The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not really, I can think in other languages and have memories in other languages too.
Reply 2
Serentonin
Nah not really, I spent a year in South Korea when i was 16, and pretty much all the memories I have from that are in Korean.

Well to be honest you can't have memories in a language. Your memories are "images/passages of film" which can be put into a language by the brain. This is because the brain links words to images. These images in your brain come from the senses, i.e. reality.
Reply 3
I speak 3 languages, and I can't say I think in a particular one. So imho, people think in terms of ideas/images but not int terms of series of words.
Reply 4
Papkin
I speak 3 languages, and I can't say I think in a particular one. So imho, people think in terms of ideas/images but not int terms of series of words.

you can obviously conjure up an image in your head, such as of a cat or dog. But the definition of thinking is talking to yourself and you need a language to talk to yourself in.
Reply 5
Language and memory aren't bound in my brain, it's pretty random. Sometimes I remember speaking English while I actually spoke French or vice versa, or even remember somebody speaking in a language they don't speak. Sometimes I don't remember what language was spoken at all, just the meaning.
Reply 6
Most of the time I don't monologue in my head though, so am not really thinking in any single language.
Reply 7
You need to go to an international school and meet some multi-lingual kids.

Being fluent in more than one language from a young age is absolutely fascinating, really. They're not limited to one language in the way you seem to assume.
Reply 8
RamlakU
Wrong.

please elaborate.
Reply 9
magicmousemeat
you can obviously conjure up an image in your head, such as of a cat or dog. But the definition of thinking is talking to yourself and you need a language to talk to yourself in.

Not it's not.

How would children learn to speak if they couldn't think beforehand? Are you suggesting babies can't think?
Reply 10
magicmousemeat
Well to be honest you can't have memories in a language. Your memories are "images/passages of film" which can be put into a language by the brain. This is because the brain links words to images. These images in your brain come from the senses, i.e. reality.

Xurvi
Language and memory aren't bound in my brain, it's pretty random. Sometimes I remember speaking English while I actually spoke French or vice versa, or even remember somebody speaking in a language they don't speak. Sometimes I don't remember what language was spoken at all, just the meaning.

This. I speak fluently three languages. Spanish and Catalan are my mother tongues, but I am fluent in English as well.
I can't remember sometimes in what language I said something, just a moment ago, or can't remember in what language happened something. I remember the meaning, and unless the words really impressed me, I'll put them in the language I'm thinking at the moment. I usually think in Spanish, because that's what I speak at home and with most of my best friends (with most of my other friends I speak in Catalan, though), but I also think in Catalan and English. Sometimes even a mixture of the three.
Reply 11
Actually watching grass grow is more interesting than this thread tbh.
ily_em
Not it's not.

How would children learn to speak if they couldn't think beforehand? Are you suggesting babies can't think?

That is a whole other story. You have to realise I'm talking about adults. babies are different, no one really knows how babies think. Do you remember thinking before you knew a language?

And children learn to speak by listening and relating an object in real life to a word in that language. Like you will see little kids see a car and shout out "car".
Reply 13
magicmousemeat
That is a whole other story. You have to realise I'm talking about adults. babies are different, no one really knows how babies think. Do you remember thinking before you knew a language?

And children learn to speak by listening and relating an object in real life to a word in that language. Like you will see little kids see a car and shout out "car".

Of course I don't remember that far back.

The child sees the object and relates it to a word. To be able to relate it to the word they need to be able to recall what the object is - therefore think about it, even if it's just an image of the car.
ily_em
Of course I don't remember that far back.

The child sees the object and relates it to a word. To be able to relate it to the word they need to be able to recall what the object is - therefore think about it, even if it's just an image of the car.

I'm gettin confused lol and so are you probably.
Does your definition of recalling involve words?
Reply 15
magicmousemeat
Don't people find it interesting that all your memories, thoughts and knowledge is limited to one language usually. Like most people in the uk are taught all their subjects in English.
Therefore your whole world revolves around that language, quite interesting tbh.

People can choose to learn other languages. Or talk at home in other languages.
I only speak 2 native languages, planning on learning others later depending on where I end up living. Fun watching TV sometimes where they say one language and the translation gives a slightly different slant.
Reply 16
magicmousemeat

So you are suggesting that thinking only can occur once you have the language down pat enough to speak the thoughts?

Not my experience at all.
Reply 17
mart2306
So you are suggesting that thinking only can occur once you have the language down pat enough to speak the thoughts?

Not my experience at all.

I concur!
I don't think I think in any language when, for instance, solving an equation. But it is most certainly 'process of thinking' at its best. :smile:
Papkin
I concur!
I don't think I think in any language when, for instance, solving an equation. But it is most certainly 'process of thinking' at its best. :smile:

you talk to yourself when solving an equation to process it and imagine the numbers and add them etc.
Reply 19
I'm bilingual. I've been speaking 2 languages since birth :sexface:

Latest

Trending

Trending