The Student Room Group

regretting college course choices

hi so i chose to do a level 3 vocational drama course for college in september but now i am having second thoughts 😭

im not necessarily regretting my decision, it's just that i don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket ??? (got that quote from love island x) like when im older i wanna be an actress but im very aware that the arts industry is super hard to get into and realistically i know there's more of a chance of me not making it than me making it.

i just don't wanna waste my time doing a vocational course for 3 years and then not have anything to fall back on if that make sense??

is there anyway i can do this course for a year and then swap to doing 3 a-levels? the college im going to has drama as an a-level so i will still pick it (i also rlly wanna do chem and english lang) but idk im just so confused (and scared 😭)
Original post by heartfhuls
hi so i chose to do a level 3 vocational drama course for college in september but now i am having second thoughts 😭

im not necessarily regretting my decision, it's just that i don't wanna put all my eggs in one basket ??? (got that quote from love island x) like when im older i wanna be an actress but im very aware that the arts industry is super hard to get into and realistically i know there's more of a chance of me not making it than me making it.

i just don't wanna waste my time doing a vocational course for 3 years and then not have anything to fall back on if that make sense??

is there anyway i can do this course for a year and then swap to doing 3 a-levels? the college im going to has drama as an a-level so i will still pick it (i also rlly wanna do chem and english lang) but idk im just so confused (and scared 😭)

I'm not a particular fan of studying subjects that are not required for anything, unless you can get exceptionally high grades in them.

Unless you're telling me that you want to do something in actuary, engineering, or healthcare/life sciences, doing a level 3 course in any random subject should be OK for most jobs so long the university/professional qualification/employer accepts it.

If you want to cover more bases, I would opt to do English Lit A Level + the other subjects that you want to look into e.g. Chemistry (don't do English Lang or Drama if you're going to do Lit - they're too similar). The English Lit A Level would allow you to do a degree in drama and theatre at picky universities (normally they accept people with any random 3 A Levels).

As acting and theatre don't require any qualifications to begin with, you might want to opt for subjects that are required for certain professions that you're interested in e.g. chemistry for medicine, chemistry, chemical engineering, pharmacy, etc. You can go into acting at any time you want so long you can really perform at auditions and excel in the performances e.g. famous actors like Liam Neeson, Natalie Portman, Samuel Jackson, Mayim Bialik, Cate Blanchett, Rowan Atkinson, Ashton Kutcher, Sacha Baron Cohen, Gerard Butler, John Cleese all have degrees in subjects comepletely different to those in acting/drama/theatre (see: https://targetjobs.co.uk/careers-advice/career-ideas/career-inspiration-what-famous-people-did-their-degrees). If acting didn't worked out for them, they could have easily defaulted to doing what they have studied for. This just goes to show that you can go into the industry with any background.

If by any chance that you did something in drama and ended up not getting into the industry, you options for jobs in the UK would include:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

This is mainly because none of the above required any specific qualifications to get into to start with (the armed and police forces might specifically ask for A Levels though).

If you decide to go back to college (adult college), then you can do courses that are relevant to the following:

Animal care (other than vet)

Some areas of construction and certain trades

Some areas of beauty and wellbeing

Some areas of engineering

You can go into the following areas with specific professional qualifications (irrespective of what previous qualifications you have):

Accounting

Actuary (if you have a math background e.g. A Level Maths)

Law (CILEx)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

If all else fails, you can always try to get into teaching; they're usually looking for people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending