The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
paddyman4
Example?

. Our citizens are out there fighting the Taliban in the name of our own security, and people here want to show their gratitude by having fun playing as the ******* who are blowing our men apart and simulating doing it themselves. Are you able to hijack a plane and fly it into a building full of civilians as well? Maybe an expansion pack will let you simulate stoning a girl to death or chopping off a boy's hands and we can all laugh and have fun playing that. It's just sick to take a situation in which people are still dying and so many people are still grieving and turn it into a form of light entertainment. It would be like turning the Pakistani floods into a fun game and worst of all making the aim of the game to drown as many kids as possible.

it might not be a strawman but its a deliberate over exaggeration in an attempt to give your claim more validity when you clearly had no idea what the game was about.

which was what my daily mail point was not a strawman.
Excandersham
. Our citizens are out there fighting the Taliban in the name of our own security, and people here want to show their gratitude by having fun playing as the ******* who are blowing our men apart and simulating doing it themselves. Are you able to hijack a plane and fly it into a building full of civilians as well? Maybe an expansion pack will let you simulate stoning a girl to death or chopping off a boy's hands and we can all laugh and have fun playing that. It's just sick to take a situation in which people are still dying and so many people are still grieving and turn it into a form of light entertainment. It would be like turning the Pakistani floods into a fun game and worst of all making the aim of the game to drown as many kids as possible.

it might not be a strawman but its a deliberate over exaggeration in an attempt to give your claim more validity when you clearly had no idea what the game was about.

which was what my daily mail point was not a strawman.

You'd agreed I haven't used a straw man one post after saying that I enjoy using them immensely.

The Daily Mail is of course a straw man. You didn't argue against anything I said, but instead implied that the Daily Mail would say that. You replaced my argument with the Daily Mail, something which is so much easier to knock down. Given TSR's feelings towards the Daily Mail, it's not much better than refusing to counter someone's argument but instead saying that they remind them of Hitler.
Reply 82
Well I'm definitely going to get it now. Will be fun killing NATO soldiers.
Reply 83
paddyman4
You'd agreed I haven't used a straw man one post after saying that I enjoy using them immensely.

The Daily Mail is of course a straw man. You didn't argue against anything I said, but instead implied that the Daily Mail would say that. You replaced my argument with the Daily Mail, something which is so much easier to knock down. Given TSR's feelings towards the Daily Mail, it's not much better than refusing to counter someone's argument but instead saying that they remind them of Hitler.

Replaced the argument?

No i denigrated your position because you over exaggerated what the game company was actually doing and compared it to baby killing in pakistan floods.

So yes i was quite reasonable in comparing your post to the daily mail.

And what argument? all you posted was a very angry opinion.
Excandersham
Replaced the argument?

No i denigrated your position because you over exaggerated what the game company was actually doing and compared it to baby killing in pakistan floods.

So yes i was quite reasonable in comparing your post to the daily mail.

And what argument? all you posted was a very angry opinion.

No, I compared it to a game of baby killing in pakistan floods. Fair comparison. Furthermore, had I compared Medal of Honour to baby killing in Pakistani floods, how exactly would that make a Daily Mail comparison 'reasonable'? I'm pretty sure they haven't written an article containing that comparison.

You did not 'denigrate my position'. You lazily, boringly and unoriginally made a Daily Mail joke to try and denigrate my position without having to respond to anything I actually said.

I'm going to leave it there, because you're getting silly. You can reply if you feel desperate to have the last word but I'm not coming back.
Reply 85
The only reason I would ban these games is to stop a load of Xbox obsessed, under-educated Chavs from joining the army. I saw it all happen at my school. A Chav plays COD all his life, fails his GCSEs, and so joins the army thinking it will all be like COD. Oh, what a rude awakening a lot of them are in for.
Reply 86
paddyman4
No, I compared it to a game of baby killing in pakistan floods. Fair comparison. Furthermore, had I compared Medal of Honour to baby killing in Pakistani floods, how exactly would that make a Daily Mail comparison 'reasonable'? I'm pretty sure they haven't written an article containing that comparison.

You did not 'denigrate my position'. You lazily, boringly and unoriginally made a Daily Mail joke to try and denigrate my position without having to respond to anything I actually said.

I'm going to leave it there, because you're getting silly. You can reply if you feel desperate to have the last word but I'm not coming back.

Well i won't deny you the satisfaction of superiority so here is my last word reply.
Tabris
The difference is that they are obviously cinematic.

Anyway, you don't play as a terrorist in CoD4 MP. You play under the OpFor flag, which is usually given to enemies from an unnamed country (usually of slavic or arab origin). Nobody cares because they aren't a real faction.

With the MW2 scene. You play as an undercover US Ranger, working for the CIA, acting as a mole in a terrorist organisation. Only that your superiors ratted you out to start a war with Russia so that people care more about American patriotism. Even though the faction is real, such combat with Russia is outlandish at best.

Whereas the Taliban are a very real faction who are engaged in combat with coalition soldiers right now.

Honestly though, I don't really care, it's just a video game. Just wanted to say that they aren't really comparable since the MW series relies on made-up scenarios, whereas MoH is trying a realistic setting. That said, if it wasn't a current conflict, few people would care.

Point taken :cool:
Reply 88
This is just another example of right wing political correctness. This dogma that the soldiers are unquestionable heroes is just an attempt at pro war propaganda.

The government needs to realise they can tell all the sun readers (low educated white working class dole dossers) the soldiers are heroes all day but don't **** with our video games.

Latest

Trending

Trending