang out or study in! If you have some time I would use google to have a look at some of the parks we have including Westgate Gardens (or dont if you want to surprise yourself too!)

It depends on what you are after really as to which accommodation to choose! I have never lived on campus so I am not too sure which are 'best'. What are you looking for?

For more information you can look at this website which also contains information about the free gym membership you get if you decide to live on campus: https://www.kent.ac.uk/accommodation/canterbury.

Alia
Reply 13
Hiii, I’ve got a conditional offer for econ and was just wondering if kent did offer holder days as I haven’t been able to make it to an open day yet.
Hi Alia,

Hey there,

I hope you're keeping well!

I'm moreso in a better position to answer, since I've spent my 2 years so far in Keynes Accommodation.

I can't really say which is the "best", since everyone has different likes and dislikes - but you can break it up into different preferences to see what you'd rather live in.
These preferences would be:

Lone vs Twin Rooms: Some rooms you get all to your own, however you can cut the costs by choosing the option to share a room with another person in a twin setup, plus ensuite setup. From what I've heard, this is actually quite nice since you get the benefits of high quality rooms, at a much reduced price at the cost of some privacy.

En-Suite vs Shared Facilites: For some rooms, you can choose to have your own toilet and sink (ensuite), whereas in other accommodation you can choose to share these facilites for a reduced price as well.

Self-Catered vs Catered: As for catering, you can choose rooms with a Bed&Flex meal plan - whereby you pay £6 a day to eat, and recieve £12 in tokens to spend at restaurants at the University, but lack a kitchen (which is surprisingly a pretty good deal as you save money on groceries, as well as on time cooking and effort in cooking, all while getting restaurant-quality food each day) - or you could choose another accommodation and cook your own food in a shared kitchen.
Do note that you can also select the Bed&Flex plan as an extra option even if you're placed in an accommodation with a kitchen and supposedly self-catered service.

Location: Some flats are closer to central campus than others, for example Keynes, Darwin, and Turing are closer to the library and teaching facilities than Park Wood, though only by a few minutes. Nevertheless, this can be pretty handy if you leave your room late just before class is about to start! I think its more coincidence though that these places tend to cost more than the further away location though.

Duration: The normal duration that a contract lasts for accommodation is 39 weeks - meaning you can stay in your room from September - July (or June I can't remember). But, for a reduced price, you could choose to leave during Winter and Spring break which can help save you a pretty penny - thus spending only 32 weeks in your accommodation.

Moderate vs Normal Lifestyle: This won't cost you anything. You may get given the option of moderate living in your select accommodation, which means you'll be paired up (not just in a flat, but in a block) with others who selected moderate, and what this means is you all choose to not party too much, not staying up until 3am drinking, and not being too loud so that others and you can get a nice rest.

Now, with all that said - some accommodation is more attractive certain people than others, which is why there is no "best" room. I know that in my course, Park Woods is very popular - as its known more for being cheaper, as well as having more extroverted people who have more parties. Personally, I'm more a fan of Keynes, since I like being able to sleep, but also having my own ensuite facilities and being close to the library is also more my style. This does cost more though, so I took the 32 week option, and move out during breaks - which is a bit annoying, but not the end of the world.
Just so you know as well, all first years and those living on Uni accommodation get free sport and fitness membership to Kent sport - which is always a nice, little thing to have!

Anyways, I do hope this helped clarify the situation a bit more. Really, you just have to pick and choose what you're fine with living with and what your preferences are as well.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask - but once again, I hope this helped! :smile:

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Ashantai
Hiii, I’ve got a conditional offer for econ and was just wondering if kent did offer holder days as I haven’t been able to make it to an open day yet.

Hi @Ashantai,

I hope you're keeping well.

Firstly, congratulations! That's great news and I look forward to seeing you here next year!

As for the offer holder days, I think we do, we just call them applicant days - which is just a bit confusing. Here are the Canterbury dates that have been set:

Saturday 17 February

Saturday 2 March

Wednesday 13 March

Saturday 23 March

Monday 8 April

From what I understand, you might need to book, so I'd recommend just doing that as early as possible, just to get it out of the way. But don't worry too much if you forget - you can still come if you haven't booked - I think the Uni just likes to collect this info to help them survey which dates are best more than anything.

Anyways, you can find more about this here:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/applicants/undergraduate-applicant-event-information

And this is info on booking :smile:
https://www.kent.ac.uk/applicants/how-to-book-your-applicant-event

If you do have any more questions, feel free to ask or even call the Uni to help you out! :smile:
I hope this helps!

Warm regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative
I have an offer to study classical archeology and ancient history! I am from South England so Kent is not too far away :smile:)
Original post by Anonymous #2
I have an offer to study classical archeology and ancient history! I am from South England so Kent is not too far away :smile:)

Hey!

That’s amazing, congratulations! I’m also from South England and go to Kent! Are you planning to commute or live on campus? 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions about Kent!!

Natalie
Hey!

That’s amazing, congratulations! I’m also from South England and go to Kent! Are you planning to commute or live on campus? 🙂

Let me know if you have any questions about Kent!!

Natalie

Hello!

I’m planning to live on campus :smile: !! What is the best accommodation?
coming for Psychology with Forensic Psychology BsC all the way from Cornwall! Just put in my firm offer but cannot decide on accommodation. Looking at either Darwin or Turing. Turing looks really nice but is also way more expensive so haven't decided yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending