The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

True feminists just want women to be seen as equals to men, to have the same rights and opportunities as men, and to be represented equally with men.

I don't think anyone can argue that that is currently the case. Yes, there are some ways in which males are disadvantaged in society, but those pale in comparison to the advantages they have.

What you're saying is like asking, "How dare Cancer Research spend so much time trying to treat and cure cancer when there are other diseases out there!? If they truly want people to be healthier they should research all diseases and illnesses equally".
Also I don't know why you had to start a new thread when this was already being discussed in the other one. Or why you had to post as anon.
JW92
Legally, there are no barriers to women. Socially, women are subject to stifling gender roles, but so are men. The idea that men are the oppressors and women are the oppressed is out-dated. Yet, when you voice this view, people tend to assume you're a male who wants to reclaim his dominance rather than someone who is opposed to all prescribed gender conformity.

Oh, right, are you one of those people who only think feminism applies to the UK?

I never understand this view. In almost all societies all over the world women are oppressed, often horribly. 70% of the poorest people in the world are female. What does it matter if on a small island in Europe we've managed to get equality in the law (but not socially)? You think that the fight for womens rights should be dismissed just because in your small society you don't think it's that big a problem? Feminism is a worldwide movement- and speaking as part of a global community, 'women are the ones who get all the stick' is an understatement, if anything. Saying 'but that's not necessarily true in the UK' is as silly as saying 'but in my school there's no sexism'.

(Regarding just the UK- yes, men are oppressed by gender roles too, I completely agree. But if you look at which gender is better off- men are by far richer and more powerful than women.)
Reply 43
missygeorgia
Oh, right, are you one of those people who only think feminism applies to the UK?

I never understand this view. In almost all societies all over the world women are oppressed, often horribly. 70% of the poorest people in the world are female. What does it matter if on a small island in Europe we've managed to get equality in the law (but not socially)? You think that the fight for womens rights should be dismissed just because in your small society you don't think it's that big a problem? Feminism is a worldwide movement- and speaking as part of a global community, 'women are the ones who get all the stick' is an understatement, if anything. Saying 'but that's not necessarily true in the UK' is as silly as saying 'but in my school there's no sexism'.

(Regarding just the UK- yes, men are oppressed by gender roles too, I completely agree. But if you look at which gender is better off- men are by far richer and more powerful than women.)

Sorry, I was just referring to the UK, like most people on this thread. On a global scale, women are certainly the more oppressed gender.
missygeorgia
But government can't work properly if it doesn't represent its people. We need around half of MPs to be female, because we need women to have a voice in parliament. An all male government, no matter how excellent the individuals in it are, simply can't work because it's not representing the country properly.

Of course! I agree with you completely, but there would be a huge risk-factor is proposing something as ambitious as that.
I think the biggest problem is the stigma attached to women in politics, and that needs to be conquered before they jump into new territory.

Maybe in the next 10-20 years we could be seeing a fairer representation in the government?
I like feminism more, because men get laid more!! I wish I knew this fact sooner :teeth:.

On a serious note, I don't really dislike feminists - they can be quite nice.
missygeorgia
I'm also wary about having a quota- that's not necessarily what I'm arguing for. But do you not find it incredibly worrying that only 20% of MPs are female? As a group which is so often marginalised we need to be represented in parliament. And yes, I would say exactly the same about any other minorities- I would be extremely worried if there were no black people in government, wouldn't you?

You say women have 'chosen' this- except they didn't have much choice, because there are so few female politicians. Most of the candidates are male- and unless you vote for someone purely for them being female, the likelihood is that the most viable option is going to be male.

IF all the women in the country said 'we will only vote for female candidates, every party would put a girl up'. It's the voter who is empowered, not the government.

Time and time again throughout history it's been proven that on the whole, with exceptions, it's women who fight for womens rights. If we don't have a female voice, we're going to get ignored- and we know this, because it's female politicians who have pushed for our rights in the past and who continue to. I'm not saying that male politicians are all sexist and oppressing or anything- but they can't always represent us or understand the unique and difficult issues facing us in the way that women can.

In the UK females have equal rights - they can do whatever a man can do. As I said before in this thread, gender equality is about a person being able to do what they want, without their gender hindering them. We have that at the moment.

I wouldn't be worried about no black people in government, just as I wouldn't be worried about no people taller than 6' in government, or no ginger people in government. People are individuals - and to take people on the basis of their race, sex or creed and say they have a particular voice or suggest that they represent the whole is the most myopic thing possible - and really amounts to saying all black people like KFC and watermelon on the basis of a few pictures.

Women's issues? From what I have read on women's issues and where feminists believe there should be more women in government - it seems that most of the problems occur on certain class and economic lines rather than anything else. e.g. high cases of domestic abuse and institutionalized sexism occur more among people with low economic means than higher (it's harder to work on a building site than work for Credit Swiss if you are a women) etc.

THe issue is, there is no particular women's voice. Just as some of the black people in politics (public school and Oxbridge) can't speak or simply doesn't care about the issues of black youths in inner city london estates, knife crime or Zimbabuean immigrants, many women in politics or who would go into politics simply wouldn't have any realization or empathy for some of the issues and 'inequalities' that other women feel and want changed - indeed if it was a case of high alcohol related violence in working class areas, a middle-upper class female MP may well think 'they're just a bunch of chavs, I don't care'.

Again, the issue is divided on class or economic lines, not male or female. Women differ so much in opinion and 'life lived' that there is no such thing as a 'women's voice' or really with our level of equality a 'universal women's issue', especially when we look at where in society the inequality is occuring.

There is a better case for empowering people to take issues to their MPS and forcing their MPs to introduce some issues, than lots of women MPs. Indeed, I would suggest that 'inequality' in this country cannot be changed by different laws (as pos disc would lead to a sexist backlash), but by changing attitudes. It isn't the responsibility of the government to do this, it is the responsibility of the individual to maintain self awareness.
Reply 47
Mate the simple fact is every white male person has virtually no rights when it comes to racism. thats the down side. women in more ways than one have "more equal" rights than there male counterparts. if we campagned for that, simply for this reason we would be branded as sexist, generally racist and more likly than not be prosecuted as such. my surgestion... every white male man has a reverse michael jackson surgery!

as you say we lack rights on abortion, child care, home abuse, harrasment, rape, racisist attack or remarks made against us.

similar for men of other races bar the last point made there.

women lack: equal job opertunities (which wont be reconsidled until they work for the same length of time as us and they live longer than us anyway!)
Equal pay

realistically thats about it...
JW92
Legally, there are no barriers to women. Socially, women are subject to stifling gender roles, but so are men. The idea that men are the oppressors and women are the oppressed is out-dated. Yet, when you voice this view, people tend to assume you're a male who wants to reclaim his dominance rather than someone who is opposed to all prescribed gender conformity.
Well I don't think patriarchy as an issue is outdated. Certainly the issue of oppression may not be in the same form but they are still there. The pose to you the continuation of objectification of women in society. The question that we put forward is whether women have a choice on this ideal of objectification or whether it is society putting it forward as an illusion. Furthermore, the Feminist movement in terms of the oppression that you state still occurs in non westernised countries. This has been ignored by Eurocentric feminists and the antagonists against the movement. This form of feminism combating such oppression such as womanism describes everything that you say is disappearing in contemporary society.
Reply 49
Anonymous
Anon or delete

Yeah so, feminism? They claim to be for equal rights but what about them not speaking out for (as we have seen today on TSR) the retierment age, the courts casual sexism towards men in children's cases, divorce, rape ect, car insurance (regardless of statistics) and paternity leave.

Another point I would like to bring up is abortions. I know it's a touchy subject but it HAS to be discussed. If a women gets pregnant she can terminate it if she pleases (And is knowingly aware of the physical and emotional side-effects). Yet a father has no right to this? Why is that? the child is 50% his. I propose a "Paternal abortion". Which would be a contract a father signs, which is in effect an abortion. It wouldn't really terminate the pregnancy, but it would strip the father of all legal and financial responsibility for the child. Women can do it when they please so why must a father (if he doesn't want the child) have to have his life screwed up when a women can choose wheather or not to have hers screwed up?

Thats hardly equal.

How can feminists claim to be equal? They are sexist towards men by NOT campaigning for these.

One of my friends volenteers as a Trauma Center and one of the projects he was working on was creating a male only trauma group. The center already have a women only one by the way. Yet when he called up a few hospitals the female receptionists claimed that a male only group was 'bad', 'illegal' and 'immoral'. I would like to know why the hell some feminists feel this way?

How can they claim to promote equality when they go against men in these senses?

Disclaimer: *NOT ALL but a number of them are against men to some extent. Even if its that they don't campaign for rights of the father in court or other points I've brought up*

Agree enitirely. Also, don't forget race for life. A horrendously sexist organisation, the type we'd have expected from 19th century men. Run by feminists for feminists. But as it's for a good cause, it's just seen as heroic, and all the women conveniently overlook the blatant sexism.
OhNO!
Why? You need a gendered perspective when only one gender is oppressed.

Haha if only it were that black and white. Oppression is pluralistic, multi-faceted, reflexive and reciprocal. Defining a binary opposite (man and woman) in your mind and placing one beneath the other is just as much an inculcation of your own oppression as the social ills you claim to combat against.
JW92
It is this attitude that makes most men and a lot of women resent the feminist movement.

It's not an "attitude", it's the truth. Women still face the vast majority of sexual discrimination today, to say otherwise is completely naive.
MrHappy_J
It's not an "attitude", it's the truth. Women still face the vast majority of sexual discrimination today, to say otherwise is completely naive.
Absolutely.
Stricof
Absolutely.

thankyou.
MrHappy_J
Women still face the vast majority of sexual discrimination today, to say otherwise is completely naive.

Exactly.
Reply 55
Umbrella.Girl
But what happens if the woman gets raped and wishes to abort? How on earth would she go about doing that?

I'm not a feminist, in fact i'll even go on to say that they annoy me. I'm very content with the way things are now, but the abortion thing is a touchy subject for me. As the woman is the one carrying the baby for 9 months, has to give birth to the baby and breast feed it I do feel that she should have a choice on whether she wants to abort it or not.

The reason why women abort is because they feel that they are unable to raise a baby in their current circumstances. It's not an act of selfishness, it's the exact opposite!
Maybe if men were the ones who had to give birth then they'd understand!

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Mr. Garrison: Who was in charge of the feminist movement of the early '60's?

Cartman: A bunch of fat old skanks on their periods?

Mr. Garrison: Right. But who was the fattest, oldest skank on her period?
Reply 57
MrHappy_J

Please excuse my naivety, then.
oscarwildelike
How do men have the upper hand in society?

you're kidding, right?

who are the people that have dominated most aspects of society until recently? that's right, men.

who are the people more likely to get high-paid jobs and long life careers? again, men.
Reply 59
Don't respond to missygeorgia, seriously, she's not a feminist, she's a man-hating lesbian. She practically admitted in another thread she doesn't give a **** about men.

Latest

Trending

Trending